Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Econo-Car From 48-Years Ago

1960 Ford Falcon============================================ =

" Mounted on a wheelbase of 109.5 inches, total length of 1960 Ford Falcon sedans was just 181.2 inches, while the wagons stretched out to 189. The compact Falcon was just 70.3 inches wide -- nearly a foot narrower than a standard-size Ford -- and stood 54.5 inches high.

Curb weight was kept as low as possible, topping out at 2,422 pounds, just 22 pounds over the package target.

At $1,974 to start, the Falcon four-door sedan was only slightly less popular than the two-door.

Falcon's body and chassis employed "Single-Unit" construction, and had been engineered to provide maximum strength with minimal weight. Surprisingly, the new compact car was solid and relatively quiet.

Although the frame was considered part of the body, its design was sturdy and rugged. Using two box-section outer rails held together with five complete cross members and two partial rails, a solid base for the body was established. The rocker panels and all of the main structural underbody members, such as the floor side members and front side-member extensions, were galvanized and zinc-coated prior to being assembled to inhibit rust. Underbody sheetmetal was developed so it would not be as likely to collect dirt and water.

Falcon's body panels were designed to fit with close tolerances, which helped keep out wind, weather, and noise.

A totally new engine was a part of the Falcon project. An overhead-valve inline six, it used a bore of 3.5 inches with a 2.5-inch stroke for a total displacement of 144 cubic inches. With a compression ratio of 8.7:1, this little six was rated for 90 horsepower at 4,200 rpm, and delivered peak torque of 138 pound-feet at 2,000 rpm.

Equipped with a single-barrel Holley carburetor, gas mileage was touted to be in the range of a little under 30 miles per gallon for city driving and a little over 30 for highway cruising. "
    -----------------------------------------------------Source: "Affordable Classics"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a nice example of what can still be found:

Question:

Would you leave it as-is...or leave the sleeper-look (w/upgrade to 14" wheels etc.)

and add a screaming hi-rpm SBF...or a silent 408 torquemeister...or...? -- ;)

Re: Econo-Car From 48-Years Ago

Altered Wheel Base Gasser is what I see.

Comment

I'd leave it exactly as-it! Garage it, take care of it and cruise it on nice sunny days ;D!
      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Aussie cross flow 6 cylinder, 5 speed and everything else stock.

Nik

Comment

Originally posted by Two Lane Blacktop
          1960 Ford Falcon============================================ =

" Mounted on a wheelbase of 109.5 inches, total length of 1960 Ford Falcon sedans was just 181.2 inches, while the wagons stretched out to 189. The compact Falcon was just 70.3 inches wide -- nearly a foot narrower than a standard-size Ford -- and stood 54.5 inches high.

Curb weight was kept as low as possible, topping out at 2,422 pounds, just 22 pounds over the package target.

At $1,974 to start, the Falcon four-door sedan was only slightly less popular than the two-door.

Falcon's body and chassis employed "Single-Unit" construction, and had been engineered to provide maximum strength with minimal weight. Surprisingly, the new compact car was solid and relatively quiet.

Although the frame was considered part of the body, its design was sturdy and rugged. Using two box-section outer rails held together with five complete cross members and two partial rails, a solid base for the body was established. The rocker panels and all of the main structural underbody members, such as the floor side members and front side-member extensions, were galvanized and zinc-coated prior to being assembled to inhibit rust. Underbody sheetmetal was developed so it would not be as likely to collect dirt and water.

Falcon's body panels were designed to fit with close tolerances, which helped keep out wind, weather, and noise.

A totally new engine was a part of the Falcon project. An overhead-valve inline six, it used a bore of 3.5 inches with a 2.5-inch stroke for a total displacement of 144 cubic inches. With a compression ratio of 8.7:1, this little six was rated for 90 horsepower at 4,200 rpm, and delivered peak torque of 138 pound-feet at 2,000 rpm.

Equipped with a single-barrel Holley carburetor, gas mileage was touted to be in the range of a little under 30 miles per gallon for city driving and a little over 30 for highway cruising. "
          -----------------------------------------------------Source: "Affordable Classics"
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a nice example of what can still be found:

Question:

Would you leave it as-is...or leave the sleeper-look (w/upgrade to 14" wheels etc.)

and add a screaming hi-rpm SBF...or a silent 408 torquemeister...or...? -- ;)

Studebaker preceded the Big Three in the compact line with their Lark model that came out in 1959 (Nash and some other independents were even earlier in the compact "revolution"). The Lark came with in two and four door post models, a two door hard top and a two door wagon. In 1960 a four door wagon and convertible model were added. You could get the 170cu.in. 90hp flat head six or a 259 cu.in V-8 that put out 180 hp and got over 23 mpg in the Mobil Gas Economy run that year.

The 1960 Studebaker Lark was a huge success and almost tripled overall sales for Studebaker. In V-8 form it sold for $2,756. The 259 V-8 engine could hurl the Lark sedan from 0 to 60 mph in 10 seconds. Learn more about this classic compact.

The 1960 Studebaker Lark was a huge success and almost tripled overall sales for Studebaker. In V-8 form it sold for $2,756. The 259 V-8 engine could hurl the Lark sedan from 0 to 60 mph in 10 seconds. Learn more about this classic compact.

These Larks, especially the 6 cylinder models are still very affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordplay0621
            Altered Wheel Base Gasser is what I see.
            Ditto

Comment

Altered Wheelbase with an FE under the hood !!!! ;D

Comment

It'd be a sin to modify a car that's been babied like that.

....that being said I see a gasser too (stock wheel base) w/ a hilborn injected small block. ;D

Comment

I see 5.0L HO roller motor with AFR heads, EFI upper and an compromise cam backed by a T5. Then again I also see Mercury Badges on mine.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Extremely Well Done!

We like 'em all! --

==============================================
                    The majority likes this look, eh?

--- 8)

Comment

Leave it as is(in 'That' condtion...). Hack up those that didin't fare as well ;D. ~OO6.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent-OO6.
                        Leave it as is(in 'That' condtion...). Hack up those that didin't fare as well ;D. ~OO6.
                        Definitely.
                        That car is way too good to ruin.

Comment

I dig it, and I'm not even a Ford guy.

Hell, that thing's too sano to butcher....I'd keep it clean and cruise the piss out of it.

With gas prices being what they are, that could easily become a good-weather daily driver.

I can't count myself amongst these ranks, but I wonder how many around here learned to drive on one of these?(my edumacation came behind the wheel of an '86 GMC 1-ton 4-speed)

Comment

My first car was almost identical to this one. The car on Ebay is only missing the exterior stainless trim around the side windows to be an exact match. I still have my 60, had it almost 20 years. I restored it, kept it pretty close to original, or at least nothing that couldn't be returned to stock. 3" drop, chrome steel wheels w/wide whites, Edelbrock 3 carb finned intake and finned valve cover. Unfortunately, no good pics of it right now.

As far as being good on fuel, mine used to get 30 mpg highway. Keep it stock, there are plenty of others out there to chop up.

Comment

UPDATE:

The lil' white '60 Falcon did not reach its reserve, and did not sell @ almost 5K.

The orange "60 Falcon also missed its reserve & no sale @ 20K. (He expected 30K+)

Both were *exceptionally* fine examples for us all to examine! -- 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X