Home repairs... ( no good car stuff )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home repairs... ( no good car stuff )

Okay how many of you guys are into doing home repairs? Plumbing, electrical, Sheetrock, masonary, so on and so forth...

I ask this because one of the things I do for pocket change is rebuild houses... I'm not real good at flipping them but Tonya is REALLY good at renting them and we have a Management company that takes care of them... SO no calls in the middle of the night...

Anyway... Like the cobbler... my own home usually gets put on hold for the current project... ( I'm doing a 3br, 1 bath ) Miss Tonya being the loving and wonderful person she is NEVER asks for anything... ( other then my nuts... which she keeps proudly displayed in a jar on the counter )... ( nother story sorry... ) Upstairs the double sink in our bath has had an issue with one of the drains for like 3 or 4 months... and I finally got around to replacing the 1 1/4" drain trap for the one on the right... I'm sitting there looking over the left one and it's Perfectly FINE... but I'd bought two new drains.. and shoot why not replace it... but the question is WHY it's NOT broke... Tonya walks in and asks what my problem is... and I explain it... and she tells me to promptly get off my lazy ass and replace it... Hmmm okay...

Seriously as I touched it the thing Fell apart... Simply crumbled in my hands... Shoot... what's a fella to do... other then admit she was Right... and move the hell on...

Where was I going with this?.... oh well nevermind... it's what I did with my Saturday Morning...

Keith

Re: Home repairs... ( no good car stuff )

What's your least favorite thing to do?

Some people hate painting, but I don't mind that at all. I'd have to say tiling, or more specifically, grouting, if it's a big job. I did a house that had an open floor plan between the living room, dining room, and kitchen. It was over 400sf, and it nearly killed me.

I like kitchen remodels or building custom projects.
    I had a customer show me a picture of a six sided bench that went around a tree and ask me if I could build it. I sketched it out, didn't like it, drew her an 8 sided bench which we both liked better, then built it out of cedar.
    She took some pics of it after I installed it, but she keeps forgetting to email them to me. >

Comment

I don't like doing things over.... I've done the house I'm working on now 3 times... 1st time it was total make over... second it was a fire, and this time it's just 15yrs later... and I'm having trouble finding motivation to finish it... I'll get on it hot and heavy Monday... ( good committement there eh... LOL )

Keith

Comment

Funny this thread came up today... I'm trying to finish this project so I can get out in the garage and work on the car!!!

Comment

A Quonset Hut House & A Twenty Car Garage

This year is going to be somewhat "tight" for car-stuff
          due to various upcoming house & property projects.

Like, but not limited to, extending the roof up for another floor,
          adding a "bath-emporium" on 1st-floor, excavating for a full basement,
          a new water reservoir & capturing a second-spring, and a 10-ton
          bridge across the stream. Those are the new "musts", not including
          the maintenance items like soffits, extra insulation, etcetera, etc.

IF there's any time & money left in this year's construction budget,
          we're hoping to put up some San Quentin guard towers (w/searchlights,
          loudspeakers and machine guns) on the lower property line. ;)

Would like to get one of the factory remanufactured Korean/Chinese tractors
          with a loader & backhoe to start doing some of this "dirt-work" independently.

Yours truly would be happy in a Quonset hut sleeping on a cot surrounded by cars. 8)

But, ya gots 2 keeps de missus comfortable & happy, too. ---

Comment

San Quentin guard towers.....LMFAO!!!

Thanks Two Lane, I'm at work 1500 miles from home and the maintenance and honey dos are piling up!!!

You made my day, my stuff pales in comparason!!!!

Comment

I worked on my old house off and on for thirteen years. We bought it because it was cool, original late '50s stainless steel and vivid color tile stuff. Crap started falling apart almost immediately after we moved into it. I ended up gutting and redoing the kitchen, the three bathrooms, the basement, installed new windows, furnace and air conditioning, roof, insulated garage doors, three of the four doors to the outside, built a new deck, ripped out and replaced the old patio and put up a privacy fence on one side of the yard, after ripping out 70' of a 6' high row of hedges. Oh yeah, built a shed for all the yard junk and hired someone to refinish all the hardwood floors.

I ended up getting everything done just in time to sell it, all while being involved with the building of the new house. Dirt work, water and sewer, grading, material hauling, blahblahblah.

At least we got two solid offers for the old house the first week it was on the market and we ended up getting more for it than we expected. But the darned thing was probably better than new.

Now my wife doesn't understand why I don't wanna do anything on the new house except set up the garage the way I want it. And work on the car. And drink beer.

Comment

home repairs are easy , it's rebuilding automatic trannys that most can't handle
                I love the south , buy a house for 35 dollars and you are in business

around here , the crappiest shack is a half million , my buddy bought a nice 3 bedroom in youngstown ohio for ten grand , his mother uses it as a motel room when she visits her friends

Comment

I live in an Apartment, SO I build Car Models and go over thr Storage Area to work on the Car. Wish I had a Garage. ON the other hand, my Wife does excellent Sheet Rock and Painting She works for Food and Drink, I would have to clear that with her though. Like Tonya she keeps me Legal and out of Jail, and Does everything I dont like to do, (EVERYTHING) Could'nt Live without Her.

Comment

i only like to lay pipe ;D

Comment

As a fairly recent home owner my experience has been limited. Every project I tackle seems to take me out of my comfort zone but by the time I'm done with it my confidences is much higher. So home project plans are starting to grow. From the straight forward easy stuff like renting a backhoe and terracing and levelling my backyard to build a good sized garage to the more complex of extending my living room and kitchen and possibly adding another bedroom and bath. Garage building first though, "home" improvements a few years out ;)

I've done some faucet, outlet and switch replacements and painted a few rooms of the house decently enough, but did a really crappy job of enlarging my side gate to fit my Centurion through :-X
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Shoot that's easy Randal... Pull the Centurian up... Sight down the side... hack at anything in the way... and build a gate once the car is In..

Or the approved Maty Method is to simply drive the car through and put up what's left to cover the hole in some manner... then drink Beer...

Keith

Comment

I HATE HOME REPAIRS >! I was perfectly happy in our huge 2 bedroom apartment 1 mile from the ocean, but my wife wanted a house. I'll have to admit though, having a big back yard and a two car garage IS nice. In fact, I hate yard work even more than home repairs. We pay a guy $40 a month to pull the weeds and rake our dirt.
                          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Here is our basement the boys and I finished. We did it all, framing, plumbing, electrical, trim, floor, solid maple bar. Still doing the pre-made cabinets. I didn't feel like making them after the time it took in the study. There is a bedroom and bathroom in the basement also.

Comment

man bring your nappy butt down here and finish my basement.... that looks great...

Keith

Comment

Working...
                              X