You hammer welded WHAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: You hammer welded WHAT?

You want to learn that from someone who knows what they're doing, not from me!

But basically you gas weld a butt joint, and every inch or two you put down the torch, and flatten the seam with a hammer and dolly. Neat thing about it is that you can work the metal later with the hammer and dolly to get it smooth with almost no filler, and the inside looks nice too. When I did the computer case, it was pretty badly warped after I welded it, but after a bit of working with the hammer/dolly, I it got almost flat.

If you have a TIG then use it instead
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Re: You hammer welded WHAT?

gotcha - i wonder how thin of sheetmetal gauge this technique would work on - Lord knows the older cars had thicker gauge than the muscle car era, and thinner yet in the 80's and newer.

Seems lots of guys are still using the oxy/acet set up to do magic with the proper tips and technique - I still would like to try one of those cobra cutting / welding gun gizmos - for a third the price of a plasma cutter - they seem capable of doing lots of neat stuff --- but maybe that's the technique of the guy giving the demo... :
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
      X