We went fishing this morning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We went fishing this morning...

My buddy Johnny and I went out to our favorite small local lake here in Topeka this morning. Lake Shawnee was built waaaay back in 1933 as a WPA project and has continued to be a fantastic fishing hole. We got out there around 6 am and I broke out the big, black Lunker Buzz. I started casting into the thick weed beds along the edge of the bank and it took me all of 10 minutes to find this big guy.

Although I didn't have a scale to weigh him, I am guessing between 3 and 3-1/2 lbs, but I DID have a tape measure and he eclipsed the 20" mark. Not too shabby! Look at the gut on him! Somebody has been eating well.

I caught several more bass, 6 largemouth and a really scrappy smallmouth, but nothing near the size of the first one. Afer about an hour, I decided to move up on the dam. I was throwing a Ghost Shad colored X-Rap trying to entice a wiper to thump it, but low and behold, this nice crappie decided to test his mettle against the lure.

Lake Shawnee is known for large catfish and great bass fishing, but it is not known for producing large crappie. This is the largest crappie I have ever pulled out of the lake, stretching the tape to 14"!

Johnny only caught one smallmouth. I flat put the hurt on him! Fun fun fun!

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Re: We went fishing this morning...

Great angling! I've fished Shawnee, too - but didn't do as well.
    My brother lives on a small spring-fed lake on the east side of Wichita, and does really well.
    3 weeks ago he caught over 30 pounds of cass and crappie over the weekend. TOO much fun!
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I hated guys like you when I was in Alaska..I could not catch a cold if I made out with a sick hooker up there...but I fished with guys who would land monster Kings and Silvers with nothing but a freaking hook (no bait allowed so we used large treble hooks on spinners or spoons)

I went ice fishing for the first time and within 30 minutes all my buddies had their limit of brown trout...I still had not got one...then after 2 hours I landed my first one....then in about 15 minutes I hit my limit.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Nice! Thats a good sized crappie! I'm goin out in the am tomorrow for a little large mouth action and maybe some bluegills just for fun Last year my most fun day of fishing was out on the river ....catching channel cats and broke my baitcast pole so all I had left was my 4lb test ultralight. Finished off most the day with that. Ran into a big mess of carp and caught 15-20 BIG carp (5-25lbs) on an ultralight Took a while to get them to the boat, but it was fun 8)

Comment

Damn it Ron ;D I was going to work in the yard and paint the garage and you ruined it. ;) Did you catch that bass on the south end on the west side or off the heated docks?Glad someone has had some luck fishing this spring.

Comment

Originally posted by ksj1
            Damn it Ron ;D I was going to work in the yard and paint the garage and you ruined it. ;) Did you catch that bass on the south end on the west side or off the heated docks?Glad someone has had some luck fishing this spring.
            Don,

No, I did not catch that bass in either of the locations you mentioned. And no, I am not going to give away where I DID catch it! LOL!

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Fishing locations are like cam specs!!!....lol
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Nice work Ron - sounds like I could learn a lot from you about fishing.

We live on a lake that is supposed to be good for fishing - the problem is - I'm no good at fishing!

That large mouth is bigger than many I've seen mounted!
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward
                  Don,

No, I did not catch that bass in either of the locations you mentioned. And no, I am not going to give away where I DID catch it! LOL!

Ron
                  Between you and Dan I can feel the love ;D ;D

Comment

Don,

I am going again tonight. I will be sure and take another photo so you can drool! LOL

Ron

Comment

There have been books written on what I don't know about fishing. So here's a couple of questions:

When a fish is mounted for display, can you eat the meat from that fish? I'm assuming that they would just use the skin for the mount but that's a guess.

Just how fast ARE bass, anyway. I keep seeing these 500HP bass boats so I've got to think that those little devils can swim like 100 mph.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                        Nice work Ron - sounds like I could learn a lot from you about fishing.

We live on a lake that is supposed to be good for fishing - the problem is - I'm no good at fishing!

That large mouth is bigger than many I've seen mounted!
                        They'd need to call it CATCHING before the wife could get me to go - she loves to fish, me not so much.
                        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Don,

Ron
                          Between you and Dan I can feel the love ;D ;D
                          If it makes you feel better, I have caught a fish this year. Keep in mind...I'm severely allergic to fish products. ;D "Couldn't catch a cold if I made out with a sick hooker"... :D
                          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                            There have been books written on what I don't know about fishing. So here's a couple of questions:

When a fish is mounted for display, can you eat the meat from that fish? I'm assuming that they would just use the skin for the mount but that's a guess.

Just how fast ARE bass, anyway. I keep seeing these 500HP bass boats so I've got to think that those little devils can swim like 100 mph.

Dan
                            Ummm.... I catch and release so I am not sure about the taxidermy question. Occasionally I will take some walleye or white bass home for dinner, but not often. I just don't like cleaning the damned things!

I am not sure how fast a largemouth bass is, but I have been told that wipers can achieve 40 mph bursts. That, folks, is hauling ass underwater.

Ron

Comment

Don,

Ron
                              Come On Ron! Take Don FISHING. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X