The Nashville, TN Flood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nashville, TN Flood

I thought a lot about this. This one is testy. Talked it over with Unit. She said go for it (not to relay blame for the consequences).

This one is socially testy. I'm not real comfortable with it. The photos are real, but the text dialogue is slanted. Very slanted. This is not funny. But I feel strongly enough to post it to show what happened 150 miles from our house just a few weeks ago.

The slant on the dialogue...well, you'll see. And as much as a slant it is, I personally can't say it's not true. Facts are facts. Slant or not. This might get me banned, one disaster compared to another. But I have to do it:

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: The Nashville, TN Flood

sad days , but them there volunteers will get up and running in no time

Comment

an out loud disaster is better than a perfect silent one.

Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main
        an out loud disaster is better than a perfect silent one.

Boxer, I apologize for not understanding what that means. What do you mean?

Comment

what is the sound of one hand clapping ?

Comment

it seems this administration will not admit to anything bad happening on it's watch.

Seriously - the BP well has been spewing oil into the gulf for over a month.

Nashville was flooded to the same epic proportions as Katrina in the gulf states.... but the media is surprisingly quiet on both issues...

God help all those affected by the recent disasters.... it will take years to recover.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I did find it interesting that the flood only got news press after Country music stars came home to houses underwater. Nothing happened to my house but 3 of my NCOs had water damage of some sort. I guess it's because instead of looting and shooting at the rescuers we just put on our hip waders and got out the johnboat and went looking for our neighbors then piled on the sandbags.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Now there is a politician blaming the Corps of Engineers for the food because they had to open a dam to save it:

IDIOT = politician once again.........I would like to see all of the money spent on the investigation come out of his salary!....Pure grandstanding!!!

And yes Nashville already looks better than New Orleans does. They are willing to do what needs to be done in Music City.
                A.K.A. Brian
                Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

I don't find anything wrong with the statements made in this presentation - and I'm as liberal as they come. The reality (and I'm not saying it's OK) is that the oil well disaster has overpowered virtually all other news, at least here in NC. Not sure what TV John is watching, but on the national evening news shows I've seen nearly all coverage IS about the well and the impact on the Gulf coast. A lot of national focus has also been diverted by the Arizona immigrant law.

I agree that the Tennessee disaster has not been covered as it should be and that the folks there haven't gotten the help they need - and deserve. And I heartily commend the residents for stepping up and handling this in a noble and decent way. I'm sure there have been a few jerks, too, but from the limited news I have seen it looks like the folks there have shown a lot of class. Good for them. I hope our government will step up, too, in the near future.

Dan

Comment

Let me start off by saying that I did not watch the link. I have dial up and it would have taken several hours for a video to load. I can imagine what it was about, though. 'Why has the media ignored the flooding in Nashville?!' Am I right? Well that hits a nerve, so y'all are about to hear a rant. I have been hearing that crap since it happened and it just pisses me off. First of all it is a baldly false statement. I lived in Tennessee for close to 20 years and have relatives and close friends all over the state. I was texting, calling, and emailing people in Memphis all that day while watching weather reports from Memphis news in one window and constant updates on CNN and MSNBC in others. For days afterward I would see constant updates on the news. LOCAL news. in Wisconsin. I bought a USA today twice in the week after the storms. I bought them for the puzzles, not for any particular article. Both times there was coverage of Memphis and Nashville, once on the front page above the fold. Craig Ferguson Asked people to donate to relief efforts during his opening monologue one night. If this was being ignored, than how the hell was I able to be constantly updated and even warn people when another wave of storms was coming and keep up with the aftermath when I am over 10 hours away with no cable TV?
                    Tornado sirens had started going off at 4:00am in Memphis and were still going off at 2:00am the next morning. More than one person told me it sounded like Armagedon. I was seeing pictures of my friends swimming in their front yards between waves of storms. I was almost out of my mind because friends and family had spent virtually the entire day huddled in the bathroom or under stairs waiting out wave after wave of severe storms. A funnel cloud that was producing grapefruit sized hail was on a direct course for a good friends house. A levee in Millington collapsed and flooded out other friends. Thankfully no one I know was hurt and the damage was surprisingly minimal. If the worst would have happened and someone I know died, and some blood sucking news hound had stuck a camera in their families face while they were still trying to comprehend what had happened, I would have lost it. I would hunt that son of a bitch down and shoved that camera down their throat.
                    Although I no longer live there, Tennessee will always hold a special place in my life. I grew up there. I learned to drive there. I learned to wrench on cars there. My first love was a beautiful Tennessee girl, and I have been lucky enough to have loved other remarkable women from that state. I have learned the true meaning of friendship and loyalty from the greatest people I have ever met there. I can say without a doubt that Tennessee does not need the worlds attention. Whether anyone is watching or not, we will do what is right. Quietly and with no fanfare. After the storms were over in Nashville, I was immediately reading about family and neighbors taking in people who were worse off than they were. There was an off duty fireman who was helping his neighbors move their possesions upstairs before the floods hit. He kept going until his wife told him it was time to stop saving his neighbors stuff and save his own. The water was starting to come in their house and he had spent all day helping others without touching his own possesions. While I may not listen to much country music, I can say without a doubt that the musicians are some of the most generous, hardest working people you will ever meet. Whether it's blood, sweat, or money, they will always help out.
                    You want to make a political statement? Go somewhere else.
                    You want to exploit the pain and suffering of people? Hug a root buddy. You're liable to get hurt doing that around here. Tennessee does not need you or your pity. We take care of our own.
                    Y'all want to lend a hand? We sure would appreciate it and we'll do our best to help you out the next time you need it.

End rant.

http://www.nashvilleredcross.org/ind...ulo=78T3Z2WSK0
                    I'm probably wrong

Comment

why did they ignore the disaster in kentucky mining area last year ?

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                        why did they ignore the disaster in kentucky mining area last year ?
                        Spider, I'm not familar with the Kentucky thing, but there was a sort-of recent mess in a coal mine in West Virginia. One of our friends from the website is married to a big coal mining guy in WV so I emailed her and asked here if they were involved. She said they weren't in it, but it was close to home. Another company involved. She pointed out that what the media was spouting was not even close to what actually happened.

Staggering, the difference between what the coal minig community was saying and what the media was saying. Staggering.

And we watch the news and believe it all, because it's on TV. Well, don't get me started on that.....

Comment

unless there's some political reason, they'll ignore any northern disaster. We've had 100 year floods in 96, 2002, and 2006.... no national coverage. In 2005 we had a windstorm that packed higher winds then Katrina... nothing. A snowstorm in 2008/9 dumped twice the amount of snow EVER recorded it truly stopped anyone without a Hummer.... nothing.
                          There's no news in "people pick up, clean up, and get back to normal life".... only reason we saw Katrina was because of the terrible things a group of people did.
                          Nashville is the same... you guys will clean up; never ask anyone for help... wouldn't occur to you; and get on with life. IMO you're far better people BECAUSE you were not in the news.
                          Watching the disaster unfold again in Lousiana.... it's again got political tones - and it's in the news..... ironic thing is, it's not the worst oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.... anyone want to show their knowledge and say what and when it was?
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                            ironic thing is, it's not the worst oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.... anyone want to show their knowledge and say what and when it was?
                            Isn't it that Mexican oilrig that blew up simularly back in the 80's?
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                              There's no news in "people pick up, clean up, and get back to normal life"
                              Bingo.
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X