Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guns

It came up in a thread that I highjacked a while back, so I'm curious. What does everyone like? What have you got? Reload? Hunt? Target shoot?

I fully understand that this can be a topic of debate. I'm not interested in debating gun control issues or weather or not somebody likes guns or not. I'm more interested in talking about the hobby and enjoyment of guns. But I'll take what I can get.
    Last edited by smallblockjay; February 14, 2013, 04:41 PM.

Re: Guns

What's up Jay?!

Originally posted by smallblockjay
    I fully understand that this can be a topic of debate. I'm not interested in debating gun control issues or weather or not somebody likes guns or not.
    It's not a topic of debate. There are two types of people armed citizens and slaves... no grey. ;D

I've got a .308 Browning a-bolt for deer, a 12 gauge Rem. 1100 for ducks, and the obligatory 10/22 for FUN. I'm looking at picking up a springfield 1911 for "property rights management" soon though.

That being said, I prefer to sit in trees and look at deer 60 yards away while holding my bow all season. Bowhunters are missing some circuits upstairs.
    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Cool, bud! 8)
      Last edited by smallblockjay; February 14, 2013, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I have a few:
        12 gauge shotgun (semi auto)
        20 gauge single-shot (was my dads)
        .22 bolt-action single shot (also was my dads)
        .38 S&W from 1939 (was my grandfather's service revolver in WWII. He was a Navy pilot, flew PBY's)
        .40 Beretta 96 with the brigadier slide and wraparound Hogue grips (was my carry gun when I lived in FL and had a CWP)
        .45 Taurus Millinium (was going to be my carry gun because of the light weight and high cap mag, until I realized it was a POS)
        .22 AR-7 explorer (Whole thing comes apart and gets put into the stock)
        .38 S&W airweigt snub-nose that I've never fired (If you've shot one of these, you understand why you don't exactly bring them to the range)
        M16-A4 (that I've shot more than all the others put together in the last year)

I have a strange feeling I'm forgetting one, but they're all (except the M16) in my buddy's safe in FL because I haven't moved them out here yet.

I used to shoot IDPA and skeet and did a little bit of bird hunting, dove and duck.

I like those Kimber 1911s and that, or some other make of 1911 might be my next purchase.

As far as those .454s: I was at an indoor range two stalls down from a guy firing one of those once. Every shot felt like someone hitting me in the chest (albeit not very hard, but still an impressive thump). The guy shooting it was a huge, bald biker type with tattoos everywhere. Reminded me of Bam Bam Bigalow. He decided to try to fire five shots in rapid succession and immediately afterwards dropped the gun and shook his hand indicating it was a bad idea.

Comment

Only gun I own is a Mikuru Charles Daly 20 ga. over and under skeet gun that I inherited from my Dad. He was a fanatic for gun care, and it's pretty much like new, although it does need a good cleaning - there's a bit of plastic left in the barrels. If I could get a fair price for it, I'd sell it in a minute - not really my thing. I'd like to put the $$ toward race car parts.

Dan

Comment

I've only got 2 right now. 444 Marlin and a 410 Mossberg.

When we hunt in Texas it's for deer or hogs. I use one of the guy's guns at the ranch, either a .270 Winchester-Stainless bull barrel- or a .25-06. both are pretty sweet.

Visit the web site for the ranch. http://www.74ranch.com/

I was looking at pistols the other day. Taurus had a .357 that weighed nothing. I'm saving my pennys. With rat shot it would good for rattle snakes.
            Cognizant Dissident

Comment

As far as those .454s: I was at an indoor range two stalls down from a guy firing one of those once. Every shot felt like someone hitting me in the chest (albeit not very hard, but still an impressive thump). The guy shooting it was a huge, bald biker type with tattoos everywhere. Reminded me of Bam Bam Bigalow. He decided to try to fire five shots in rapid succession and immediately afterwards dropped the gun and shook his hand indicating it was a bad idea.
              Yup, .454 Casull does have some punch to it. The nice thing is, I can shoot slightly cheaper .45 Colt. Average, .454 costs around $2 per round. The cheapest I've found are $38 for a box of 20 rounds. Most expensive I've seen is $43 per box of 20. Not something I spend much time shooting. I can buy .45 Colt for $25 per box of 50. Much better.

I haven't shot much skeet, but I do shoot trap and have a couple of trophies from trap shoots around here.

Comment

When we hunt in Texas it's for deer or hogs. I use one of the guy's guns at the ranch, either a .270 Winchester-Stainless bull barrel- or a .25-06. both are pretty sweet.
                I hunted hogs with my bow in Ft. Davis, TX a few years ago. Lots of fun, minus the 5000 mosquitoes that were biting me at any given time.

Comment

The springfield should be good enough for what I need. I was looking at a Colt but my gun fanatic friends are telling me the quality of their 1911s isn't up to snuff. No idea personally, but the springfield fits my budget a lot better.

If I had the money for a Kimber, I'd look at the springfield operator... I love that gun! I just need a no-frills pistol for home defense and I've always wanted a 1911.

Comment

Skeets are delicious, if you know how to clean 'em. For openers, you have to get all the black part off......

Dan

[quote=smallblockjay ]

I haven't shot much skeet, but I do shoot trap and have a couple of trophies from trap shoots around here.

Comment

Originally posted by milkovich
                      The springfield should be good enough for what I need. I was looking at a Colt but my gun fanatic friends are telling me the quality of their 1911s isn't up to snuff. No idea personally, but the springfield fits my budget a lot better.

If I had the money for a Kimber, I'd look at the springfield operator... I love that gun! I just need a no-frills pistol for home defense and I've always wanted a 1911.
                      I understand, bud.
                      Last edited by smallblockjay; February 14, 2013, 04:42 PM.

Comment

[quote=DanStokes ]
                        Skeets are delicious, if you know how to clean 'em. For openers, you have to get all the black part off......

Dan

Originally posted by smallblockjay

Yeah, the orange part is the best. They are a pain to clean without falling apart. ;D

Comment

Last edited by smallblockjay; February 14, 2013, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I can't... I keep handing them my credit cards but they just cut them up and tell me to leave! ;D

Comment

;D ;D ;D ;D

That's funny.

Sent you a PM, by the way. 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X