HR Power Tour thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HR Power Tour thoughts

Detroit was mentioned as the finish. I did not see the start named.
    Yes most of the LONG HAUL GANG were 50 + years old.
    My partner and I are 62 & 63.
    The cost for loggings, fuel,parts to fix the car was right about $1900.
    Thats at 12 MPG from a 401, 1973 Gremlin without AC.
    We did not include food because we mostly paid cash and didn't keep receipts.
    I was about $500 out of pocket.
    We paid an average of $72 per night Friday thru Sunday, as cheap as $42 and as high as $125.
    We did about 3500 miles. We started in Denver CO.
    Next time the car must have AC and get 15 MPG.
    It was a blast. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Nick

Comment

Originally posted by nickleone

The cost for loggings, fuel,parts to fix the car was right about $1900.
      Thats at 12 MPG from a 401, 1973 Gremlin without AC.

Nick
      Now THAT is a man!

Comment

old geezers driving too slow and overheating and stuff - yuk yuk

Comment

Originally posted by milkovich
          Guys in their 30's also don't have very much vacation.

"yeah honey, I'd like to spend one of my two weeks of vacation hanging out with dudes and cars" Most guys are lucky if they get to see a race on a weekend. A whole week is a tough sell.
          true.that was a very hard sell for my now soon to be ex wife!!!!
          "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Originally posted by streetshark
            My only negative this year is the prices in Iowa motels. In 2008 Ames was the most expensive of the tour for me. This year, same in Newton. $129. I hope the tour goes north next year thru the Carolinas or west to Texas, anywhere but the Midwest, even though it is close for me.
            We stayed in Iowa City. Priceline + name your own price = $50 for a Holiday Inn. We were two exits East of the exit the route took. So we had an hour head start in the morning. I never book a hotel any way other than Priceline Name your Own Price. I stayed in a Hilton in Minneapolis during the Car Craft Nats last year for $40 a night. You can't get a Motel 6 for that!
            1968 Torino - DOHC 4.6L/T56 swap project
            2011 CTS-V Wagon - TR-6060 equipped

Comment

Originally posted by nosnerd
              Originally posted by milkovich
              Guys in their 30's also don't have very much vacation.

"yeah honey, I'd like to spend one of my two weeks of vacation hanging out with dudes and cars" Most guys are lucky if they get to see a race on a weekend. A whole week is a tough sell.
              true.that was a very hard sell for my now soon to be ex wife!!!!
              My wife has been telling me I'm going next year since Jan, she feels bad that I missed it 2yrs in a row. She wanted to come the first time and that didn't work out well so we're already planning and saving for 2011 where it'll be back to my best friend and I.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                LS is getting so popular , because they RULE !!
                I want one !...
                Yeah and too damn bad the 351 cleveland still kicked the crap out of the LS in the Enginemasters Challenge.

Ah, had to jab a little.

I ran the entire tour without AC. I am from Nebraska. I am used to heat and humidity. But DAMN.
                Not going south again without AC.
                Andrew
                1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Just do it! This was tour # 4

on the way out, driving kamikaze, after 6 hours, I broke something in the Firebirds's T56 and had to drive 6 hours back home
                  next day drove 13 hours to DuQuion (stop #3) in the Goat (DD). Why, because you will not meet a better group of people and the opportunity to cruise with 2,000+ cars on two lane blacktops rarely happens. Then there are all the other previously mentioned reasons. Other than gas, the trip is as expensive as you make it (some folks lodge at campgrounds).

Just like life, sometimes things break, but you won't regret the experience !
                  a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                    Originally posted by RR
                    3) The average age of the spectator was probably early to mid 30's. The average age of the participant was probably early to mid 50's.
                    Takes some ca$h to make the trip (gas/hotels/time off)....and (for most guys) to have a car you'd want to take on the trip. Shouldn't be surprising. But still it's a neat observation, I never realized it.
                    i guess i am against the norm here. just turned 30. third power tour for us. however i do fit the norm when it comes to time off.
                    only had time to make three stops this year, maybe that will change in a year or so. but i look it in the fact that a day or three is better than no power tour at all. 04 went 2 years, 67 went this year.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1 ZR2
                      Thanks for the comments on David's Camaro. We finished it hours before we left for Iowa. The person that was supposed to drive it for me backed out the night before we left. We took it to Iowa in a trailer, then unloaded it. It had 1 mile on it when we started the tour, and except for changing 1 fuse, it ran perfect the whole tour.

The paint is from Planet Color, a division of Sherwin-Williams paint. It is called "Big Bad Orange". It is a lot like Hugger Orange, with pearl mixed in. In the sun you can see the pearl, in the shade it looks like Hugger Orange.

I heard a "local" was passing with a double yellow line and hit the Camaro head on. What a terrible loss for a family because of a idiot.
                      I never did see you guys at all -did you not stay at the Newton Inn ? Most people took one look at it and split - I opened another beer and ignored it but it was the pits. Maybe next year - and I volunteer to drive any of your cars next year - I'll even pay my way man. Take care -
                      Cheers -
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                      X