Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A cool LSR car. Pics and dyno vid inside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cool LSR car. Pics and dyno vid inside.

Last weekend I was in Fort Worth, TX to dyno tune a really nice Hemi Daytona (clone) that has broken a lot of records at Bonneville.

I think I understand this next part, but LSR guys please correct me if I am mistaken: the reason the owner switched to EFI is so he can use a pre-1981 (Classic) chassis to compete in the "Production" class - something about the rule book that says you can use a pre-1981, classic car in Production if you run a non-OEM EFI system.

Big thanks to DF for sending Lee (owner) my way for help. I've had a blast working with these guys, and the car he's building for next year is 1000% off the chain awesome (more on that later).

Our dyno shop canceled on us at the last minute, which sucks when you've travelled a thousand miles to tune the car - thankfully, an import tuning connection came through and opened up his shop bright and early Saturday for us.

The engine dyno'd at 930hp on Ray Barton's engine dyno. We weren't looking for power numbers, just the ability to load the engine at 7000+rpm to make sure the fuel and timing are where we need it to be.

The engine is a 498" Barton Hemi, burning C25 fuel, with a Carl Foltz EFI intake, twin big TBs, and a ratchet shifted Jerico 4-speed. 9" rear with 2.80 gears.

Below are some pics, and brief dyno pulls.

Dyno pulls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF7yic1NA-A

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Re: A cool LSR car. Pics and dyno vid inside.

Whoa! That's cool, interesting how the car pulls fourth gear against the load with a 2.80 rear end and spins the tires at the top of the pull. I suppose that motor is about the same as Jeff's no? 426" sheet metal intake with dual four barrel throttle bodies.

Looks like they are concerned with fire supression. Do they have a target speed for this year's Speeed Week?
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

That thing is wicked, cool.

I didn't like how it was trying to hop up and down on the rollers though.

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill
        Whoa! That's cool, interesting how the car pulls fourth gear against the load with a 2.80 rear end and spins the tires at the top of the pull. I suppose that motor is about the same as Jeff's no? 426" sheet metal intake with dual four barrel throttle bodies.

Looks like they are concerned with fire supression. Do they have a target speed for this year's Speeed Week?
        A /Pro is a 225.x mph record, I think that is what he's going for this year. The carb'd version of this engine has gone 233+...

On the dyno, we were in second gear. The "trailer tires" were a little too scary to take over 100mph. All I was concerned about was making sure that the AFRs were correct, and the datalogging systems were working properly. 8 EGTs, dual AFRs, etc. Wheel horsepower was in the high 600s.

It's kinda similar to Jeff's engine but 72" bigger. powerband *starts* at 5800 though, where Jeff's seems to start yanking a lot lower RPM than that.

Fire suppression is a big deal for Lee. He had a friend who got burnt after his 2 fire bottles emptied. He also carries a water system for use after the bottles are emptied.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Very cool post, thanks for sharing Scott.

Nice to see a Daytona style car being used for chasing speed, instead of chasing high bids at an auction.
          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by mustang13
            Very cool post, thanks for sharing Scott.

Nice to see a Daytona style car being used for chasing speed, instead of chasing high bids at an auction.

Took the words right outa my brain...

Comment

Just another Mopar, move along folks... :

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro

I don't agree.
                That thing is awesome.

Comment

Kinda the same thing I think when I see an LS series Chevy in ANYTHING ;D
                  Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by min301

I don't agree.
                    That thing is awesome.
                    Sarcasm Min, Sarcasm. ;)

Pssss... I think it's cool to.

Comment

The efi will take him out of classic and most likly production. I would do it for speed.
                      terry
                      ps that is bad ass

Comment

I remember drooling over this in HRM a few years ago. That is one wicked ride.
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Just another Bville car.... and Did I mention it was SLOW.... ( betcha I've told Lee that ... 100 times )....

Ain't this junk Cool'eooo

K

Comment

any chance seeing that car at the texas mile ?
                            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR
                              any chance seeing that car at the texas mile ?
                              Unfortunately, no. The car's weight makes it a real handful on a short shutdown. He's all about the salt!

We're working on in-car video for the runs at speedweek though.

Comment

Working...
                              X