Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were building a BEATER '68 Charger for cheap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were building a BEATER '68 Charger for cheap...

Assume that you, like me, have the bare bones of a '68 Charger shell that you got for pennies and that looks like it's been Duke'd once or twice. Now assume that it is so gutted that you want to build an open-track race car out of it, but you want to do it for really cheap initially, adding to it later if you get hooked. Also assume you want it to be reliable, ie, not have the engine blow up after a few track days.

Do you...
    1) Install a rebuilt 383 Mopar that you have sitting around, requiring some expense to make it complete
    2) Install the very used 400 and 727 out of your old 24 Hours of Lemons race car
    3) Get a junkyard 5.7L Hemi
    4) Throw in an LS6 because you have it, even though Mopar guys will lynch you for it.

Re: If you were building a BEATER '68 Charger for cheap...

I would:
    5. Give a to a Bang Shifter who had one as his first car and has been lusting after one since stupidly letting it get away. ;D

Short of that, go with the LS6 and invest in earplugs. You'll need them. And a full time body guard. Your life insurance is paid up, right?
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

#4 for sure. If we hurry we can have it running in time for the Fall Fling. I'm sure you'd be loved even more when you're beating the snot out of chalk mark Hemi owners on the track too with your half breed. Bring Chad and the camera guys to film the ensuing rock tossing.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Dave whatever you do you have to paint it Union Blue, put a 10 on the doors, with a Union Flag and General Grant on the roof. ;D

And I say go with #2, seems the cheapest way to go.

Comment

hide the real stuff, junk or not...
          and go for a #3 with downdraft time. :D

someone must have cam and intake for this...

leave the oe tank in, no worries of 3 million pound injection with a old returnless system.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

#2 would be the route I'd go.

Plug and play

Even a wore out 440 should push the
            Charger down the road in good shape.
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I would first try to sell the body in an effort to save the car ( I have seen some really trashed cars saved by dedicated owners- they don't make 68 Chargers anymore). If you are successful at selling it, get a mid 80's G body to put the LS engine in.

Otherwise, if no one wants it, go with option 2.

Comment

2 gets my vote, this would be cheap and fast. Save the 383 for another Mopar. 8)

Comment

#2, get it up and running, then you could work on #1.

Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

A 1968 Charger for open track events? Kinda heavy, no? Don't you have a Duster or Valiant laying around?

Ron
                    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

4) Throw in an LS6 because you have it, even though Mopar guys will lynch you for it.
                      Jim T
                      Supercar Collectibles
                      www.Supercar1.com

Comment

Since you made it a point to capitalize CHEAP
                        - I'm going with #2
                        - it will also greatly reduce the PITA factor of fabricating a bunch of bits and wires required to make options 3 or 4 work.

and - most importantly - it will preserve your health and well being in the interests of your wife and son - I've heard those mopar guys can get down right violent when they are faced with blasphemy. ;)
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

#2 fo sho for simplicity's sake.
                          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Anything from 1-3

A Cheap 68 Charger though?

About 12 years ago, my dad was taking me home from school, and we were cruising around in his 77 or '79 F150, we drove by a used car lot, when my dad stopped and turned around quickly, a solid 68 Charger 383 for $3000, my mom wouldn't let him buy it.
                            now rusted out bodies sell for 13K
                            Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback
                              Anything from 1-3

A Cheap 68 Charger though?

About 12 years ago, my dad was taking me home from school, and we were cruising around in his 77 or '79 F150, we drove by a used car lot, when my dad stopped and turned around quickly, a solid 68 Charger 383 for $3000, my mom wouldn't let him buy it.
                              now rusted out bodies sell for 13K
                              Yeah, I was wondering, "How is he building any '68 Charger for cheap?" myself.

I'd go with option 2, keep everything about the car the same level of cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X