The Nashville, TN Flood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Nashville, TN Flood

Way back when, Hurricane Hugo came through South Carolina and messed up everything. We lived over 150 miles from the coast as the crow flies, and it was still packing 90 mph winds when it came through town. There had been a whole lot of rain before that and the ground was saturated and soft. So, the winds pushed over almost every tree. Trees fell on houses, across power lines.

Yeah, people were killed, more in the recovery effort than during the storm. Mostly people killed by downed powerlines. It's on the ground, but you don't know if it's live or not by looking at it. That, and amateurs trying to cut trees limbs with chainsaws. And heart attacks from over-exertion, etc.

The power was off at our house for over two weeks. We heard a rumor that there was some major national news coverage about it. But go figure- we couldn't watch because the power was off. By the time power was restored, there was more new news on TV. So we never got to "see" our own plight. We simply had to live it.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Guys, I'm sorry for the rant but that crap just gets to me. I first saw it after the Iowa floods a few years ago. I'd get these emails with a slideshow of the damage. "Why haven't the networks covered this like Katrina?" "Why is this being ignored?" I also got emails regarding a particularly horrific double murder in Knoxville a few years ago. "Why is the national media ignoring this?!" Would somebody please explain to me what good it would do? Iowa rebuilt. Nashville is rebuilding. Justice was served in Knoxville. It honestly sounds to me like people are wanting these tragedies to be exploited, not reported. I just don't get it.
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly
        Guys, I'm sorry for the rant but that crap just gets to me. I first saw it after the Iowa floods a few years ago. I'd get these emails with a slideshow of the damage. "Why haven't the networks covered this like Katrina?" "Why is this being ignored?" I also got emails regarding a particularly horrific double murder in Knoxville a few years ago. "Why is the national media ignoring this?!" Would somebody please explain to me what good it would do? Iowa rebuilt. Nashville is rebuilding. Justice was served in Knoxville. It honestly sounds to me like people are wanting these tragedies to be exploited, not reported. I just don't get it.
        Tedly, I don't think it matters in this whole world what the media does at all. In our case of hurricane Hugo, they covered it for a minute, but we couldn't see it and it made no difference (FEMA didn't exist back then).

The media is in our minds. They run to the bad stuff, sensational stuff, because that sells ads for their network.

Hell, I used to write for a local newspaper. It was a harmless column, but it was in print, circulation about 25,000. If I can write in the media, anybody can. For real. It takes no credentials. And the internet has made that prospect be even bigger.

Thinking that somebody just like you and me typed up the comments on that slide show about the Nashville Flood....that's what I was uncomfortable with. But I wanted to show the pictures of it.

No, I hate the media as much as anybody could ever. But the media is made up of mortal typers just as sure as I'm typing right now. That's what's scary. Somebody types it, and the talking heads at 6:00 read it from the script. Makes me wonder how many mortal typers actually affect the outcome of a whole lot of much bigger things...

Comment

Peewee, I thank you for drawing attention to Nashvilles problems. They got hit. Hard. When you get hit that hard, someone helping you to your feet is always appreciated. It's people like you who help get the word around. What gets me is the whiney 'why isn't everyone fascinated by this' tone that seems to be repeated so much lately. Aren't the events bad enough? Have we (people in general) become so jaded that we have to create a boogeyman to get people riled up? It's not enough that people died? That it will take years of hard work and an ungodly amount of money to recover from it? People won't react to that but tell them 'the media' is ignoring it and they will jump up and pitch in? Or is it just a way of focusing anger and frustration on something more tangible than a freak storm? I guess that's what really gets me mad. The assumption that people won't see someone in trouble and do what is right. Morality and basic human kindness is not enough, you have to outrage people before they will act. What really makes me sad is how often that assumption is proved correct.
          If I'm out of line here, just tell me. You guys have a way of cutting through the bullshit and telling it like it is. Am I making a big deal out of nothing? Maybe it's just that this hit real close to home, I don't know. My perspective is kinda screwed on this.
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

The big thing is that in a real BIG bad situation, the truth is told. You find out.

Disasters for the most part, bring out the best in everybody. Everybody does things they think they weren't capable of to pull through it. And everybody helps each other. That's the majority of what acually happens on the street level.

The press chases the other part. OK what we saw on TV from the press was the looting after Katrina. That's the images we were stuck with because we were not there in the middle of it, and that's what the press shot pictures of. How much of it actually happened? I dunno, I wasn't there, but that's what we saw.

Okay. So why was there no looting in Nashville? I don't want to address any social opinions here, I do NOT: If anybody even WANTED to loot in Nashville, they could not. In 8 feet of water, you cannot swim with a stolen TV.

There's just things like that, the verbiage in the slide show I didn't like, the natural disaster I've seen for myself, and the press puts their slant on it...the long and the short of it is, if it happens to you, you deal with. Otherwise it's somebody else's problem unless you care enough to be a member of a relief team that goes to the scene. You change the channel and go on. That's human nature. We could all help, but so few of us do. I don't. I watch. Guilty.

Comment

Let's all join up for the BangShift Relief Effort. It'll be a road trip to somewhere. I'm in. I need a cause. Anybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                Originally posted by Buickguy
                ironic thing is, it's not the worst oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.... anyone want to show their knowledge and say what and when it was?
                Isn't it that Mexican oilrig that blew up simularly back in the 80's?
                very close - 1979 - spewed something like 4x what's there now....
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                  ironic thing is, it's not the worst oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.... anyone want to show their knowledge and say what and when it was?
                  Isn't it that Mexican oilrig that blew up simularly back in the 80's?
                  very close - 1979 - spewed something like 4x what's there now....
                  How long did it take fishing to recover from that one?
                  I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                  X