• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• favorite cars to work on ?

I love K1500 Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon
    owners are usually well heeled and the vehicles are just great
    and the same things always go bad on them , very cut and dry

Re: favorite cars to work on ?

all trucks are good. even the old ford "smack the solenoids"..strange electrical anomolies almost matching that of a ballast dodge.

Until working with performance. The cam is acheivable..but one mistake.... :o
    rod bearings...

nothing is easy.

I do remember some inline fours that could be ripped apart in car very easy. Good thing, they need that every 4-8 hours. :

the most successful opposite argument for easy accessible reversed...is the boxer engines. They got something to prove, and prove it.

An engine can make an ass of anybody.

Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Mine. I get to enjoy all my hard labor.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

My ram....been working on it so long I know damn near everything about it.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

78 to 87 cutlasses or other G bodies because Ive worked on
          almost every part of these cars
          COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

I enjoy working on any car that does not break down!

;D

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Favorite car to work on? Mine. No time clock. No boss yelling at you to get that heap fixed and get a new one in. No customer getting pissy. Just me and the problem at hand. I can sit there and stare at it for hours if I have to, just running through things in my mind trying to figure it out. If it's kicking my ass, I can step back and have a smoke or go grab something to eat. Then I can come back to it with a clear head. It's amazing how simple the solution can be once I do that. If I'm stuck, it can sit while I wait for a fresh set of eyes to take a look at it and help me get over that particular hurdle. I can take the time I need to do the job to my satisfaction and look for other problems either upstream or downstream of it. I can head off future issues while I'm there. I can keep plugging at it til I get the damn thing right. I'm a problem solver by nature and have a strong mechanical incline, but I lack education beyond high school and formal training of any kind outside of a couple of years working in shops. I'll get there eventually, it just takes me longer than some.

Second favorite? Someone who's stranded. There is a satisfaction from helping someone out that really needs it that I don't get from a paycheck. I like the idea that this person has no idea who I am and will probably never see me again, but their life is better for me being in it for that short time. Feels good man.

Favorite type of car? Fox Mustang 5.0, probably. They were designed to be easy to work on and easily modified by the owner. Think that has anything to do with their popularity?
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

I love working on the F150, good bit of room, and fairly easy

though when I replaced the radiator in my old boss's 65 Chevy Stepside, that was eeeaaaassssy, lots of room to work, and it was a 3 speed 6 cyl, making it even easier
                Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Old stuff has room for my hands and arms to move.
                  New stuff has room for my pinkie.
                  Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

anything before chips..
                    so easy to fix it's one of two things fuel or spark..
                    new cars are fun to fix too, but easy isn't a word I'd use..

Comment

RWD V8 GM's.

Comment

When I was wrenching for a living (WAY back before EPA) I was pretty good with rear drive Toyotas. It was easy to get to anything and pretty instinctive - you didn't need a bag of tricks. I did an exhaust valve on my '74 Celica in 3 hours, start to finish, including an oil change. The Camaro is simple, other than cam changes (that long engine makes 'em hard to slide out). I know the 'Stang like the back of my hand so it's not so much that it's easy - just that I know how it all fits together. Nailheads are like a happy trip in the Way-Back Machine. I also take a certain perverse pleasure in knocking apart a FWD front end and fixing what's wrong - half-shaft, struts, whatever. I've done enough of 'em that they seem easy now.

Dan

Comment

The Camaro.... because I know it front to back.... Exactly... sure it wee's in my Cheerio's now and again.... but it's just easy....

( Please exclude Low or tall deck Big block headers from the "easy" portion of this last statement"

Comment

I enjoy working on my own cars when I have time.......

Maybe that time thing will come visit me some day. :

Funny thing is my buddy with the VW shop has been asking me to come do side work for him, those cars are nightmares, so I keep telling him I'm busy, probably should have done the head job on the chevy truck though.......

Comment

Anything that I don't have to have expensive scanners, laptops or special tools just to remove a fuel line. I'm a simple man and like my vehicles to be also.

Comment

Working...
                              X