The BangShift Relief Effort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The BangShift Relief Effort

One on the men I admire most on this earth coordinates a disaster relief team from his church. They do chainsaw work and mud removal, typically after hurricanes and tropical storms in the southeast. His team is a part of a bigger network. They don't just go, they wait to get called. When they're called they go.

I've seen here on BangShift what people can do when they pull together. There's so much talent here, so much ability, and so much human character.

What say we do something charitable, and I'd like to be a big part of this. In the BangShift name, but for the pure satisfaction of all of us. To know we did something good. I'm thinking disaster relief, like my old friend does. In some way, some form.

We BS'ers are scattered all over the map so we couldn't all be anywhere at the same time if we wanted to, but therein lies the advantage - disaster relief. We could deliver cases of bottled water...something, anything...use your imagination. Big or small. We have all kinds of mobile equipment amongst us, and all kinds of know-how-to-fix-things ability. That's a special talent. Not everybody has that.

Disaster relief. What could any or all of us do to help our fellow man in a disaster?

As long as we got together on it, we could be a force for the good. With some funding, we could be credible. I'm willing to spearhead it.

Unless nobody has the time to invest, which is understandable.

What say thees?

peewee
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: The BangShift Relief Effort

Come on guys, you can Redballl A V8 engine across the US, but you can't use the same capabilty to help your fellow human beings? What's up with that?

Comment

Everybody who knows me knows I'm always willing to help people
      if anything comes of this, I'd be willing to help if I have the time
      Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

I relieve myself on your effort.... (lol)
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I can only speak for myself, but at this moment my dance card is full... to take on another obligation is impossible.

That said, kudos to you for working with those who can.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Ummm...

That type thing is kinda akward to do from a hobby forum such as this, which sorta consists of folks scattered here-and-there who don't generally have actual personal contact with each other and connect mostly via some light communication during their relaxation time.

From the experience of the last wildfires around here I would say that the most effective volunteer effort that appeared to happen came from (in order) neighbor helping neighbor, local church or other groups locating the most needy and concentrating effort there, and corporations coming in such as Tide detergent who did the laundry for folks who lost their homes or local bottling plants providing free water and paying for portable toilets.

Church groups who associate based on religious or moral belief are really the place to go (this place is more like the local bar, which is not someplace I'd go looking for donations). Many here are already members of such organizations...maybe you ought to check out your buddy's deal.

Comment

Good advice. My buddy's deal, though church-oriented is not about the church. They don't go preach. They go cut trees off of people's houses and scrape up mud and stuff. They don't say a word unless asked. They just do it.

And yeah, a hobby forum is probably not the right place to recruit that kind of help for a lot of good reasons.

And too, what I'm wrestling with is the model. I have to fill in the blank. It can't be general. What "we" do is _?

I dunno, I get tired of myself sitting around complaining about a lot of things and never contributing to anything.

I'll keep thinking about it. If I think enough, I'll come up with something.

Comment

peewee..
                most, would help..
                but are states away from whatever effort, you'd be heading up..
                alot, DO give their time or moneys to help others, but in a more local way...
                walks/ vol. at childrens hospital/etc

tho. your idea is great... the people here, (most) don't have enough time off, to travel to a local to help..

Comment

Originally posted by peewee
                  Good advice. My buddy's deal, though church-oriented is not about the church. They don't go preach. They go cut trees off of people's houses and scrape up mud and stuff. They don't say a word unless asked. They just do it.

And yeah, a hobby forum is probably not the right place to recruit that kind of help for a lot of good reasons.

And too, what I'm wrestling with is the model. I have to fill in the blank. It can't be general. What "we" do is _?

I dunno, I get tired of myself sitting around complaining about a lot of things and never contributing to anything.

I'll keep thinking about it. If I think enough, I'll come up with something.
                  Peewee, if you need some relief, I will drink a beer with ya.

