Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rotating your Hot Rod's Tires

Leave it to you to defend slide rulers
    WTH do you know about it, Princess Mon Toadis?
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward
      Originally posted by IRONHEAD
      Originally posted by Ron Ward
      There ya have it: Goodyear engineers.

I got my info from Michelin engineers.

When Goodyear can make a radial tire as good as a Michelin, I will listen to them.

Ron
      you do realize Michelin expects your to dismount the tires are they cross sides so they turn the same way
      No, they don't. Justify your thought process any way you wish, but the procedure of rotating tires as the diagram shows is a proven method for maxmimizing the life of a radial tire.

Ron
      That can be debatable. With the tires that came on my '06 duramax I got 32,000 miles on the rear set of tires and almost 60,000 on the front set of tires. Granted I did have to buy 2 rear tires in the same amount of time it took for the fronts to wear out, but I got almost 60,000 miles out of the fronts. I'm figuring that if I was to rotate the tires I would have had to get all 4 done at around 45,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR

of tires as most performance stuff seems to be directional.
        there is a reason for that.. but it's a wifes tale

Comment

Early radials had separation problems and did need to be run in only one direction, but that problem has been fixed long ago. Modern radials can tolerate being run in different directions. As long as you don't let them get to be more than about 5 years old.....then all bets are off.

I'd guess the real reason that Scott's tires wear funny is because his alignment guy doesn't understand that you need to get out the slide rule and recalculate the alignment angles when you use wheels with a positive offset, as it moves the loading on the suspension out further. Oh yeah, and Scott needs to realize that when he drives his car like it's on the Winston Cup circuit, he's gonna have to buy 4 new sets of tires just to go 500 miles

Wife's prowler is fun...17" tires up front, 20" in the back, and they're directional. At least it's a light car.

Pretty much all of my hot rods have different sizes front and rear, I do occasionally swap the front tires side to side. Rears it doesn't matter, they just wear out in the center.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Most of my stuff dryrots WELL before it ever gets on the road. Maybe I'm doing something wrong....

;D

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
              Early radials had separation problems and did need to be run in only one direction, but that problem has been fixed long ago. Modern radials can tolerate being run in different directions. As long as you don't let them get to be more than about 5 years old.....then all bets are off.

and I'm sure everyone reads the d.o.t. date on the inner sidewall to know the real age of the tire..
              the tires I got for my Monty where over 2.5 years old when mounted.. and those came from goodyear warehouse..
              the new tires on the HHR were 1.9 years old... when mounted...
              with cars with high torque and hook, I wouldn't do it...
              I've seen enough of them come back in pieces....
              Dad now works at Sullivan tire.. and See's them come back within weeks blown apart or with a chicane in the tread

Comment

If it has a 3 digit date code, you probably want new tires
                My fabulous web page

Comment

...Scott needs to realize that when he drives his car like it's on the Winston Cup circuit...
                  Squirrel, you're "dating" yourself. :
                  Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Originally posted by jcharliem
                    ...Scott needs to realize that when he drives his car like it's on the Winston Cup circuit...
                    Squirrel, you're "dating" yourself. :
                    no he isn't most fans, still call it that.. corp. money be damned..
                    it's what made that racing, and it will always be called that no matter what nascar gets payed to slap whatever logo up there

Comment

Actually I was dating Scott's car to the appropriate time.....it was intentional, I assure you...
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

wives tale, ok guess the goodyear enginerrs that told me this don't know that they're talking about, carry on
                        I guess your Goodyear Engineer doesn't read the Goodyear FAQ on Tire Rotation? Or let me guess, they tell everyone the wrong thing EXCEPT you, you get the real correct info right? ???
                        Shop a wide selection of tires for Cars, Trucks, SUVs, and Minivans at Goodyear. See current offers and rebates for the best discount tire prices.

from Goodyear website, I'm sure it's wrong though ;)
                        Should I rotate my tires?

Regular and proper tire rotation promotes more uniform wear for all of the tires on a vehicle. All season tires should be rotated in a "modified X" pattern, meaning only the tires being moved to the drive axle are crossed to the opposite side of the vehicle.

The remaining two tires are moved from the drive axle to the free rolling axle, remaining on the same side of the vehicle. This method of rotation helps promote a more even and uniform treadwear pattern for all four tires.

The only exception to this would be the use of "directional" tread design tires such as our Aquatred II or some of our Eagle line high performance tires. These tires would remain on the same side of the vehicle and be rotated straight forward and straight back.

If you have a four-wheel drive vehicle, we recommend crossing both pairs of tires to their new axle positions.We recommend tire rotation at least every 6,000 miles. Four-wheel drive vehicles may require rotation even sooner such as every 4,000 miles. Check your vehicle owner's manual for the manufacturer's rotation recommendations. If no rotation period is specified, tires should be rotated every 6,000 to 8,000 miles. The first rotation is the most important. When tires are rotated, inflation pressures must be adjusted to the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations. Uneven tire wear may also be due to misalignment or mechanical problems. Many Goodyear retailers can provide expert diagnosis and repair.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR

of tires as most performance stuff seems to be directional.
                          there is a reason for that.. but it's a wifes tale
                          There are two primary reasons for a directional tread design on a performance tire. The first is to help direct water outfrom under the tire in wet conditions. If you run a tire such as an old Gatorback backwards, it will be less apt to pump the water out and increase the chance of hydroplaning. The second reason for a directional tread is to enhance the quality of "progressivity." This allows the tread to offer stability in cornerning, yet resist sudden wash out in turns. It allows the tire to progressively lose traction so you have more control during high speed maneuvers rather than gripping like glue and then suddenly losing traction.

When the 3rd gen F-bodies came out with the P245/50R16 Goodyears from the factory, it presented a rotation nightmare to the cars owners. First, because the tires were directional, it required dismounting the tires to cross sides of the car and second, because the front and rear wheels had different offests, you had to dismount ALL FOUR WHEELS at once to properly rotate them. Thankfully, GM engineered a shitty idler arm on these cars and the front tires were usually toasted on the outside edges after 10,000 miles. I sold a BUNCH of tires for those cars as well as idler arms and alignments.

Ron
                          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
                            Leave it to you to defend slide rulers
                            WTH do you know about it, Princess Mon Toadis?
                            My CHem/Physics teacher in HS was always making jokes about how she was the only person in the school who knew how to use them accurately, then my friend got extra credit on a test by doing the whole test with one

I'll stick with my TI-89
                            Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

dang kids and their "solve" button
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

dang kids and their "solve" button
                                *Off topic*
                                Can you use one squirrel? I'd love to learn even though I do have a TI-89. I do like being anachronistic.
                                Anyone here use the HP48's with it's reverse Polish notation?
                                *On topic*

I think I've narrowed my options down to 3 tires pending how one does in experience and testing.
                                Continental ExtremeContact DW Max Summer
                                Perilli PZero Nero All Season Ultra High Performance All Season
                                Firestone Wide Oval Indy 500 Max Summer (Pending)

Of course I've decided that my Z71 needs tires more than the hot rod now so the money is going towards Michellin LTX M/S's sometime soon.
                                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                                X