I need one of those thoughts/prayers things again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I need one of those thoughts/prayers things again

Done. Know how you feel, my mom just turned 92 and still love a cold beer and dirty joke. Have you thought about hospice care? She will get extra care and made comfortable. She can also be taken off hospice when she improves. My wife is a visiting nurse and works with the elderly in the very same capacity as the needs of you, your family and mom. Please feel free to send we a PM if I can be of help or have questions.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Thanks all. Your kindness is truly appreciated.

Latest update (as requested by Min and others) -
      My brother is still with her and I leave tomorrow morning for my "shift". She saw the oncologist on Friday and, as expected, she is not a candidate for surgery. He also found another tumor that's the major cause for her discomfort. They're hoping they can shrink all of the tumors with chemo but more tests are needed before they can try it. They'll do a PET scan on Wednesday and a needle biopsy on Friday. This is expected to give the oncologist enough info to target the chemo appropriately.

We will look into Hospice as soon as the docs think they know enough to see where this is going. Tom - thanks for your kind offer and we may well take you up on this as we learn what her needs will be.

Again, thanks all for your friendship. Isn't it weird how we can connect on a computer screen? Hope I can continue meeting you all in real life!

Dan

Comment

Done, prayers sent.

Comment

Sorry to hear this, Dan. Positive thoughts and energy on their way.

Comment

You and your mom will be in our thoughts and prayers
            Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

Thoughts and prayers are given.
              HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

As you know I have been out of touch for about a week, so I just found this. I am sorry to hear about your mom. She, and the whole family, are in my prayers. Hang in there Dan, it is a tough time I know. Lots of improvement in the world of cancer treatment recently. The hospice thing is a great idea. Those folks are top notch.

Comment

Prayers/positive vibes/whatever it takes is on the way, Dan..........'smoke

Comment

Hey Dan,

Kerri, the boys, and me all send our best to you and your family.

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Dan, I hope for the best. I will say a prayer for you and your family

Comment

Dan... I know it's tough... but like we talked about this weekend... it's all part of life's cycle and in her 90's.... she has lived a good life.... Wish you and your family the best and the peace for the rest of her life....

Enjoy your time as best you can....

K

Comment

So far so good.

We got the tests done and it's ovarian cancer. Mom was expecting the "official" confirmation of the diagnosis and took it well. She was feeling pretty crappy and was in a lot of pain and the best part of the diagnosis process was that they gave her hydrocodone and the pain she had ben living with for weeks has largely dissipated. Oxycodone was not such a good thing as she started having nightmares and saw cockroaches doing military drill on the woodwork. Not good at all. A half dose of hydrocodone was just right.

Anyhow, we finally got to chemo on Tuesday morning. The staff treated her like the royalty she is and are spoiling her rotten. My Texas brother arrived in the middle of the treatment and I headed for home. Subsequent phone calls reveal that she's doing fine. They're giving her the same meds that they would give anyone with her type of cancer but it will be administered in smaller doses over a longer period of time assuming she continues to handle it OK. They will also perform some other procedures that should increase her comfort. Linda the Nurse is an Angel. Hospice has been discussed and the oncologist (probably his staff) will call them in when we and the doc think it's time. Right now the three of us are taking turns.

Her 90th. birthday is July 31st. and we still plan to do the party at the clubhouse at her trailer park (OOPS - "that's "Resident-Owned Adult Modular Home Community"). People are coming from all over the country to be there. It will be her "off" week (3 weeks of chemo, 1 week off) so we're hoping she'll be on top of her game.

Again, thanks all for your friendship and support. It counts, believe me.

Dan

Comment

Thanks for the report Dan.

Celebrating her 90th will be fantastic.

Best wishes.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                            X