Don't know what you got

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know what you got

Well, since my dad started riding, he's been talking to guys about their bikes, one guy he asked "Inline 4, right?" Guy said he had no idea
    All they seem to know is size, make, model, nothing else, he get almost the same response from many different bikers now when he asks

Today, I was talking to a guy with a clean 57 Chev convertible today, asked him if it had a 283, he said "Yeah" then I mentioned my dad used to have one that had a 327 in, I expected him to say they weren't available in them then, but he said "Mine has the big motor", I said "Oh, fuel injected?" "I dunno, you can look if you'd like, the guy I bought it from just told me it had the big motor"

WTF??? Now I always thought if you are going to buy something, you research it and try to know everything about what you got, especially if you enjoy your car/bike, I guess I was wrong
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Re: Don't know what you got

They are different variations on it. Growing up my parents belonged to a car club, and one of the guys in it always loved C2 Vettes. Now he just about knew where the dipstick was to check the oil, but he also didn't play it off like he knew more. He knew a couple good mechanics to keep it running right, and did a pretty good job of washing & polishing it. I see no issue with that. It's the people that have no idea what they're talking about, but pretend they do that bother me.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty sure that early 1957 Chevys were equipped with the 265ci engine. Later cars came with the 283. That must have been what he meant.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

"big" has a couple of definitions.

alot of block surrounding the goods, is definately big... that would be a 283. I would like a non-siamesed all aluminum version...
        and I'll say I got something big too..at 283 ci. ;D

or, he is like my dad, seems to have alot of trust in oem. doesn't really care about facts either.
        I am exactly the opposite. It may even be my younger generation that finally got him to make the rig with two open mufflers...

he even had a 455 oldsmobile in the EGR generation (oh my god.. nuclear)
        its the baby boomers. spoiled, stupid, and "gimme for nothing"... that trust went all the way to a the plague of the honda civic today.

me and my dad REALLY had a fallout over this, over 20 years ago now. he changed, I haven't. Argument over. Not often dad goes along with a son...if all parents could wake and smell the egr ..
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

There are many posers around. They buy stuffs even if they know very little about it and brag about it. Those damn posers really irritate me and annoy me. There are even some who go around town driving like they're king of the roads or something but when you ask them about specs they look like their noses will bleed and would try to talk themselves out of it.

Comment

I usually can tell in the first minute or two if they really know about there cars.... if they throw out all sorts of Bull Shit I just smile and move on..... It's easier that arguing.....

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
            1966 Plymouth Fury III
            2014 Dodge Ram 1500
            Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
            Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

TOAD,
              some people just like owning and driving a car from when they were grow'n up. or had before kids /etc
              they don't car if it's a 283, 10to 1 3/4 cam/etc
              as long as it runs , and is clean.. they are happy, and you know what.. they are better than the guys that buy cars and park them in a warehouse or their 5 car garage , never to see the raod again..
              other than rolled off the trailor 100 yards from the show field and driven in..
              so, you might want to just enjoy the fact that , they are enjoying them for what they are, an old car..
              just because they own an old car ,doesn't make them a motorhead/gearhead or whatever you want to call guys that can tell you the gm part # of the nos parts they rebuilt it with , off thetop of their heads

Comment

Being a car nut, I don't understand it either. I'd rather have that than someone who doesn't have a clue but insists they know what they are talking about, or stash their toy away and never drive it. A guy I once worked with would tell me stories of his friends Viper that had 10 Flowmasters on it. That gave it a TON of extra power. If the dudes out enjoying his ride, don't bag on him too much. Think of it this way, I own a decent laptop, but I couldn't tell you what was in it or its capabilities if there weren't little stickers on it that told me. I just bought the best I could afford at the time. Tech geeks would be horrified at that, but as long as it does what I need it to, I could care less.
                I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                X