• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Famous Last Words

Originally posted by boxer3main
    Originally posted by peewee
    Originally posted by Bamfster
    Wonder how far up the list "hold my beer and watch this" is...
    I'll say again, there is no Southern phrase for ,"Hold my beer." It doesn't exist. Never been heard.
    never heard it either.

maybe its a canadian thing. :
    If it was a Canadian thing, it would be, "hold my beer, eh!"

Comment

and the other guy would reply.."take off hoser"...
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Actually, here in NC I have seen a Southerner holding the beer of another Southern. A few caveats, however:
        1) The holder MUST already have a beer of his/her own, opened and working.
        2) The held beer should be of a different brand from the preference of the holder. For example, a Bud fan could hold a Blatz (do they still make that?). If the holder accidentally takes a swig of the held beer it should result in instant spitting and an ugly face (sometimes hard to differentiate from the normal face).

The whole reason for holding a beer in this circumstance? So that when the stupid act is successfully completed the successful daredevil can reclaim his/her beer and take a victory swig. This is accompanied with a sort of "in your face" movement with the beer bottle (cans not allowed).

So yes, "Hold my beer and watch this" HAS been heard in the South, but only in specific circumstances. There's a etiquette to these things.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by peewee
          Originally posted by Bamfster
          Wonder how far up the list "hold my beer and watch this" is...
          I'll say again, there is no Southern phrase for ,"Hold my beer." It doesn't exist. Never been heard.
          It's more like watch this, I won't even spill my beer..LOL

Comment

In the south the only time you hold another man's beer is when you are handing one to him.
            Terry

Comment

Working...
            X