Project car now has tunes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project car now has tunes

I got the car on the road last spring with no tunes in the car 'till just now.
    I didn't want to put a modern radio in the car and I also didn't want to just have the stock am radio ???
    I also didn't want to spend much cash. :

I invented my own 'hiden audio', here is what I did.
    I had four speakers on hand, I also bought an amplifier (Sony - $100). I wired the amp in the trunk right behind the back seat. The input for the amp is simply my Ipod ;).
    I ran a cord (including adapters) from the RC amp input to the Ipod output/headphone jack.
    I have two speakers in the rear deck, and two small speakers in the front where the goofy oval speaker originally was.

The plan worked :D
    I now realize that instlalling audio equipment in a car is a huge pain. >
    This should be pretty cool, simply plug my Ipod into a little pigtail that runs under the dash and push play.
    I also have space to eventually install some guages where the radio was placed originally.

Re: Project car now has tunes

Nice work!

now - show us the adaptors and wiring required!

Have you noticed any alternator wine? I've had some installs where there was no background noise at all, others where I just couldn't find the source of the engine RPM related whine - and blamed it on cheap equipment.

Great ideas!
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The wiring was simple, the execution was a PITA. :
      I made a little diagram, I have a trunk mounted battery and my amp is also in the trunk behind the rear seat. Speaker/amp mounting and routing wire was the time consuming part. Well, that and going to the store 5 times for supplies.

Comment

Great job! Have you got pictures to go with your diagram?

Other people who don't have music in their cars would be too lazy to do this and just put on iPod headphones and become total road hazards.

Comment

you can get the connectors from radio shack, I did that back in the early 90s when my truck got broken into and they stole my radio and left the other stereo componets, but back then i had to use my walkman but still worked the same
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Working...
          X