Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drummers: I need a new set - Suggestions ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drummers: I need a new set - Suggestions ?

Originally posted by min301
    Originally posted by RAM MAN
    Lansing, MI

we've been the "house band" for the local VFW every week for like 15 years in a row - plus sometimes other gigs at "animal" clubs: you know - the Eagles, the Elks, LOL

Also play at spots like the former Cadillac Club, Harpers, Green Door, Marriott / Holiday Inn etc

not the "big time" LOL

We play a WIDE variety of music

I sold my Roland TD12 just about 2 years ago - probably should have kept it - I had added on another cymbal and another tom (too late now) (I'll have to post a pic) (Actually, I sold it to a guy who said was going to be playing in a Church)

I'm replacing the Premier set because it's seen better days - I bought it new in '74 and changed out the hardware a couple of times

might as well replace the Zildjians while I'm at it ...

What's the bands name?, hell I may already know you...

Repost...c'mon RAM MAN!

Comment

It's just older Musicians who are not ready to stop playing yet (I'm the young guy who will be 52 later this year )

the Current band name is "Charlie and the Tune-ah's", but before that it was the "Rythmaires"

Years before that, I was the drummer for a local Big Band group called the "Aristocrats"

we're usually in the local rag paper called "Whats On"

We play at the VFW 701 over on Rosemary Street in Lansing every Tuesday night from 730-10:30 and there's no cover charge ... sometimes we play at other places but we have been the "house band" there every week for over 12 years....

Like I said, nothing special, just some guys who still like to get together and play a variety of music ... for example, we play some older Jazz standards like "In the Mood" or Satin Doll", some Polka's like "Beer Barrel", some Waltz's like the Tennesse Waltz, some Country like "Act Naturally" or "Green Green Grass of Home", some older rock songs like Elvis era stuff, or some Latin stuff like "Green Dolphin Street"

if you don't have anything better to do, stop by and say HI ... my name is David ...

thanks

Comment

Cool bro...me and my better half will stop by next tuesday,
        BTW, my bro in laws band is playing at the "Whiskey Barrel"
        aka the old Sparty's on June 3rd.

We'll get together tuesday.
        See ya Dave...

Comment

will be nice to meet you

thanks

Comment

Bill and Mindy is good folks. Next time I'm MI we'll have to find a Tuesday and do this.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by milner351

I can't say enough good things about the roland electronic set we have at church.
              Ditto that. I have a Roland electric kit in the studio. Milner, on mine you CAN adjust the volume of one pad versus another.

But the electric kits are not for purists. All the pads are rubber, so you lose the feel of hitting a real drum head or cymbal. You have no volume control with the sticks, as in how hard you hit it doesn't matter. But I have a couple of rim-shot pads I added for the snare and the crash cymbal. Two different sounds from one pad.

I'dda given anything if the drummer in the big band 15 years ago had an electric kit. He hit his Ludwig's so hard, we didn't have enough watts to play over him. And he wanted mics as well. So we gave him mics, but they were turned off. Like he needed more volume in a tiny venue. Uhhh, no he didn't. Too loud to start with.

Yeah, I'm a sold fan of the electrics because you can adjust the volume with a knob. But again, it's not for purists. Since I was not a drummer to start with, I had no problem in rationalizing the benefits of the electric kit.

peewee

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
              X