Knockin off tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knockin off tires

OK, long story short, a friend of mine can sandblast my wheels for free if I can get them to him, any SAFE way to knock off the tires in my driveway that doesn't involve running them over or chopping them off with a knife (2 suggestions people have actually told me)
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Re: Knockin off tires

I removed tires in a d.i.y. wrecking yard once (they were gonna charge for them if I left them on the wheels, and I wasn't interested) by using a bumper jack to break the beads. The jack was positioned as normal under a car bumper except the base was placed on the tire at the rim edge. Then you had to work at it a bit, using tire irons.

It wasn't easy, and not good for the tires so I wouldn't reccommend it if you were trying to save them. What you really need is a buddy at a tire store.

Comment

Yeah, I could do that for one of them, but the other 2 tires are good and I'd like to keep them

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback
        Yeah, I could do that for one of them, but the other 2 tires are good and I'd like to keep them
        you only have 3 tires? ;D

but seriously, my friends have always set a big piece of wood on the sidewall and then drove up it with a car to break the bead and then take the tire off the rim with a big pry bar. its a PITA sometimes but the tires were always fine

Comment

I break down tires all the time in my barn. I just use my bottle jack to pop the beads, and a pair of cheap tire spoons to slip the tire all the way off. Remount is reverse, I've done dozens and haven't hurt a tire yet.

Tire spoons are the key to not hurting the tires. Crowbars and large screwdrivers will screw up the beads every time.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Bottle jack, like up against the frame of something?

Hey 88montecarlo, I'm taking that sig when you're done with it! ;D
            Pretending it ain't shit makes you an idiot, not an optimist." - shitmydadsays
            I'd read some of those but missed that one. It's a classic.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss
              you only have 3 tires? ;D
              I was wondering if anybody would notice that
              one wheel is silver and not correct for my car, I have the correct wheel without a tire on it, I'll keep the gray/silver one as a full size spare

Comment

Originally posted by Loren
                Bottle jack, like up against the frame of something?
                Exactly. I use different things, depends on the wheel/tire width. Sometimes my van does the job, sometimes my tractor gets drafted. Just has to have some real weight to it, and sit high enough obviously.

Comment

Stiney - do you mount tires with the ether and a match method?
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

OK, long story short, a friend of mine can sandblast my wheels for free if I can get them to him, any SAFE way to knock off the tires in my driveway that doesn't involve running them over or chopping them off with a knife (2 suggestions people have actually told me)
                    I bet if you pull them off the car and take them to a local gas station with a tire machine, they'd do it for like 5 bucks a piece.
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                      I bet if you pull them off the car and take them to a local gas station with a tire machine, they'd do it for like 5 bucks a piece.
                      Yeah, so far this sounds like the best option. My local shop is $6/tire.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                        Stiney - do you mount tires with the ether and a match method?
                        Let's just say while mounting tires my kids are outside the building and only my best friends will help me.

Its not that violent really, once you get used to it. Even my wife has lost her skittishness over the years. I do miss the old ether however, the new stuff with top-end lubricant just isn't the same.

(Its a last ditch effort in reality, only used when all other options fail. Usually only tires like in these pictures need "special techniques" if anyone out there has ever tried to seat some thin floppy tires like this you know what I mean. And yeah, I have a cheatah tank, ratchet straps, etc....)

Comment

oh the happy days of 4 wheeling with cans of ether ;D

seriously though - it depends on the size of tire and rim size..... like was said - use a block of wood to drive up on and knock the tire off (on both sides).... get some large (at least 3' or 4') pry bars (2).... a friend to stand on the wheel and hold one bar... use the other bar to get it off like you would a bike tire..... success varies on the friend, the size of the tire as a ratio to the rim, .... in any case, you'll wish you'd have spent the 5 bucks at America's tire store.....

oh yeah, the downside(s)..... I know of someone who knocked their ass out when the bar came back (friend let go).... I also know of another one who broke a rib or two when they forgot to put their pants on and brought their skirt packin muscles.... did I mention it's a lot of work? ;D
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

bring em by the shop
                            or buy a bead hammer at your local truck parts store

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY

Stiney, are those dual Kadrons I see? Cool rail, man!

Ron
                              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
                              X