Take your kid to the races ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take your kid to the races ...

I had the opportunity to spend the day with my 16 year old at the track yesterday ... just him and I. I highly recommend this to any and everyone reading this, that have kids! We had a chance to get to know each other again, and do a bit of male bonding. It was a great day, he was finally old enough to be able to access the restricted areas (mainly the starting line) at the track. His jobs were to make sure the master power switch was on/off at the appropriate times, and check tire pressure. He also was my official photographer for the day, going down on the starting line and taking pics. Everyone was more than happy to have him there hanging out with us, letting him sit in their cars, take pictures, and taking time to explain things to him.

We hung out with the usual suspects:

That's me on the left, Bob Troxler (84 y/o) in the middle, and Rick Mann (mannr on here).

Here is my boy Brian with Rick's car:

The day turned out GREAT, the weather was iffy, but we stuck it out and brought this home:

The day would have turned out great with or without it, but it gave me a wonderful sense of accomplishment since my son was there. The excitement he had with each round WE won was incredible!...I think he was more amp'd up than I was. I'm now sitting at #3 in points, out of 59 competitors...only 2 points from being in second place...

Now get out there and take your kids to the races!!!

Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Re: Take your kid to the races ...

every chance we get
    Dan Likes Dad's favorite place in the whole world - the staging lanes at old bridge township raceway park

Comment

Great job and congratulations . Its always been a thing with me to take my kids to the races, we have been to the drags,
      dirt and asphalt tracks, Maxton , and of course car shows and swap meets. I would rather my kids be doing that than being in trouble.

Comment

Congrats and it looks like a great time had by all.My son has HPTs schedule memorized. ;D

Comment

Jr. has been going to the races and show since he was old enough to walk. We love it.

Comment

I have pics of me on my dads shoulders at the track when i'm like 3, with those huge ear muff things on. Took my first carb apart at 8. Did my 1st brake job at 12. Dad took one side apart and said, here's all the parts. put it back together. It's just like the other side, only backwards.

Comment

Good for you guys. I'm hoping to drag some or all of mine to Maxton at some point - but they ARE busy having lives, raising kinds - stuff like that. I keep offering though and sooner or later one of 'em will make it.

Dan

Comment

A friend of mine here in houston has a 2 seater hobby stock that he gives rides to his sponsors at various races thru out the season, he was short handed a couple of races and I helped him out when he got into a bind, well he happened to have his car at the track since he was using his 2 car hauler that night and asked me if I wanted to ride along and told him I would give up the seat to my daughter if it was ok since she was also with me that night, well ... my daughter got to get up close and personal with the front stretch wall and she told me it was the best ride she has ever had in a car

here she is getting buckeled in

window net up and ready to go

and pulling out of the pits

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

The Fuel Altereds are running SIR this coming Saturday..thinking I might roll on out with the little guy...but a family pack is only 35 bucks...sooooooo....

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Absolute WIN all around guys.

Dan, the years me and dad raced together will always be my favorites. Looks like you have a new official good luck charm!
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                      Absolute WIN all around guys.

Dan, the years me and dad raced together will always be my favorites. Looks like you have a new official good luck charm!
                      That's what I'm thinking too! ... He has already committed to going and helping with the rest of the King Street series (6 more races), and thinks he may try to get a job at the speedway next summer....
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

It's great to get them involved at an early age. I was always a hotrodder/drag racer. I couldn't afford a Jr. dragster so we got in to this. He got more seat time than he ever would've gotten in the Jr. dragster and he loved it.

Comment

great job guys, it is so important to invest in your kids!
                          COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
                            The Fuel Altereds are running SIR this coming Saturday..thinking I might roll on out with the little guy...but a family pack is only 35 bucks...sooooooo....
                            I can SO hear the radio ad for this...

We've covered NASCAR cup and Nationwide, local 1/4, 410 and Outlaw sprints, dirt latemodels, and some SCCA stuff. The boy isn't so much into it, but my daughter is a 3'10" 50lb dynamo, and is already bugging me for racing school. Anyone have any uggestions for next summer in the mid-Atlantic area?
                            "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Working...
                            X