Studebaker coupes on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker coupes on ebay

It seems to me that a while back somebody here was looking for a Studebaker coupe. These two on ebay are '55's. If you did not want to spend the money on the unique '55 grill and front end, you could replace it with a fiberglass '53 front end. At the BIN price you could make money by reselling these things.

Re: Studebaker coupes on ebay

When I was building my Stude, I bought some parts from that fella. Pretty good guy...hard core restorer, not into hot rods AT ALL.

Those little Studes make great cars...they were pretty oddly engineered however, particularly the front suspension.

Here is my 53 before and after.

-Abone.

Comment

Originally posted by flamedabone
      When I was building my Stude, I bought some parts from that fella. Pretty good guy...hard core restorer, not into hot rods AT ALL.

Those little Studes make great cars...they were pretty oddly engineered however, particularly the front suspension.

-Abone.
      Wow! Nice job.

Comment

that is just too sweet .If I looked in the dictionary under hot rod stude thats what I would expect to see!Friend at work has a stock one 289 stude manual gear box bla bla bla . I like it too!

Comment

Originally posted by 3SuperSports

Wow! Nice job.
          Wow! Nice job. I mean ditto. It looks wicked.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Very VERY nice, great job! A good friend of mine recently finished a '53.
            I'll try to get some pics of it to show you.
            Don
            "Big cars need lovin too"

Comment

That is SUCH a beautiful car. Wish I had the $$ - what a cool project. He makes a big deal that these are parts cars, but I don't see what at least one of 'em couldn't be brought back, at least as a Rod - maybe not restored.

Flamedabone - More, please! What engine, and more importantly, what did you do for front suspension? That weird bellcrank that they used on the car stock was strange, indeed.

Dan

Comment

I've got a line on one in Savannah, GA. Been thinking really hard about it to.

Comment

Originally posted by flamedabone

-Abone.

What a great looking car! I'm with Dan -- give us some more info.
                  In looking at the two cars for sale, they might be able to be restored, but the price would be ungodly. The unique front grill assemblies and hoods on the '55 coupes are very difficult to find in anything close to good condition. Chrome plating is outrageous as there is so much of on that model year. With that said what is there to do but modify them and still put a Studebaker back on the street? As a Studebaker nut I do not mind that one bit. If $$$ and ability were not in the way I would grab these and do just that.

Comment

Very cool car

Comment

Well...ok... Not much to tell, I guess...

I cut off the front suspension and gave it to a resto-guy.

Used a 76 Camero front clip with Hotchkiss springs and tubular A arms. The rear was regular old leaf spring with a 9in Ford. Not much else...just a BIG GIANT PONTIAC motor.

The dude I sold it to installed a single funnycar style cage, a quick change and a diffrent carb and is planning on driving to Bonneville and cranking off some big MPH.

If I could find a decent shell, I would do another one of these...I took a likeing to thier goofyness. Thank you for the kind words, -Abone.

Comment

Beautiful! Raymond Lowey was genius. Did you know he also designed the Avanti, the Coke bottle, and about a million other things? He was NOT actually a car guy. The Study hubcaps alone were worth an honorable mention - SO pretty and classically simple.

Like how you did yours, and that it DOESN'T have a Chevy in it. My first choice would be a Caddy - back in the day, a Studallic was a fairly common swap. But the Poncho is way cool, too.

Dan

Comment

Back in the 80's I worked at a junk yard in VA. The former owner of the yard was big into Studes. His cars made a pretty big impact on me because I think they are great looking cars. You might call the styling "quirky" but I like to refer to it as tastefully different. There's something about a hot rod Stude that screams "try me"! Your car is beautiful....

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                            Like how you did yours, and that it DOESN'T have a Chevy in it. My first choice would be a Caddy - back in the day, a Studallic was a fairly common swap.

Dan
                            Bill Frick, of Bill Frick Motors in Long Island, New York originated the Studillac. Ian Fleming had James Bond driving one in "Diamonds are Forever." (The book, not the movie.) They were fast and much copied. There are actually a few of the original Bill Frick Studillacs around. I am with you Dan an early Cadillac powered '53-'54 coupe would be nice. Frick also build a Fordillac and later his own Caddy powered specials. He put Studebaker V-8's into a little Itallian sports car known as a Siata. I have often wondered if he did that as a way to get rid of the Stude V-8's that had given way to the Cadillac engines in the Studillacs.

Comment

A buddy of mine has a Sciata with a SBC. He always said that they were a Spanish car, but I can't prove that - time for a Google search. Evidently, anything was better than the Sciata engine (don't know exactly what it was). When my friend got his it had a Jeep 4 banger.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X