Rotating your Hot Rod's Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotating your Hot Rod's Tires

Does anyone rotate (either the full or just side to side) the tires on their Hot Rod? Particularly the Powertour types. With a different sized tire front and rear, I'm really tempted to avoid directional tires since they'd be stuck in 1 spot. Thoughts?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Rotating your Hot Rod's Tires

I just swapped my front tires side to side on the Impala because the RF gets ground on hard turning left on my narrow street, then again turning left into my driveway. I've had my alignment guy check the car out, but he says it's just a lousy suspension designed with a slide ruler. I tend to agree.

My back tires out last three pairs of fronts unless I'm being bad a lot.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

avoid run flats

Comment

I've had my alignment guy check the car out, but he says it's just a lousy suspension designed with a slide ruler.
        Slide rulers have nothing to do with your "lousy suspension".
        Crummy GM engineering and production does.
        NASA got astronauts into space and back using slide rulers back in the day (and they require no electricity).
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
          Does anyone rotate (either the full or just side to side) the tires on their Hot Rod? Particularly the Powertour types. With a different sized tire front and rear, I'm really tempted to avoid directional tires since they'd be stuck in 1 spot. Thoughts?
          well thats odd as steel belted tires shouldNOT be used side to side, the belt takes a "set" if you put it on the other side turning the other way the belt can move enough to make the tread squrm

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
            well thats odd as steel belted tires shouldNOT be used side to side, the belt takes a "set" if you put it on the other side turning the other way the belt can move enough to make the tread squrm
            That is an old wives tale. If all four tires are the same size and are of a non-directional design, there is a simple way to remember to rotate your tires. "Cross to Power." In other words, if you have a RWD car, the front tires would "cross" when rotated to the rear, and the rear tires would move straight forward.

With different-sized tires front and rear, you really don't gain much by rotating side to side.

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I never rotate my tires, really have no reason to do it. Most of my cars have different size tires front to rear and they are directional. I like the idea that each tire molds to the corner that it is on, basically adapting to my driving habits. You start swapping tires around and they have to reset to the alignment properties of the suspension, meaning that it may take a few 100 miles for the tread to wear(set) in after rotating.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
                I've had my alignment guy check the car out, but he says it's just a lousy suspension designed with a slide ruler.
                NASA got astronauts into space and back using slide rulers back in the day (and they require no electricity).
                Leave it to you to defend slide rulers
                Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward
                  That is an old wives tale. If all four tires are the same size and are of a non-directional design, there is a simple way to remember to rotate your tires. "Cross to Power." In other words, if you have a RWD car, the front tires would "cross" when rotated to the rear, and the rear tires would move straight forward.

With different-sized tires front and rear, you really don't gain much by rotating side to side.

Ron
                  wives tale, ok guess the goodyear enginerrs that told me this don't know that they're talking about, carry on

Comment

There ya have it: Goodyear engineers.

I got my info from Michelin engineers.

When Goodyear can make a radial tire as good as a Michelin, I will listen to them.

Ron
                    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

When Goodyear can make a radial tire as good as a Michelin, I will listen to them.

Ron
                      you do realize Michelin expects your to dismount the tires are they cross sides so they turn the same way

Comment

Ron
                        you do realize Michelin expects your to dismount the tires are they cross sides so they turn the same way
                        No, they don't. Justify your thought process any way you wish, but the procedure of rotating tires as the diagram shows is a proven method for maxmimizing the life of a radial tire.

Ron

Comment

I just buy used tires, they never seem to be around long enough to rotate, lol
                          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I just move them front to back. As they get cupped on the front, they go to the back to get burnt :P Maybe I'll try crossing them next time.

...., you really don't gain much by rotating side to side.

Ron
                            I call BULL, as my pegleg rear end frys the right rear, I can balance it out by swapping side to side ;D
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback
                              Originally posted by studemax
                              Leave it to you to defend slide rulers
                              I actually have one and would love to learn how to use it. Someone still needs to know how to do calculus manually if the computers all go out.

Anyway, I do plan on swapping them side to side at least which is somewhat limiting my choices (though they are down the road) of tires as most performance stuff seems to be directional.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                              X