Technofile or phobe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technofile or phobe?

I'm interested in hearing about who is up on all the new cool gadgets that seem to be coming out every other day and who isn't. Personally, I find lots of the stuff interesting and if I had the scratch, I'd be buying some of it. It ain't in the budget at chez Lohnes so I'm content to check out the stuff my friends buy like the new iPad for example.

My cell phone is a pretty basic model, again, not because I'm a "tech hater" but really because it works and there's other stuff to spend money on.

So what's the deal? Got all kinds of new electronic junk? Hate it all? Don't care?

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Technofile or phobe?

Well, I probably shouldn't be one to talk, I mean, people call me 8-Track

I'm just happy with stuff that works, my phone is almost 10 years old, and all but indestructable (dropped it 4 stories onto concrete back in VA, 2 buttons on the side I don't use popped off) ran it over with the F150 (on wet grass)
    If it works and is tough, I don't care how old or new it is, it is what I want
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

I was forced into the techie age by my oldest, he really good with computers, ipods, bipods, and everything else computer controlled. I have a Blackberry phone because he talked me into it, and I hate it. It's too complicated and all of the "apps" cost $$$.

I'd rather spend money on my hot rods, guns and tools. Now to go fire up the 8 track ...
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I am the type that will hang with what I have until it's completley obsolete or unrepairable. My home laptop is steam driven and works totally fine, basic no-frills cell phone with a pay-as-you-use-it plan, and my camera is old but adequate for my use. Though I must admit it's limitations are starting to bug me. I keep threating to upgrade and I also keep looking at the Flip HD video camera.

The latest piece of new tech I've got is the ipod. And I f'ing love it. Plays all my shit all day in work while I stare at the computer and I shake the garage with it when I hook it up to my old rack system.
        Time Wasters...
        http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
        http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Comment

Probably Low-Tech. I have never been interested in the technology (unless it's automotive) but I AM interested in function. That's why I have Macs - they WORK. No I-Pod, Tri-Pod or other Pod. That one I'll probably get when ME gets a new one and hers comes down the food chain to me. And no, I don't feel the need to let the world know that I've just had a #2 (or is that a #1?). On the other hand, I'm cool with EFI and turbos.

Dan

Comment

I like tech if it can prove itself. Back when, it took my buying three computers before having one that helped more than what trouble it caused.

I got a new phone a couple months ago with loads of features, an LG enV3. What a piece of crap. Constantly butt-dialing despite some little "locking" button which did I-don't-know-what, everytime I'd lean down to get something there'd be beeping or a recorded women's voice. Last weekend I was telling someone about it, and sneezed...there in the middle of my griping the damn thing started dialing by itself 'cause of that little shake, that was good for a laugh.

A couple days later I had cause enough to finally toss it (literally), it is just too f'n annoying to have that thing beeping and talking and dialing all the time. I'm back to an old phone now, which doesn't have a keyboard or e-mail etc. but at least works right.

Comment

Well I went hi tech this week....

Bought this

So I can burn these

To play on this

It'll store over a thousand songs........just enough
              to get me through the weekend

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Completely low tech here. Caveman.

Somebody (it had to be a wrong number) tried to send photos to my cell phone a couple weeks ago. It hosed the phone up so bad. The phone doesn't do photos and Verizon wanted me to go to a website to view them and I tried and you had to register and sign up for the service and all sorts of nonsense. I finally figured out how to delete the photos from the phone's inbox.

One of Pumpkin's friends on the Power Tour had an Ipad thing. Man, that thing is cool. But when I saw it I had to ask what it was. I had no idea.

My camera is 10 years old. No GPS, I print Mapquest pages if I don't know where I'm going.

The Gizmo Era has flowed right past me.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

technofile every time..... I enjoy the old stuff, but I like stuff that works everytime... now back to the knuckledragging diesel that refuses to run.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Through middle and highschool I was a technofile, but eventually technology surpassed most my dreams of what I'd hoped they'd do some day, so now I'm just coasting along. It used to be cool to see what the new gadget could do, now its close to "spend the money and it'll do whatever you want it to do". My cell phone is a basic phone, no keypad, internet or email. Heck the big tech upgrade I made was buying a sirus stilletto 2. The whole EFI/Megasquirt thing is a throw back dream to my highschool tech geek days that I'm finally living out.

I don't buy anything with an Apple label on it for the same reason's I don't go to church.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The newest stuff I've gotten has been a Droid phone and an Onkyo 9.2 surround sound receiver. I like electronics, but I'm not the one to go out and buy the newest gadget to come out. I usually wait until the hoopla has settled and get it at the cheaper price.

Comment

I love hi tech stuff, I just don't want to pay for it. So I wait a year or two, then folks give it to me for free.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I like low tech, stone hammers and wooden clubs for me please. Its not that I don't find it interesting I just feel that life was simpler, more enjoyable without all this crap...I mean, there was something very special about going to the record store and buying a NEw 45, or getting a hand written letter in the mail, or even getting a phone call from a special friend. now I get a text from that Friend 5 times a day, I get my mail box over its limit with emails form everyone and anyone, i can buy my music on line for a buck...not as fun IMHO

but I digress..

I have a 1yr old Sony Vio laptop that I know nothing about, i can turn it on and surf the net..that's it...I own a 2 year old Droid phone, its touch screen...that's as high tech as it gets for me...
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

example of waiting....I got the tubes for a few bucks a piece (they were made in 1970), and the clock circuit kit was almost complete, and free (it was made in 2003).

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                              I love hi tech stuff, I just don't want to pay for it. So I wait a year or two, then folks give it to me for free.

Hmmmm.........I'll have to remember that

Free is good
                              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
                              X