Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top Ten Camaros

Dave,
    Thanks for the intro. I do like that drag racing stuff. Maybe I've sucked in too much nitro over the past 10 years.
    I'm not a big message board guy, but I'm certainly diggin' this one.

The Primedia/Source Interlink web sites recently got rehashed, so I don't know where the back issues section is anymore.
    Until the Camaro Performers web site goes live, I'd keep checking ebay. I've seen back issue of the mag there on a fairly regular basis.

Nick

Comment

Here's the link to Camaro Performers backissues (and every other Primedia/Source Interlink mag).

Comment

Aug 2007 right??? no listing for it eBay here i go \ library

Comment

Yep,
          August 2007. It's a little early to be available in the Primedia back issues site yet.
          Thanks for the link Dave.

Nick

Comment

I dug up my copy and here are the top 10 Camaros

10. 1983 DeAtley Trans Am
            9. The Showroom Stock “1LE” Camaro
            8. 1984 IROC Camaro
            7. Smokey Yunick’s 1968 Trans Am Camaro Z28
            6. Reher-Morrison Pro Stock Camaro
            5. Hot Rod Magazine Special 1980 Camaro
            4. 1974 IROC Camaro
            3. 1969 Big Red Camaro
            2. Bill “Grumpy” Jenkins 68 Pro Stock/Super Stock Camaro
            1. Mark Donohue’s 1968 Sunoco Z/28 Trans Am Road Racer.

Comment

Wow, Team Penske wins again! :D

Comment

This is what I wrote to Nick when I saw that article .... had no idea it was coming out... and was a bit stunned to honestly consider it real.... seriously... our car is truly average... fast... but average all the same...

Here's what is in this months Mag as a letter to the editor or Camaro Performers.

Hey Nick... I'm Keith Turk, David Freiburger is my partner in the Hot Rod Mag. Spl. Camaro... Basically our set up is that I own the car from the clutch back and Freiburger is in charge of the engine program.

Since we've teamed up the car has been wickedly successful... so much so that I'd say it's the most legitimate Magazine car ever to race on the salt.... it's not been a cushy fly and drive gig... David has earned his place here by consistently providing reliable motors with more Hp then is required...

In any case... the reason I'm writing you is to tell you how truly humbled I am to have our junk in Camaro Performers, The thought that anyone, anywhere would consider it to be one of the top ten race Camaro's ever.... wow... I totally agreed with the others... the Donahue/Penske car would have been my first choice too... Big Red... and Smokey's car.... and our junk? whew... that's sure sticking a pig in there with some class act's...

Seriously... Thank you... it ment the world to me...

Keith Turk

Comment

No mater is still a accomplishment. I like it.
                  HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

Hey Chuck,
                    Long time. Hope you're doing well.
                    Thanks for posting the top ten from the Camaro mag.
                    We're making some progress on the '71. Should be ready to roll sometime in February or March.

Keith,
                    that was too cool. I really appreciate it. When someone emails with positive feedback, it's what keeps you going as an editor. As Freiburger can attest, it certainly ain't the paycheck.

Nick L.

Comment

Glad to see the DeAtley Trans-Am Team made that list. Drivers David Hobbs & Willy T. Ribbs were a very "interesting" duo. Fischer Engineering who was the "Traco" of the day supplied engines for the team. I went to work for Fischer in '86 and learned what it's like to race on the road professionally taking care of about half a dozen teams. :o You know what they say about it looking like fun from the otherside of the fence.
                      There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Congrats ,Keith,David& Tonya.
                        Keith your car has inspired 4 or more to copy it.And it is a damn cool ride
                        terry

Comment

Hey Keith,
                          I printed your email, including a photo of the car, in the December issue of the letters section. Should be on newsstands now.

Nick

Comment

yeah saw that Nick....thanks...

K

Comment

Originally posted by Nickdoe6
                              Hey Chuck,
                              Long time. Hope you're doing well.
                              Thanks for posting the top ten from the Camaro mag.
                              We're making some progress on the '71. Should be ready to roll sometime in February or March.

Nick L.
                              Everthings going good. Man it's a small world on Car Forums. BTW thanks fo putting my Camaro in the Readers Rides.

Comment

my top ten
                                1] Reher Morrison Shepherd 1984 Camaro - NHRA AND IHRA world champion pro stocker in the same year
                                2] Smokey Yunick 1967 Trans Am Camaro - the prototype for :
                                3] Mark Donohue/ Roger Penske 1968 Z28 Sunoco Trans Am Camaro
                                4] Warren Johnson / Jerome Bradford 1980 IHRA Mountain Motor Camaro
                                5] Bobby Warren / Todd Bentley's Crunchy Chicken Super Stock Camaro
                                6] Big Red
                                7] Bill Jenkins / Larry Lombardo 79 Camaro Mountain Motor Match Race Grumpy's Toy
                                8] Jungle Jim Liberman's 72 Briggs Chevrolet Camaro Funny Car
                                9] Mike Moran - Casper 1994 Camaro Street Racer
                                10 ] Dan Fletcher - Perennial Super Stock World Champion 69 Camaro - Summit / Valvoline
                                6]

Comment

Working...
                                X