No announcement yet.

Braided hose brands, all created equal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braided hose brands, all created equal?

Ok, I know the AN system was created to standardize the way hoses and fittings were made so you could stockpile and manufacture standard items. However I'm having a really tough time with a -10 hose going over a nipple that is designed for 5/8in hose. Once I got it over it leaks, very slowly but it doesn't stop no matter how tight I get the clamp on it. Are some AN-10 hoses just slightly LARGER on the inside than others?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Braided hose brands, all created equal?

I wouldn,t think so, but it may be possible. In my own experience, if you are re-using a hose end that has been previously assembled to a rubber lined hose, there may be a small ring of rubber that remained in the "cutter" portion of the hose end which may prevent a perfect seal (similar to forgetting to remove an oil filter gasket and doubling up). I use cheapo off shore swap meet dental tools to pick these rubber pieces out of hose ends I' m reusing. Also, are you certain that the cutter is not pushing the hose back a bit as you tighten it? Are you marking the hose so that you can see if this is happening? vic
    vic NASCARland

Comment

This is a flanged nipple like a radiator neck and this was the first time the hose was used. I wonder if I tore it up or that the white lithium grease I was using to get it on is causing the leak.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

on stuff I cared about , it was aeroquip everything

Comment

Working...
        X