Thoughts on Imports.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Imports.....

What are your thoughts on imports? Whether it be German, Italian, British, Japanese, Korean, or Swedish......

Re: Thoughts on Imports.....

some are cool and you can get ideas from the craftsman ship on the profesianal ones

but the ones around town with half the bumber hangin on, are just pure crap
    The youngest guy on the board
    76 vega
    86 fiero

Comment

I guess they're alright, if you can't afford a Chevy....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Seeing as how quite a few of the "american" cars are
        either based on, or share quite a few parts with import
        cars, I see it as a wash.

I like Honda's, Toyota's, and a handful of other makes,
        but I also like some american cars, too.

Comment

transition in history is in all of them. My biggest disappintment is injection...especially in the defintions of exotic.
          Knowing it cannot use the whole engine, top of strokes...strong, realtime..blah. it all sucks. including airbags, lack of real steel (it is squishy today for electronics)

histories have alot to say.

generalizing german is simply fantastic. They get their weirdos once and awhile, but hey, they did do alot for autos.Bigger thoughts stayed in the czech for today(tatra 8x8), but did influence some german wit. (the real beetle for example). Mercedes has some inventions, not even american is going with...ie: USA and live axles. Why aren't they extinct yet?

the swedes in the snow and cold used to build some interesting stuff. the old saab, the real volvo...

japan is seemingly a hopeless midget in some self extinction kamikaze. sorry. 13 years of subarus, just to keep a 3 main bearing boxer. I learned that the orignal subes weren't even for public, it was for a government organization. No wonder they did something almost right. :

Italian attempts exotic. the alfa 33s put to pasture was a sign..alot of hoaxes were going to emerge..and it really did. The real v12 with downdraft are in the $millions...all when six carbs and a proper cam can do the same. but no..they went with the theif of the world. Italian makes me angry.

I'm just gonna build my own, and call it everything.

Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

it is kind of a vauge question, are you talking performance type cars or all imports.....the thing is....I like cars, foreign, domestic whatever...if it is built well and looks good I like it, if I dont like it I can find somethign I like about it...
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Performance Imports. Good attitude, 66Fury.

Comment

I like bananas

Comment

I look at it like art work, an extention of that persons creativity (or lack of)....

As far as new imports go the only one that really gets me excited is this...I find this car sexy as hell...if it sounds like it does in the commercials it will make me wet myself....

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Start wetting... ;D

Comment

supposed to be a 500hp V-10, and its carbon fiber....great googly moogly...way out of this old boys budget.

Comment

Another loaded question...
                        Sure they have their place, and I'd like a little WRX. For what it is.
                        But, I grew up with American cars and thats what I like, I don't see it changing anytime soon.
                        Originally posted by TC
                        also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

I like Cars..... not really a fan of new junk... and I've gotten to this really cool place in life that is interesting....

I don't have to own it anymore to truly enjoy it.... and frankly... I want YOU to own it so I can look at it and enjoy it.... they it can go home with you to be washed and serviced.... maintained and insured....

Just enjoy taking the time to work on my junk and I've started limiting the amount of junk in my life...

K

Comment

Maturity sucks, doesn't it? But still, it's more fun to live a contented life.

To chime in - I LOVE Italian and British cars. Built with lots of heart. Usually better to have a reliable American car for actual transportation. German cars are built with too much head and not nearly enough heart - no soul. Generally, Japanese cars are appliances - which is great if you NEED an appliance. Exceptions to all these rules, of course.

Dan

Comment

No real need for one, and Hondas have been the bane of my existence while working in a repair shop. My hands are quite large in girth so I simply dont fit in those tiny spaces. To me a Honda is like a Chrysler that was designed by a vengeful disgruntled engineer who had his woman stolen by an auto tech.

I did like working on a few Hyundai cars though, simple and lots of room on the crap boxes I saw. I have owned a 1980 BMW 520 and a 1984 VW GTi, both were ok cars, slow but relatively easy to work on. The GTI was loads more fun than the BMW, but I made money on the BMW by selling it to my supervisor while stationed in Frankfurt.

I dont need an appliance, I can get around just peachy keen with even my gas hog F150, and I can make my 455 powered Pontiacs get decent mileage, plus they are silly easy to work on, make lots of power, incredibly fun to drive, and I have literally tons of parts for them. So no need for imports.

If you think about it, you are probably driving on an import right now even if your car was built here. Is the gasoline you run pumped from the ground here or in some other country? I know a few of my cars run on domestic fuel. If you are down on imports but are ok with imported fuel, well then there is a disconnect somewhere..

Comment

Working...
                              X