Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: favorite cars to work on ?

Originally posted by Schtauffer
    Real, scratch-built race cars. Unlike factory cars, everything is readily accessible and easy to change parts out. My buddy and I can pull the motor out of his sprint car in 30 minutes. That ain't happenin' in my Chevelle. Changing shocks is a 2-3 minute job.

I hate dealing with floor pans and fenders. :D
    this is why I drilled holes in the firewall and installed rubber plugs. tranny changes are a snap..
    the rug is already cut and velcro holds the squares in place..
    when I wire it, the engine harness will unplug at one spot so it's one plug and a few bolts and out

Comment

My 66 Mustang mostly because it's not a N.E. salted rust bucket. It just sucks working on NE cars. All the fasteners either break or are absolutely frozen in place. Even on cars only a few years old.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Racecars you built are fun, old stuff with lots of room is always simpler but I also find myself enjoying FWD shitbox driveline and suspension work for some reason.
        Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
          I love K1500 Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon
          owners are usually well heeled and the vehicles are just great
          and the same things always go bad on them , very cut and dry
          I'd just spent a bit too much time trying to do a brake job on my 2500 Suburban. Full floating rear axles make for much heavier brake drums, and it seems like those drums can take getting stuck to levels that aren't possible on a smaller axle.

Probably the most spectacular stupid-easy car to work on I've had has been a Triumph Spitfire. They made it really easy to work on - it's a body on frame car, the entire front end flips up, it even has a CARDBOARD transmission tunnel you can remove for easy access! Unfortunately, it seems they made it easy to work on for a reason...

Comment

my ole jeep 8)

and my pick-em-up truck. the '56.

But I haaaaated workin on my Dodge V-10 one-ton I had a few years ago. changin spark plugs SUCKED. I needed a trapeez act, a contortionist, a small trained monkey, and a bearded lady to hold my feet while I did a frickin' headstand under the hood to get to the back plugs.

Comment

One of the worst was changing head gaskets on our old '95 3.8 Windstar. Blew a head gasket, had the heads resurfaced and a valve job while I was at it. Didn't want to do it over again!
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

those 3.8 heads usually CRACK

Comment

Working...
                X