Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Videos… like em, hate em, never watch 'em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Videos… like em, hate em, never watch 'em?

We've talked about Automotive television… how about automotive DVD's.

Do you guys like them, buy them, or just watch 'em off the net?

Are you looking for information, entertainment, or just large breasted cuties who happen to be standing next to some sweet Detroit iron? Not that the latter aren't informational or entertaining!

What's the last car related DVD you purchased and why? Was it worth it?

How about HiDef video or even just plain old widescreen… would/does/will that make a difference to you?

Thanks for your time… I appreciate it!
    What videos would appeal to you and at what price point?

I'm doing some market research for my next venture and am interested in your opinions.

Re: Car Videos… like em, hate em, never watch 'em?

I have yet to purchase a car-based DVD. From what I've seen, usually it's about 5 years behind the times and they somehow manage to bore you with it.

I have, however, bought a bootleg DVD of illegal action from somewhere in the N.E. Not saying I condone, but the layout they have (party, burnout, showoff, racing, drifting with relative music to the scene) is awesome. I wish I had it out here with me, I'd send it to you.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
      I have yet to purchase a car-based DVD. From what I've seen, usually it's about 5 years behind the times and they somehow manage to bore you with it.

I have, however, bought a bootleg DVD of illegal action from somewhere in the N.E. Not saying I condone, but the layout they have (party, burnout, showoff, racing, drifting with relative music to the scene) is awesome. I wish I had it out here with me, I'd send it to you.
      So basically, a "behind the scenes, fly on the wall, you are there" on events that you might or might not be able/inclined to attend is an appealing format to you?

Comment

On average, I spend around 10-15 hours a day in front of a computer, so I usually get my entertainment there aswell.
        Screen-aspect ratio or quality is fairly irrelevant for me. Sound must be good though.

Only once in a while I will buy a DVD online, but mainly 'just to have it'.
        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar
          Screen-aspect ratio or quality is fairly irrelevant for me. Sound must be good though.

Only once in a while I will buy a DVD online, but mainly 'just to have it'.
          Sound is a huge thing for me. I try to produce everything in AT LEAST stereo.

The occasional DVD you buy online. Car related? The "just to have it" would that mean it's "how-to" type of info or basic entertainment?

Comment

Basic entertainment. Rare vintage footage of Bonneville for instance or plain ol' '50s/'60s dragracing is what I mainly favor.
            The most recent DVDs I bought was from Scot at www.dreamsoflegends.com
            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I have never purchased a DVD of any type. Once I've watched something, I've seen it - no sence spending any more time on it. So I'll rent what they have and skip the rest. Now, if I lived in some goofy place with nothing to do, like, say, Holland, that might be different. (Sorry BBM, I just had to poke you a little). No one will retire on my DVD purchases.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar

The most recent DVDs I bought was from Scot at www.dreamsoflegends.com
                VERY COOL in a retro way. Great music IMHO.

Thanks!

Comment

Dan, I won't argue with that. ;)
                  The Netherlands is pretty boring compared to the USA when I comes to autosports. And not only with autosports I might add ;D
                  www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I got some old Street Machine Nats videos I need to put on YouTube.

Comment

I watch a lot of streetracing, drifting, donuts, burnouts, and general mayhem on youtube and when I had tv, I'd watch powerblock... that's about it.

Haven't bought or rented any DVDs... unless you count all the classic cult car movies like bullit, McQ, vanishing point, etc.

One thing's for sure though, you need to get the noise JUST RIGHT!
                      Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

yea like AMERICAN GRIFFITE, TWO LANE BLACK TOP,GREASED LIGHTIN, STROKER ACE, i even got one the other day it was RAT RODS, and was pretty good.also SIX PACK which was filmed at the same track i race at today. They don't make car movies like they use too!!!

Comment

What about "how-to" info. Like say, tech specs and "I did it this way because…" on truly fast or famous cars?

Maybe tuning tips on carbs or timing or installing electronic ignition and why?

A big thing in the "MG" world (my other car life) are videos on keeping the damn SU's in sync or rebuilding them.

I'm especially interested in the people who have NEVER bought a DVD and what kind of product would make them change their mind, toss down a ten-spot and think they at least twice their money's worth.

Comment

I watched a few that someone else had, they were okay, and the babes were hot. By the time I have to see one it is usally Old news.

Comment

Ok, pretty much my entire DVD collection are movies made by Mel Brooks, but if I were looking at getting an automotive related DVD it would fall into two categories. The "How To" and "Testing". The "How To" one is obvious, find a subject and cover it, transmission and re-end rebuilds would cover what I'd really want to see in detail, but everyone would have some variation on what they would like to see. The "Testing" I think would be fun and interesting to watch. Like magazine format but with Great audio, dyno rooms, drag strips and road tracks. Failures are as interesting and some times funnier than successes. The TV show how to's just seem to impersonal to me, probably because they 'need' a script to ensure what they are showing fits into ~20minutes. Competitions are usually good if the people are personable. Flashy made up drama doesn't interest me a bit and I consider it filler. I'd like to see possibly two teams facing a similar challenge and go about it different ways. A weak example would be taking two full sized cars (odd-ball stuff helps keep my interest, you never know how it'll turn out) and see which team can get the car to go quicker down the drag strip, one trys swapping out the rear end for better gears but leaves the engine alone and the other leaves the rear alone and puts some bolt on's on the engine, maybe a cam swap. Lower the parts budget the better.

For pure entertainment purposes though it has to be strangely different. I don't need to see the run of the mill GM F and A bodies, Ford Mustangs,etc running down the track, even at insane speeds, simply because I've seen enough of them in person and will see more. I'm not going to plunk down ten bucks to see it at home too. Full sized cars, small cars with anything but a SBC or SBF, or just cars that no one expects anything from doing something, even for comedic value. The only time I haven't minded watching a car with a Chevy or Ford engine in it is from the inside the car view at full throttle either on the streets or more recently running the Silver State Challenge, and a lot of that is simply because the Audio is music to my ears.

What it all really comes down to is presentation, which I have no concept of so I look at rocks instead :P
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X