Kickass jam session!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickass jam session!

Dudes, I was in Seventh Heaven tonight! A local watering hole started a jam session every Thursday night, here in Topeka. I was fortunate enough to sit in with Nick Hern of the Nick Hern Band, Josh Vowell of Josh Vowell & The Rumble and... drumroll, please..... TAS CRU! It was freaking amazing playing guitar in the same stage as these guys.

Anyway... how was YOUR Thursday evening?

;D

Ron

PS:

Here is a video of Tas Cru. This guy is frealing amazing!
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Re: Kickass jam session!

Not nearly as good as yours! :D
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Sounds like a GREAT evening! TAS CRU is cheating, however - with that B3 backing you up, a troop of trained monkeys is going to sound good! I LOVE me some B3!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
        Sounds like a GREAT evening! TAS CRU is cheating, however - with that B3 backing you up, a troop of trained monkeys is going to sound good! I LOVE me some B3!

Dan
        There was no B3 last night. Yes, I too like the sounds of a good Hammond, but aside from Jay "Thunder Cat" Shelton on the harp, it was all guitar last night, including Tas' cigar box. That thing sounds sweet!

We had 5 different guitaritsts last night and only one drummer. We about wore poor Dave Spritzer out!

Ron
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

classic sound. nice.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I hate to admit, I'm not familiar with the performers y'all are talking about. Dang. Any good jam is a GOOD One. And from my lifelong experience with my ears, there's no electronic/modern subsititue for a Hammond B3 played through a Leslie cabinet. I've heard all kinds of modern modeling amps and what have ya, but you can't recreate that sound. At least I've not heard it yet. And I wonder how hard it is now to find an existing B3 OR a Leslie cabinet....especially a Leslie.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee
              I hate to admit, I'm not familiar with the performers y'all are talking about. Dang. Any good jam is a GOOD One. And from my lifelong experience with my ears, there's no electronic/modern subsititue for a Hammond B3 played through a Leslie cabinet. I've heard all kinds of modern modeling amps and what have ya, but you can't recreate that sound. At least I've not heard it yet. And I wonder how hard it is now to find an existing B3 OR a Leslie cabinet....especially a Leslie.
              Heh, heh.... Craigslist rocks! Josh scored a BEEEUUUUTIFUUUULLL Leslie cabinet that he plays his Strat through on occasion. It is an amazing sound with a guitar.

Peewee, you have a cigar box guitar, don't ya?

Ron

edit: Nick Hern is one of the 2009 IBC youth division qualifiers that did quite well at the International Blues Challenge in Memphis last year. Josh Vowell & The Rumble were also an IBC qualifier in 2009 and are hoping to win the whole enchilada this year. Tas Cru is from Clarksburg, MS and is one of the featured musicians at Morgan Freeman's Ground Zero Blues Club..

Comment

Don't got a cigar box guitar Ron, unless I don't know what that is.....and I'm getting older and dumber by the minute...

Comment

Don't got a cigar box guitar Ron, unless I don't know what that is.....and I'm getting older and dumber by the minute...
                  Man, a cigar box guitar is right up your alley, Peewee. These guitars were originally built using a basic cigar box, a single lipstick pickup (Think Telecaster) and a homebuilt neck and headstock with 3 or 4 strings. They had their roots in the Mississippi Delta and grew out of a need for an inexpensive, and often hand made, guitar. Typically, they are played with a slide and produce a mean sound. Recently, professionally built cigar box guitars have hit the market like these:

I like the sound of these things.

Ron

Comment

I've got a minature army of resonator guitars, and have never heard of or seen anything like that.

I can die now. Or get one. It'll be cheaper to die. Gosh, that is a great sound. I hate I heard that. I thought I'd heard it all by now

You've got the old National Tricone that sounds like a trash can lid with strings (according to Johnny Winter).

You've got the standard steel Dobro that rings like a bell.

You've got the wood Dobro with a glass slide that sounds like chocolate milk, if chocolate milk made a sound.

And then there's that. The cigar box. THAT is a different sound. I can die now. Or get one. Unit won't like this. I've got 8 guitars already.

Comment

I've got a minature army of resonator guitars, and have never heard of or seen anything like that.

I can die now. Or get one. It'll be cheaper to die. Gosh, that is a great sound. I hate I heard that. I thought I'd heard it all by now

You've got the old National Tricone that sounds like a trash can lid with strings (according to Johnny Winter).

You've got the standard steel Dobro that rings like a bell.

You've got the wood Dobro with a glass slide that sounds like chocolate milk, if chocolate milk made a sound.

And then there's that. The cigar box. THAT is a different sound. I can die now. Or get one. Unit won't like this. I've got 8 guitars already.
                      That's the beauty of a cigar box guitar, Peewee... you can build your own out of spare junk!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I think I have a new project now. I just happen to have an H. Upmann cigar box sitting on my table...

Now... where is that Telecaster pickup?

;D

Ron

Comment

Ron, I have no idea why he soaked that box in water to make it come apart, and then he was going to put it all back together agian....why did he do that?....where's part 2? I don't read directions, I write them. But these directions don't make much sense so far. More, more, more!

Comment

This one has gotten a whole lot of views. The cardboard bass. Here's a technical/mechanical genius who plays exactly as well as I do:

info at AngryBassClef.comMade In DetroitThousands sold worldwideThe 10th Anniversary Bogdon Box Bass will be introduced later 2017

Comment

Working...
                          X