Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old plane from Nazi Germany,found and brought to land.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old plane from Nazi Germany,found and brought to land.

There have been,and is still a lot of old Nazi eguipment lying around here.Watch this vid from yesterday,when this plane was brought to land after 70 years in the sea..

Re: Old plane form Nazi Germany,found and brought to land.

A Messie BF-109.

I didn't think holding that thing by the tail was a good idea.

Still, it's hard to think of what someone will pay for that thing.

My favorite WWII plane, BF-109 "Black 6",

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Re: Old plane form Nazi Germany,found and brought to land.

Wow!
      pretty amazing what would really be crazy is if the guy that shot it down was still alive to to tell the story.

Comment

Re: Old plane from Nazi Germany,found and brought to land.

I like WWII history, and this is just NEAT!

Kinda mixed feelings about bringing stuff up from the ocean....sure, there's the preservation and historical aspect of it(which is VERY important), but then, this could very well have been someone's "grave"...Allied or Axis, this should've been considered a "war grave' and left intact....slippery slope, folks.

Thanks for sharing this, Arild!

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
          I like WWII history, and this is just NEAT!

Kinda mixed feelings about bringing stuff up from the ocean....sure, there's the preservation and historical aspect of it(which is VERY important), but then, this could very well have been someone's "grave"...Allied or Axis, this should've been considered a "war grave' and left intact....slippery slope, folks.

Thanks for sharing this, Arild!
          This plane landed on the ice in March 1943 after it got engine trouble.So the pilot got away.There are more planes like this one around here,but as you say..graves should be left intact..and most folks respect that.But divers can go into the sea at night,so no control there.

Comment

WHOOPS !

Is that typical weather there this time of year ?
            sigpic

Comment

I love WWII Planes, and wrecks like that
              However
              It was under water for 70 years, right?
              Wouldn't removing it damage the ecosystem, since it would, by now, by a man made reef?
              Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDad
                WHOOPS !

Is that typical weather there this time of year ?
                Yeah,,guess so..there can be nice and sunny in May,but its rare..june and july are better ;).

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback
                  I love WWII Planes, and wrecks like that
                  However
                  It was under water for 70 years, right?
                  Wouldn't removing it damage the ecosystem, since it would, by now, by a man made reef?
                  These fjords are so big and deep,that a reef less..is like a sand dune in sahara ;D.The plane doesnt look to have been used as a reef however.Looks clean.

Comment

I was gonna comment, the water in Norway is likely too damned cold to support a reef, natural or man-made.

Arild, thanks for the clarification of the status of the Messerschmidt's pilot at the time of the crash/sinking.

Wasn't trying to be an ass, just seen quite a few "treasure hunters" disturb/remove the wreckage of sunken/wrecked planes, particularly in the Pacific.

The German people are flat awe-inspiring with their technological marvels.....too bad some of those innovations brought about such destruction at times(the same could be said of the rest of us around the world, not picking on just one).

But in regards to the sunken wreckage.....salt water isn't kind to the structural integrity of the plane's metal.

Comment

Yeah, ain't many reefs in the North Atlantic. Aluminum builds a natural corrosion resistance (passivation) as is oxidizes, then it's "rust" is not permeable like iron's is and forms a barrier to further corrosion. Of course any tiny abrasive action on it scrubs that out, and material will disappear in no time. It is remarkable how well that aircraft has held up.

Germans seem to have had a habit last century of having their organizational and technological abilities mis-used. I'm not sure that even they trust themselves since. Btw I'm half German.

Regarding gravesites, I surely hope that whatever the spot I die in will be treated with some respect and consideration by my freinds and peers, and their children. However I do not ask that it remain a holy site forever. Just my belief.

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
                        The German people are flat awe-inspiring with their technological marvels.....too bad some of those innovations brought about such destruction at times(the same could be said of the rest of us around the world, not picking on just one).
                        Chris, you bring up an interesting point that I was just talking about with a Vet of the Korean war, he said "how did we ever beat the Germans in WWII, when they had such advanced tech", and my point of view on that has always been,

good will win over evil intent always.

Like Patton said, " War is not about dying for your country, its about making some son-ofa-bitch die for his"

The Duxford Air Museum in the UK could make that plane fly-able again, those caps are that good.

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by mustang13

Chris, you bring up an interesting point that I was just talking about with a Vet of the Korean war, he said "how did we ever beat the Germans in WWII, when they had such advanced tech", and my point of view on that has always been,

good will win over evil intent always.
                          They were still just one small country (with a couple of buddies), and we were the whole rest of the world. And...the U.S. was all set up for manufacturing and out of bomber range.

As far as good will and evil intent, well, the winner writes the history. The good guys did win that time, but not always.

Comment

Is was superior numbers over superior weapons. We just out built them on all fronts.

ME109's were the first vehicles I know of that were nitrous sniffers. I once met an old timey drag racer who had a nitrous set up that outdated any kit ones by a decade. His bottle had inspection stamps going up the entire side right up to the Nazi swastika. His father brought it back from the war. He was part of the Army groups that were testing captured German planes and such.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

HI-Jack warning.

I've been watching this thread, and especially having just gotten back from Germany find the history pretty incredible. I toured the Concentration Camp Mittlebau-Dora, which was a working camp not a death camp (though there was a 30% mortality rate). The interesting thing about this camp was the people were first put to work mining out miles of tunnels in the hill side, then later put to work in factories set up in these tunnels. Several things were built in them, including the V1 rockets. There were also very large storage tanks in there for oil and such. After the American's liberated the camp the Russian's dynamited the tunnels, then in 1995 one of the entrances was re-established for tours.

The re-established entrance:

The metal tubing is a scale model of the tunnel's layout. Only a very very small fraction of the tunnel is now accessable, maybe around 2 feet of the model.

Remanents of a V1 Rocket

Manufacturing rubble.

Compasses/gyro's for the V1's. They are under water.

It was very interesting.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X