Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drummers: I need a new set - Suggestions ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drummers: I need a new set - Suggestions ?

I'm replacing my very old Premier set .... I just need a nice 5 piece set

Suggestions ?

where to buy ??

I'm in a local 5 piece band and we play at least once a week somewhere ....

TIA

Re: Drummers: I need a new set - Suggestions ?

Yeah - buy mine. I have a HUGE ol' '80s kit - Tama with Yamaha hardware and custom finish in a kind of graffiti theme. They're pretty cool but I'm wanting to switch over to electronics as I don't play much and it would be great to have a volume knob and better portability. It has a single bass, one snare (metal), 3 shell mount toms and a floor tom. Also cheap high hats on a good Yamaha stand and a REALLY good Istanbul ride cymbal - it's really quite spectacular. There's also a crash and some other stuff. Remember, you can just leave off the stuff you don't want to tote but you have it if you want it. There's cases for all the drums except the snare, and no kit cases.

PM me if interested. I don't know your location but you're welcome to try 'em out if that's possible for you.

Dan

Comment

Local where?

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I've had my pearl exports for years and like them once I lined them all with about 1" of foam to dampen the ringing.

Honestly though - since you're playing out allot and you'll be moving these things - and playing in different sized venues with different required power levels....

I can't say enough good things about the roland electronic set we have at church. I would get the ones that have the heads like our snare has for all the drum positions - ours has rubber pads for the tombs and base... they feel sort of dead, but the white traditional looking head on the snare has great action like an acoustic. I would also consider playing acoustic cymbals and highhat with the rest being electronic - I don't like the lack of volume control of the electronic cymbals.

By the time you add up a good acoustic set (pearl, yamaha, slingerland, tama) with decent shells, heads, and cymbals, then add in cases for transport... and consider the hassle factor of tear down and set up each time - electronics start looking cheap in comparison.
        (electronics can be moved with one person after a few wing nuts are loosened and things swung into a folded position)
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

playing in Lansing

Comment

Originally posted by RAM MAN
            playing in Lansing

Where at? and when?

My recommendation would be Pearls, I have a set of Forum series,
            with Zildian ZBT cymbals.
            Where???...Go to Guitar Center's website, find one near you...
            I've been extremely impressed with them.

Comment

playing in Lansing
              Lansing?

Kansas or Michigan?

Ron
              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward
                playing in Lansing
                Lansing?

Kansas or Michigan?

Ron

I live in Lansing Michigan, I think RAM MAN lives
                here in Michigan as well.

Comment

lately I've been into restoration of good old shells, or better yet - purchase and assemble your own! cheap and you end up with far better shells than what's mentioned here.

But, I am a music snob. My "most played" kit right now is a 7-piece Yamaha Recording Custom - the '94 models, only year with the Nodal Point mount. The toms sound great with 2-ply heads. But, these are expensive drums meant for the recording studio or hardcore concert environment (I bought them for touring with a major act, and some session work)

Seriously, do a little reading on the drummer forums out there, there is a lot of info on making your own. You can build the equivalent of a $10,000 kit for hardly anything, if you don't mind spending the time. Keller makes great shells, and that's what's used in most of the kits mentioned in this post; but, there are other boutique shops that make shells out of all kinds of kickass woods, if that's your thing.

Here's one of many sites for guys who like to "roll their own" https://www.drumfoundry.com/driver.a...are_drum_holes
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Scott - is there anything in your life you haven't turned up to 11?

Seriously - the EFI guy is going old school on the drums - interesting. ;D

Here I was thinking about practicality - ease of movement and the ability to turn up and down the volume with a knob... aside from all the cool sounds the electronics can make (scatting jazz vocals are hilarious)

and Scott has to go all old school build your own true to the wood shells on us.... ;D
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Ugh....
                      I am WAY too much of a drum geek to get involved in this discussion here at work.
                      Why are you getting rid of the Premiers?

Comment

Lansing, MI

we've been the "house band" for the local VFW every week for like 15 years in a row - plus sometimes other gigs at "animal" clubs: you know - the Eagles, the Elks, LOL

Also play at spots like the former Cadillac Club, Harpers, Green Door, Marriott / Holiday Inn etc

not the "big time" LOL

We play a WIDE variety of music

I sold my Roland TD12 just about 2 years ago - probably should have kept it - I had added on another cymbal and another tom (too late now) (I'll have to post a pic) (Actually, I sold it to a guy who said was going to be playing in a Church)

I'm replacing the Premier set because it's seen better days - I bought it new in '74 and changed out the hardware a couple of times

might as well replace the Zildjians while I'm at it ...

Comment

Lansing, MI

we've been the "house band" for the local VFW every week for like 15 years in a row - plus sometimes other gigs at "animal" clubs: you know - the Eagles, the Elks, LOL

Also play at spots like the former Cadillac Club, Harpers, Green Door, Marriott / Holiday Inn etc

not the "big time" LOL

We play a WIDE variety of music

I sold my Roland TD12 just about 2 years ago - probably should have kept it - I had added on another cymbal and another tom (too late now) (I'll have to post a pic) (Actually, I sold it to a guy who said was going to be playing in a Church)

I'm replacing the Premier set because it's seen better days - I bought it new in '74 and changed out the hardware a couple of times

might as well replace the Zildjians while I'm at it ...

What's the bands name?, hell I may already know you...

Comment

Um......what have you got for cymbals you'd like to replace?
                            ;D

What kind of music are you playing?
                            Do you load in & out for every gig?
                            Or are the drums kind of a fixture there?
                            How rough are you with hardward & so forth?
                            Most importantly, what are you looking to spend?

I used to work in a retail drum department & loved getting the right peolpe behind the right kits.
                            Of course, that was 12 years ago now.....I really don't know what's out there for brand new stuff.

I really wish I wasn't in work at the momen...I could talk drums all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Richie
                              Um......what have you got for cymbals you'd like to replace?
                              ;D

What kind of music are you playing?
                              Do you load in & out for every gig?
                              Or are the drums kind of a fixture there?
                              How rough are you with hardward & so forth?
                              Most importantly, what are you looking to spend?

I used to work in a retail drum department & loved getting the right peolpe behind the right kits.
                              Of course, that was 12 years ago now.....I really don't know what's out there for brand new stuff.

I really wish I wasn't in work at the momen...I could talk drums all day.
                              Richie, we should get to know you a little better. Surprisingly, there are a lot of musicians on this forum from all kinds of different backgrounds.

Milner, remember, I'm not actually a "car guy" - what you guys spent on project cars, I have that much in microphones and preamps. I like recording acoustic percussion.
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X