Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to hold'em, when to fold'em?

Man, it's been awhile guys.

This gets a little personal, though mainly perched on what to do with my cars.

The past few years has been more than tough for many of us, some worse than others.
    Please don't confuse this as a call for pity more like, someone please insert a boot in my ass to get me motivated.
    Over the past year I've sold out of a fledgling company in land development (wonder why?) lost my my family through divorce ( I mean gone, I share some blame but she lost it completely), my dog passed,Been in an over two year lawsuit with my bank, everything short of my ol'truck being stolen I've all but lived a country song.

So here's the point.
    Recently I've done little but survive, and while I'm grateful to be able to do so, it's been at a cost.
    I've done little with any of my projects, and really don't have much desire to. I'm at a point now where i need to pick up my ass and press forward or fold it up and move on. I'm aware this may be considered blasphemy to most but given the scenario I don't care.This may come off as a call for motivation (which in some regard it is.) but really it's more of a what the hell am i doing. Since i was 15 I've spent the greater part of my income on cars or anything with wheels.Well now I'm to the point where I'm taking personal stock in what I've got, and to be honest it's really a bunch of junk, with potential. So, what do you do.

I've got the Nova which was the first car I ever owned, it's completely disassembled, and awaiting a full revamp, which includes none of it's original drive train.

I've got the BMW which was my second car, I've amassed quite a large amount of hardware for, but now I conflicted on spending time and money on a car with basically 200Hp.

And the Bug (Bugnotti to those here) which is the one that really calls to me as the most fun and satisfying of the group.

I'm leaving several out because I just don't care to work on them right now.
    The biggest problem in this whole conundrum is A. money, B. money, C. motivation, and D. dedication.
    Given the point of this post obviously I'm lacking ALL of the above.

So what would you do. I'm currently wasting money on a massive warehouse which gets little to no use at all.
    And can't seem to muster the mental capacity to solve all these problems let alone design a a low budget beater that resembles a Bugatti.

I call to my fellow Brethren here,with whom I've had little access to other than reading the headline page a couple times a week. I used to be able to talk to you guys daily but life happens and has continued to do so in a way which isn't conducive to my interests. We've all had struggles and now I'm asking advise from you guys who have gone through some as well.

What to do?

Thanks in advanced,
    Chris

Re: When to hold'em, when to fold'em?

Chris, great to hear from you again. Sorry that your personal road has been so rocky.

I really think the Bugnotti is the one to go with. It will be an awesome outlet for you to clear your head and focus your energy on some positive stuff, building something.

That's my take, for what it's worth.

Anyway, glad to see you around and thanks for reading when you could. Seems like you've been through the worst of it man, time to start lookin' up.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

It's cool that you reach out to your online friends, spend some time with your regular friends.... hit car shows, browse swap meets. It's what I did when I was super depressed and it really helped out..... I didn't work on cars because they simply forced me to be alone (hard to talk over a DA or a grinder) and alone was the last place I needed to be.

Friends are more important then cars.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I don't know you, post here seldom, but feel your pain. Maybe... empty the warehouse and sell what you can in "as is" condition at the swap meets. It's talking to other car guys. Then find a smaller place - to work on Bugnotti - as we can tell that's the one you really want to go with. Let go of the other stuff as this point, and make yourself smile driving the one you really want. It would be a positive move I think, and one done CAN be fun.
        Jim T
        Supercar Collectibles
        www.Supercar1.com

Comment

Dang that is rough. The bugatti sounds like a cool unique vehicle to work with. I like Buickguy's advice, and I'll echo it. Go out and attend events, build the inspiration and dreams back up. Of course any project will fight you, but it's the challenges overcome that make the result so much sweeter. Good Luck man and I hope for the best.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Keep your head up dude.....Focus on one thing and give your all.....then the result will be a major pick me up.

Seth
            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Chris
              Great to see you back here - I had often wondered what was going on with you - I always read updates to the bugnotti thread with great interest.

I have been through some of what you are going through, divorce sucks, having to sell stuff you love to pay for bills or everyday needs sucks... but I can tell you this - be true to yourself, don't sell out - be honest with yourself and take things one at a time.

Life does go on - and you will emerge from this dark valley stronger than ever before.

I had to sell my boss302 with #s matching engine ready to assemble - and a running 351c4v in it - along with a pile of parts - for $7500 back in 2000. Sure the car wasn't perfect - but it wasn't rusty - it was complete with nice paint and a full interior - rebuilt engine and trans - ready to drive anywhere - and I'd built it from a bare shell out of three cars.... that was painful. But I was happy to be moving on.

Do you see any possibility of making any money out of that warehouse space? can you move some of your stuff to give a tenant some room to help offset your costs?

I understand the lack of motivation - maybe it's best to get out and do some things you truly love, reconnect with some old friends - make some new friends - call up that cousin you haven't talked to in too long --- whatever the case may be.... spend sometime grounding yourself and connecting with folks you care about and enjoy their company.... then come back to the cars with a fresh perspective.

I would keep the bugnotti, and most likely I'd keep all of it....
              (real hard to sell unfinished projects - let alone in this economy)

PM me if you want to comiserate off line.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks guys, You delivered what i was expecting.

I'm not sure what the road holds, but I'm trying to push forward.
                I've been hanging out with friends, and while fun for the moment, they're not car guys
                So the end result is nothing but drunken stupidity. I've enjoyed for a bit, but even that is loosing
                It's shine.
                On the plus I've been helping trevor with his project off and on, he's really making some headway were at a point
                where you have a car sitting in front off you, which started life as to front half frame rails, a dash board and a pile of
                sheet metal. Next weekend is beatersville a show here in louisville. We're trying to make it, but not sure.

Once again thanks guys and I'm trying to get my head right, and muster up some motivation to get back in there
                and move on my projects.

Comment

I don't know if you're up for a road trip but a bunch of us will be on Power Tour in 2 weeks -
                  Bowling Green and Chattanooga are near (?) you. - You'll find more car guys that drink beer than you can shake a freaking stick at. Either way - keep your chin up brother - your time is coming again, just be patient.
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

I hope things get better, keep going buddy!!
                    COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

good luck to you bro

Comment

Keep the BUGNOTTI and make it SNOTTI.

Its what feeds your soul, right?

I'd ask yourself this: Is there some other car that I'd like better/more than the NOVA? If the answer is yes, sell it. If the answer is no, keep it because how many guys can say "hey, it's my FIRST car"....

THEN, I'd part out or sell everything else. Put some $$$ in your pocket for the new girlfriend (who is/will be car-friendly, RIGHT?) and for the Bugnotti project...

Comment

Working...
                        X