Summer vs. All Season Tires for your hot rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer vs. All Season Tires for your hot rod

So my plan call for this thing to pretty much be driven whenever I feel like it if there is no snow on the ground. From the way "Summer" tires are discribed I don't think I want to be using them. In addition, since it's more cruiser than brawler, I was thinking All Season stuff is more for me.

What do ya'll put on your "frequently driven" hot rods? The kinda stuff you enjoy 80%ish of the year.

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Summer vs. All Season Tires for your hot rod

I've always gotten All Season tires for all my cars.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

If'n you're gonna run it year round, all seasons make the most sense. Cant seesummers doing you much good in the snow/sleet.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

up here you don't drive your hot rod in the snow, unless you like salt baths..
        so summer tires are fine..
        all seasons are good If you get good ones, there are a lot of all season junk out there..
        g/y eagle gt+4 was all season.. but even in rain they sucked...

Comment

I don't want the GTA out in the Snow because of the salt that they pour all over the place ( should be a eviromental study done to see how all this salt ending up in our streams is impacting the snail darters or something ) So I just pick a performance tire that has a reasonable treadwear rating that as has a good wet -weather rating . I like BFG KDW's (have no idea what the K means but the D and W mean dry - wet.

Comment

Living in Phoenix where it doesn't snow and we don't get much rain, I like a summer type tire. I run Sumitomo's on my '99 Z28 they are a performance tire with a good tread wear and they have a good rain tread, Plus you can't go wrong with the price.

Saying this though if your going to be driving in freezing conditions I would go with an all season, as most of your Summer/Performance tires aren't going to like ice.

Comment

If you drive it give it an oil bath...dunno if they do that out your way.
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I'm PCSing to Colorado Springs in Aug and I plan on driving in in the cold but not the snow (unless I get caught out in it). They use sand not salt, or did last time I lived there, so I'm not so worried but still don't want it out in the snow.

I'm mainly concerned about driving when it's 30-40deg out and the summer tires being dangerous. I buy good tires. The A/S's would be nothing less than a High Performance and probably an Ultra High Performance A/S tire. Right now the Pirelli PZero Nero A/S is looking nice in 235/50Zr18 and either 255 or 275/45ZR18 depending on what will fit in the back.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

All seasons usually do it for me. Whatever I own is used year-round and we often have freak snow storms in Spring or in Autumn in Montreal. We also have a law requiring Snow tires for Winter - all season are no longer legal on passenger cars.

The only reason I'd go with a dedicated dry weather tire is if I serious track time in mind (i.e. auto-cross, lapping, etc.). Otherwise, I kind of see them as a waste - given "normal" road-bound driving conditions, would the slight reduction in braking distance or increased traction be of any significant advantage?

Of course I say all the this but I'm broke so my car presently has two semi-bald Winters out back and slightly better All-Seasons up front :D

Comment

If you will not see snow, summers... Unless you see sustained temps under 30 degrees Farenheight. You will be fine...

I really don't like all seasons anymore as they don't do much of anything well... Except for the Nokians, which are one of the few all seasons that are rated for snow (snow flake on sidewall). They also do well in the rain and are speed rated, depending on size up to Z and Y...

I used the old Pirelli P zero A/S in the snow.... Sucked... I'm sure the new version will perform in a similar fashion in the snow...

Comment

I know its usually the case but , the first all season tire I saw cotinuously changed as you went around the tire . I cracked up when I saw it .

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                        I've always gotten All Season tires for all my cars.
                        Did the BFG's do well this past winter? It's been a long time since I drove my Impala in snow.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                          I'm PCSing to Colorado Springs in Aug and I plan on driving in in the cold but not the snow (unless I get caught out in it). They use sand not salt, or did last time I lived there, so I'm not so worried but still don't want it out in the snow.

I'm mainly concerned about driving when it's 30-40deg out and the summer tires being dangerous. I buy good tires. The A/S's would be nothing less than a High Performance and probably an Ultra High Performance A/S tire. Right now the Pirelli PZero Nero A/S is looking nice in 235/50Zr18 and either 255 or 275/45ZR18 depending on what will fit in the back.
                          18" tires have a short stiff sidewall that doesn't give,, a/s is a joke the sidewall is to stiff.. tho. they might have nice wet tread..

Comment

I have summer only tires on my Firebird (Sumitomo HTR-Z) and I've driven it in freezing temps. After all the warnings I expected it to be scary but I didn't notice anything different at all. With 160 tread wear they're super sticky. I'd say go for it.

Comment

Working...
                            X