Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were building a BEATER '68 Charger for cheap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: If you were building a BEATER '68 Charger for cheap...

Originally posted by tedly
    Originally posted by Freiburger
    I think a few of you lost the plot...or at least MY plot. I have the car, it's beat to hell, I have spare parts, and I want fun. As in not being competitive, but looking cool, having a riot, an annoying the wieners who take themselves too serously. Essentially, I want to be the guy at an open track day who is the same guy I tend to criticize for making joy rids at Bonneville. (Hypocrisy is so great when applied to your own advantage.)

Besides, if I can pass a BMW in a four-door Chevelle, I can prolly do the same in a GUTTED '68 Charger. I'm thinking a Sawzall and some meats makes me somebody. At least somebody more memorable than a guy in a C4 with sticky tires on it.

But speaking of C4...stay tuned for memorable...
    Tease. ;D
    Then go do what you think is fun and drive the snot out of it. Don't be asking opinions of us, or anyone else. You got to have one car where you don't worry about what the readership thinks of it and what you did with it.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

If the LS motor is the one from the truck you and Chad put together for the LS drags this is the way I would go.One less vehicle ( get rid off the truck body ) it wouldn't bother me in the least to have a Chevy motor in the Dodge. ;D While some Big buck people will dump a big blk in a mid size and throw tons of cash in suspension and tires to make it handle.The only 2 real choisesto me is the LS or the new Hemi. 9 inch rear so you can swap ratios by having several hog heads. And a manual at least a 5 sp

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
        I think a few of you lost the plot...or at least MY plot. I have the car, it's beat to hell, I have spare parts, and I want fun. As in not being competitive, but looking cool, having a riot, an annoying the wieners who take themselves too serously. Essentially, I want to be the guy at an open track day who is the same guy I tend to criticize for making joy rids at Bonneville. (Hypocrisy is so great when applied to your own advantage.)

Besides, if I can pass a BMW in a four-door Chevelle, I can prolly do the same in a GUTTED '68 Charger. I'm thinking a Sawzall and some meats makes me somebody. At least somebody more memorable than a guy in a C4 with sticky tires on it.

But speaking of C4...stay tuned for memorable...
        Yep! Cut the wheel openings, big meats, 1.24 T-bars. I like the front fender flares like in the pictures I posted of the Bobby Allison #22 Charger 500. Seems teams did different wheel openings on those cars from one another. Each one has a unique style. Pick the one that suits you.

Some ideas. And I know you've seen this car at the track.

Comment

You gotta admit, that's pretty cool.

Ls and a T-56

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
            You gotta admit, that's pretty cool.
            Yupp..it is.. :P

Comment

Fun = WIN
              terry

Comment

Dave,
                Whatever you do, keep it Mopar. Do it old school, a cam that's too big, gears too stiff and a 4 speed. Use all junkyard or stuff you have sitting around, show how to clean up and reuse old speed parts. 8)
                I AM SICK TO DEATH OF LS STORIES. >

Comment

I like LS motors and I like Mopars and wouldn't mind combining the 2 but don't think this is the project to do it on.

How beat is the car and how much do you intend cutting it up? I'd imagine setting it up something like the Lemons Fury - just gutted, lowered and decent wheels/tyres/brakes. It'd surely be easiest and cheapest to put either the 383 or 400 in it.

If it's really beat - rusted out/tweaked frame rails etc then cut the hell out of it and put some better suspension under it - but cheaply, not just all aftermarket stuff. If you go that route maybe the LS would make sense.

Either way it needs a stick shift, although that could wait until after it's up and running.

Comment

Working...
                  X