Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 vs. V8 power

but not like you were thinking...
    For a fixed displacement, say LSR, which would you build and why?

I'll throw this out; if you were limited to factory stuff, which would you build a 4.3L 90º V6 or a 4.3L L99 V8?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: V6 vs. V8 power

I would say, 4.3 v6, because of product development on the 350 v8. The parts are identical and costs would be much less, more bang for the buck. Although I really don't know the 4.3 v8. Just my thoughts.
    Living the dream!

Comment

4.3V8...

Smaller bores are more efficent, and you have more of them ;P Plus you don't have the inherent imbalance of the 4.3L v6.

Comment

A V-8 of the same displacement will make more power than a V-6 in a racing application. We did this back in 1987. 274" evenfire V-6 Buick EFI 515 hp @ 8200, 274" oddfire V6 Chevy with single carb. 505 hp @ 8500, 274" V-8 Chevy EFI 525 hp @ 9500. These were endurance road race engines. We also built evenfire V-6 Chevys and added EFI but it wasn't worth the effort when the Buick was so easy to build.
        There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Another thing is endurance. The V-6 is really at its best at a 60° even fire without split journals. If you had a 4.0L of 60° bank it might fair better. The 90° V6 can work, but a 90° V8 will be better.

Comment

Yeah I loved that screamer V8 small inch motor ( this is the one we ran in the Peerless car, right? with the "slightly modified " tunnel ram?) That little loophole let us run 100 lbs. lighter and really ticked off ol' Jack Roush ;D And our prom programming whiz Dan did all right for himself, too. vic
            vic NASCARland

Comment

Originally posted by krusty
              Yeah I loved that screamer V8 small inch motor ( this is the one we ran in the Peerless car, right? with the "slightly modified " tunnel ram?) That little loophole let us run 100 lbs. lighter and really ticked off ol' Jack Roush ;D And our prom programming whiz Dan did all right for himself, too. vic
              That would be the one! Baldwin might not have been the fastest guy but he sure could get the most out of the stuff he had. And it was fun to catch Roush & White off base.......

And for those that don't know the Peerless car was the 1st sedan to run a carbon tub (really carbon reinforced chassis) right Vic?
              There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

"V"? What's all this talk about "V"? Real men do it in a row (at least, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it).

Dan

Comment

ok... 263cid I8, V8, I6, V6???
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I have always loved all V-8's.

BUT..

the late model Grand National Cup Series V-6 motors are pretty cool.
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                      ok... 263cid I8, V8, I6, V6???
                      The SCTA / ECTA / USFRA class break is 260 ci. You were asking about LSR right?

A V-8 will almost always be a better engine package.......

& don't fall for the V-6 has less parts so it would be cheaper to build, the performance parts are harder to get, they cost more & it requires more maintenance. Like the same pistons used in a V-8 Chevy for thousands of miles will crack in a V-6 Chevy in hundreds. We used to have the tips of the spirolox's break off in the Buick V-6's. Not saying I wouldn't run a V-6 or even a in-line 6 just pointing out SOME of the draw backs.

300 in 1999

Comment

I wouldn't do either. I'd throw a 350 in it and if I couldn't do that I'd find something else to work on. ;)

Comment

Well I picked 263 because is a Buick I8 size and within the range of both Buick and Chevy V6's and I6's. I'm no LSR racer but its one of the few racing classes where displacement is closely regulated.

There are a lot of people on here with very unique and significant experiences and I like hearing the whys more than the choices. I was thinking that the larger bore's in the 6's was going to allow for better breathing but that's just 1 piece of the puzzle.
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

The "why" for my 250 is that it was in the car when i bought it and it ran OK. Also found out that there were a bunch of E engine class records that no one had ever run at Maxton, so I could get a record if I could get the darn thing down the track - it did, and I did. Truth be told, I'd love to build a little bitty small block but it's WAY out of my budget, so I just have fun with what I have.

That said, it IS fun to mess with something no one else (or almost no one else) is messing with. I've always liked the weird-o's, so this is right down my alley.

Dan

Comment

It's a perfect fit, Dan.

Comment

Working...
                              X