Ron
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Pee Wee, I'd love to help but unfortunately, it'll have to be something small. Presently I have a full time disaster relief project of my own going on. It's taking care of my BIL in PA. Unbelievable is all I can say. Tough driving 260 miles round trip for the day I saved his ass from going to jail and saved his dog from being shot by the sheriff yesterday.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

don't doubt the power of bs
                      I ,for one, will never forget

Comment

Are you thinking about Nashville or relief in general whenever the occasion arises?

Comment

In a sense, BangShift is a releif effort all of its own. All someone has to do is come on here with an expressed need. Knowledge, parts, something pulled and shipped from one location to the next, a car that (you bought, you found, or another member here is giving away) getting sent across country. These are all "need driven" things that we all see gets to the person that needs it.

In the sense you're talking about, word would have to be put out if a member, or family member of a member, is having a health issue, financial issue, national disaster, death in the family, or other bad things. Once that word is out, I'm certain members here would attack it with as much gusto as Red Balling a car or motor from one end of the country to the other. But our sheer size (or lack thereof) limits us to just doing things along those lines. Anything bigger would have to be looked at on a case by case basis. For the size of our car people community, I'd say that's pretty damn good!

Comment

Peewee, I'm not doing too good on the financial front right now, but I'd be willing to help however I can. It's tough to help others when I can barely get by myself. I've been thinking of dropping by Habitat for Humanity for awhile. Don't need money for that, just time and effort. I've been wanting to donate blood to Red Cross lately too. I missed the last blood drive. I think I'll hop on their site right now and see if I can set up an appointment for the next one. It's only a few days away, I think. One of the things I've missed since moving up here is feeling like I'm making a difference. Maybe it's time to change that. You're a good man Peewee.

Edit: Next blood drive from 12:00 to 6:00 on June 14th. I can't register online because, in spite of all the times I've donated blood and plasma, I don't remember my blood type. :-\ I'll just have to show up and crash the party. Hold me to it guys.
                            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by RealSteelFreak
                              Are you thinking about Nashville or relief in general whenever the occasion arises?
                              I was thinking about whenever the occasion arises. That was the thought. Without a plan, just the thought.

And after further thought, the model becomes the mystery. What do "we" specifically do?

I'll say again, I'm sitting around watching disasters on TV. And starting to feel real guilty about not helping anybody with anything.

But after a couple days, I realize that I'm in some way helping people with my website. Laughs are valuable too. Not that that's enough to help the world, but at least I'm doing a little something to clear he dark clouds. At least for folks who have the power still turned on.

And let me explain another level. This may or may not make sense. It's about the power of "people." People in numbers.

I was the emcee of a big training event. I didn't have a training role, but I stood up, was in charge of the room and the building, introduced the next expert, etc. It went on for 5 days. About 70 people were in a room that could just barely hold that many. The first evening when the show was over, I stood up and said good night to everybody, seeya in the mornnig.

In 45 seconds they were gone. I looked around the room. Damn. It took me an hour and a half to pick up the trash that night. Just gum wrappers and water bottles and stuff, the small pile everybody had left where they were sitting. But there were so many "spots."

The next evening, I stood up as everybody was ready to hit the door and I said, "Folks, if you don't mind, before you leave, please clean your own spot so it'll be ready for all of y'all in the morning."

Whoomph. In the same 45 seconds, the place was spotless, the garbage cans were full, and I was standing there looking at it. Unbelievable. I can go home NOW. This day is truly over.

The power of people who work together. I think that's what I was thinking. People together can do anything. In a BIG hurry, compared to anybody looking at something by themselves.

My case above is a silly example from real life, but that's the best way I can say what I was thinking.

My thought was a herd of people showing up to help. What HOW to help....I'm missing that part. I'm still thinking.

And as much as this is my idea, and I know that it'll never work anyhow, I don't believe I'm the right person to lead it.

I think Studemax should be the President of the BangShift Relief Effort. He's the best representative of all of our beliefs, and will be a great spokesperson. We can all be proud of his leadership in this regard.

Comment

Working...
                              X