Hoosier's GTA day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoosier's GTA day

Well after sitting for a year and a half , I got the car on the road today! I've had other irons in the fire and a beater 95 Safari van so for the most part it's just been on the back burner. It all of a sudden on the return trip from the store . It was hard to start and then was really low on power.So I changed the filter and checked the fuel pressure (42psi) finally last fall I figured It was a catastrophic failure of the EFI and was GOING TO DRIVE IT before winter. So I took the TPI off a first year GTA 350 car. Only a total of 11200 or so total that year, Not the rarest car in the world but the rarest on I will ever own.Anyway it killed me but I was desparate to drive it Put my 600 E-brck and a performer intake. Didn't run any better. So it sat thru anothet winter. Any way, found some time and thought must be the timming chain. It was. This all went fairly well till I went to put the starter back on. The wiers were connected the hole time so I know it was the right one. The thing would not go the last 1/4 inch in. After fighting this for an actual 12 hours I got it in. Anyway drove it to work today.Other than needing to fix the travel on the on the throotle cable, it runs like it used to. Oh well the carb is liberating.I've picked up some used vortec heads and plan on a Crane Big Mother Thumper cam some day .Life is great again.

Re: Hoosier's GTA day

glad to hear its back on th eroad, now put that TPI back on since it wasn't the problem
    Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

I dom't think I have the energy for it. We'll see how board I get this winter.

Comment

Cars that run as they should,can make smiles for the owner ;).

Comment

Glad to here you have the GTA back on the road again. While you have the TPI off, take the time to polish it out. They are good looking when shinny! :o

Living the dream!

Comment

Yes I do miss the looks of it. Sort of looks plainwith the carb there. But it does run. If I do EFI it I was thinking a Holley stealth ram intake.Or mill a distrib hole in LT1 intake, Seems that external cross-over coolant lines need to be made. Now what magazine was that in?Also looking forward to seeing if I get a little more pull above 4700 rpm.

Comment

good choice for 600.

I kept 600 on a monster (because of extremely tall gears).. it would still make injection the butt of the car.

with the timing chain, fix, did you get a chance to tighten it for the carb? BTDC needs a few tighter degrees. Injecyion likes to thump a realm of 3 million degrees back at the top.

:o

Funky odors this year, probably the gulf. If maine gets them... eww. it must be real nice hydro carbins for the slobs to choke on heading south. I wonder if EFI has a hydro carbon meter and another circuit, 4 more wires and an alarm to let you know. :

nope.

just give me the jets whistling at the speed of sound. ;D
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

NICE WORK!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that takes way too long to get a project wrapped up. ;D : 8)
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Timming. Well I'm one of those red necks that usually just puts it in drive and has someone give it about half throotle holding it with the breaks and give it a turn toward advance till it starts to rattle a little and back it of till it stops. When ever I have it checked after doing that it's always spot on. But since I put the 5 speed in it this isn't possible. So I temporarily set it by .....well I just guessed at it or just used gut instinks. Got on it hard yeasterday on the way home to get in from a bottle next and it rattled like crazy. Going to have to take a little more out. And have the Bro. in law put his timming light on it. I am going to miss going from regular gas for everday driving to weekend / drag stripping it and using premium with out having to do any thing exect jusmp on the gas a few times after upping the octane. Computer was pretty smart.

Comment

Working...
                  X