No announcement yet.

Home repairs... ( no good car stuff )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home repairs... ( no good car stuff )

Originally posted by L98camino

San Quentin guard towers.....LMFAO!!!

Something like this:

That'd work!! ------------------------- ;)

Comment

I find home repairs to be a close second to wrenching on a car. I didn't always though, they grew on me. It wasn't until I helped my brother in law get his construction business up and running that I really got into it. I like doing any kind of work that really makes a difference in the finished product.

Comment

I enjoy it - especially wiring and plumbing. I actually worked as a plumber (maintenance and repair) at one point and found it interesting.

I've replanned (is that a word) the layout for the shop, so I'll want to do that up before next winter (It'll let me heat & AC a stall for year-round work. Drywallers are welcome! Not good at that.

Later
        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
          man bring your nappy butt down here and finish my basement.... that looks great...

Keith
          I'd be there for years! HA HA - At least thats what my wife says. We had the basement framed, plumbed, drywalled, and floor down in 2 months working evenings and weekends. Trim, Bar, cabinets, Paint took another year and half. Below is a shot of the deck from last fall. It is finished now since I had stone masons coming in for the patio. No excuses to drag it out.

Couple of things about the basement - I used laminate flooring. Commercial grade for lobbies. The basement was big enough to buy a pallet - 1.47 Sq Ft deliverd (2005) with an industrial wear rating. I did steel studs - No warping with the humidity changes.

Actually furniture used to be my hobby. I should find a picture of the Solid mahogany bed I made with hand tools. Cherry TV cabinet etc...

Couple more shots.

We used stock cabinets from Ikea to fit under the support beam - Kind of wasted space behind it with the 4' bump on that side of the house. There is a gap behind the cabinets of about 2 feet, so we attached the cabinets at the top to keep them from tipping. I have to mill some stock to trim once I get the VW out of the garage.

Very large stone patio to the right now with built in barbecue.

Comment

Damn Joel that is nice work

Comment

I am constantly fixing something so I feel your pain. I hate painting. It seems like I can never get motivated to actually start a project, but once I start I always finish what I started.
              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

My kitchen before and after. There was an apt sized gas range that didn't work where the dog's crate is; I switched to electric. I had to relocate the breaker panel that used to be in the kitchen wall (rewire the whole house) to the hall closet... I went from having a couple feet of counter space to over ten feet of counter space. I think I maximized a 10x10 kitchen. I eliminated that window that looks into the garage, and added recessed lighting and the recessed pot rack...and the wiring for the fridge, range, microwave, recessed lights... etc.

I still have that old blue cutting board. It's in my camping box.

Comment

I work until it is finished - Depends on definition of finished

The basement was done - Just didn't do the crown moulding or the half wall trim, or the nice colors (it was all white). The half wall trim I milled myself, the crown moulding and cabinets waited for more funds. The bar area used to be a weight machine for the teenagers. With them at school most of the time I felt a bar was in order. Furniture and wood working comes easy for me. As an example - I needed to fab in a stepper style idle air controller for my little 4 cyl. The OEM idle air motor was a rotary type that wasn't supported by the ECU. So I fabbed up the air box/mount for the idle air motor to fit into out of wood before I had one milled out of aluminum. It worked just fine, took me 30 minutes to make it out of wood - If it was metal I would be at it for days. Took it to a machine shop - they measured and milled one in a couple of hours.

Here is the pic of the ghetto test setup.

Comment

Turk, I've been to your house 4 times and didn't know you even had a basement, lol. I do know you have 12 separate staircases though. Totally weird

Comment

it's right in front of my chair... under the main stairs up to the top level... about 700sq ft... and dry as a bone which is wierd for a Basement in the south... None of these idiots have a clue how to build a basement... but this one is NICE... just not finished...

K

Comment

Great timing on this topic, Picked up my new crank from the balancer friday evening, and got the block back wednesday, of course you know what my plans were for this weekend......... wife shows me an add for discounted kitchen sinks saturday morning and wants me to replace ours, I don't know about you guys but when my wife wants something she wants it now! Hey, what the heck if I buy one and its the same size it should fit.. shouldn't it??? Maybe I can get this done in an hour or so and get back to the garage and my engine. Right!!!!! Picked up the sink around 10:00am, Murphy is alive and well in Des Moines, Iowa Finished up around 4:00pm So here I am sunday morning, tired, late night last night in the garage, but all is well I never really enjoy working on the house, I do it because I'm too cheap to pay someone!

Comment

Originally posted by blu65ramb
                          I never really enjoy working on the house, I do it because I'm too cheap to pay someone!

AMEN! I started with the furniture thing years ago when the wife wanted "real furniture". I could not afford what she wanted so I made it myself.

I had granite counters put in my kitchen a couple of years ago. The company wanted 400.00 to rip out the old counters, plumb in the sink and cooktop. Ripping out the counters took all of an hour with a screwdriver and pry bar. Cooktop dropped in, sink used most of the old plumbing pieces all in all 3-4 hours of work savings= new tires for the truck.

Comment

Working...
                          X