Wants and needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wants and needs

I want to drag my 70 GTO into the shop, give it a quick and cheap paintjob with single stage enamel, fix some of the rust and the dents, throw on the fresh set of high compression heads I have for it, put a Th400 back under it and drive it this summer. It is bugging me, and I know I could do a quickie that will last a year or so in about two weeks and it will look decent. It runs on ethanol so the heads are ok, no worries about pump gas with this one. I want to stop the rust and basically start the frame off but not do it yet, leave it running and fix some of the things I have to do anyway.

The problem is, I have the 65 GTO in the shop and it needs done too, but it needs LOTS more work and effort not to mention parts and supplies to finish it. I need to finish this one, I want to do the 70 one so I can drive it again this summer.

To thicken the plot, I have my 67 Cougar sitting there, all purdy, it just needs final assembly and a bit of suspension and brake work. I havent driven that one since 86, and it needs to have something done with it too. the biggest problem with the Cougar is it needs a set of wheels and tires before I can drive it. Sitting next to it is a 4x4 C1500 I just picked up for $100 that needs and engine, and it has minor rust for a UP truck, I want to throw a quick paint at it too so it doesnt look like a turd in my yard, and it will be my winter beater/firewood hauler. This one would take me all of a week to paint, and the hardest part would be what color to make it. I have a 400sbc to stuff in it, or I can yank the 454 from my 76, throw a cam and intake at it, and drop that in the 4x4.

Now I am used to working on multiple projects at once, its something you do when you own a shop so that isnt the problem. The problem for me is feeling like I should be doing something on the cars that are bare metal before I start sanding down another one even if I want to drive it. Its a case of priorities, time management, and funding. I still have my 98 Formula to drive, but it just doesnt have that raw visceral experience that driving the GTO or the Cougar has. I have been jonesin for some hotrod time in something hard core for a few years now. I could get my drag car legal really easy, it is all of 2 hours from drivable. It needs a fan, front hood pins, and the seat mounts rebuilt. A bit more pipe under it would be a good idea too, it is incredibly loud.

I know, I am spoiled, what muscle car do I want to drive, and what project do I want to work on because I have all the free time anyone could want. My job consists of keeping the house clean, mowing the yard, and taking care of the kids and dogs. Its so tough being me.

What would you do?

1: Keep driving the 98 and plugging away on the 65.
    2: Fix up the 70 and enjoy it one more summer.
    3: Get the Cougar running since it was my first car and I havent driven it in decades.
    4: Sell everything move to Tahiti.
    5: Get off the computer and get out in the shop every morning instead of posting annoying crap?
    6: Pull the trans from the Gran Prix pars car so we can fix the GP winter beater, then do all the mechanical repairs on the must have for winter cars.

Re: Wants and needs

The cars in question.

Comment

I'll give you $500 for the yellow one, $800 for the yellow one and red one ;D

What's wrong with just driving the GTO as is? I mean fix what needs to be done to make it road worthy and drive it all summer?
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I'll Double Randals Money on the Yellow one in the backround.... ( always wanted a back hoe )...( tell me it's as fun as it looks.... )

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
          I'll Double Randals Money on the Yellow one in the backround.... ( always wanted a back hoe )...( tell me it's as fun as it looks.... )
          LMAO! Me Too!
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Backhoes are WAY more fun than they look. Think like exponentaily more fun. :D

The buggers are addictive as well. Your wife may not appreciate it as much as you though, visual appeal of the yard is bound to suffer somewhat.....
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Target rust.
              take a day outside...

I am tortured by it, it is the LOSER.

how does warmer places go about it?

when it is a rush for me, I insist on grinding it somewhat decent, handbrush crystalline silica, no thinners, no water based...after fillers if need be. the soft stuff or for weld seams. The holes just stay there until the operation of removing...no hole and rust is a day for years to come.

give that a year. that stuff ends up needing a base coat for the base coat...(crazy hard combo, have not beaten it yet).. also reveals poison. that stuff drools, it be more than rust...it wins either way.. it aint going anywhere the factory let it. ;D

the one shot enamel mixes fed a catalystic steel melt down on everything I have touched with it. >
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I'll give you a set of wheels and tires for the cougar in trade for painting my ranger....

they are 17" bullet mustang take offs.... probably require spacers to get the back spacing right.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                  I'll give you a set of wheels and tires for the cougar in trade for painting my ranger....

they are 17" bullet mustang take offs.... probably require spacers to get the back spacing right.
                  Deal bring it all up here.

Its a GTO, I dont want to drive it looking like a refuge from a Krylon factory explosion. I have a few other things to fix, but I just want it to look decent, not great. Cheap and quick, Im tired of driving cars that look like hell. Although flat black on it looks sinister..

The backhoe isnt mine, but he would sell it for sure. A bit more than $1000 though... It digs holes really nice, and other than the tires going flat all the time its in great shape.

Comment

"wants and needs"...geez, that sounds like my EX talking down to me..... : :

seriously,IMHO,do the yellow car first...that way you get some kind of immediate gratification.

alan
                    "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

oh the GTO for sure the cougars nice too : ??? ;D im no help!!
                      COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

If it were me...

Put the 65 on the back burner, til you get all the parts and supplies to finish
                        Get the cougar done, it is so close, seems a waste of time not to finish it and get some seat time, that may quench your thirst to drive something different
                        My thoughts on the yellow one....I don't know you...but I suspect your the kind of guy who is gonna tear it down and start your el-cheepo fix and it won't be okay, you're gonna dive into it to do it right cuz that's what it deserves....
                        The truck, f-ck it, its a winter beater, shoot it with some flat black and call it done...
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

1. make the drag car drivable - 2hrs, get the needed rush, tomorrow!
                          2. Finish the cougar, it is close and looks like some good fun besides it is always good to drive and old friend
                          3. slap a quickie on the truck and get it ready for winter.
                          4. Wait on the 70 goat and do it right, maybe before you finish the 65?
                          Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

Originally posted by 91CCFirebird
                            1. make the drag car drivable - 2hrs, get the needed rush, tomorrow!
                            2. Finish the cougar, it is close and looks like some good fun besides it is always good to drive and old friend
                            3. slap a quickie on the truck and get it ready for winter.
                            4. Wait on the 70 goat and do it right, maybe before you finish the 65?
                            I think this guy has the right Idea! it sounds more logical than my post!!
                            COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Finishing the Cougar will take money, it needs parts I dont have laying around, which irritates me because I had all of them at one point. The interior needs completely redone, and it would cost more to finish it than to paint the GTO. I can get it running and movable, but making it fun to cruise will take lots more.

I like the idea of getting the drag car road ready. It is a long way from race ready, it really needs a new set of tires before it ever sees a strip or even a bunch of throttle on a deserted road. Maybe today I will build some seat mounts for it, and put a fan back on. It still needs a few other things, but nothing impossible. I could put insurance and plates on it easy enough. Getting the cops to let me drive it around is another thing entirely. Also with a 1050 and 4.10 gears I would need to fill up before I drove it the 20 miles to town, and fill up just to get back. The truck is down for a while, and the trailer still needs work, so this one would stay around here. It would cost too much to drive it to town and back, and I dont need the wear and tear on all of it either. So running and driving isnt a problem, going to have fun with it is.

Thats why I like the idea of getting the 70 going good and making it presentable. Just a quick enamel respray and some rust repair. Perhaps even bump a few dents out of it for the time being. It runs, and drives even though the 2004R has seen better days I have a TH400 on the stand waiting for a kit. I know it deserves what the 65 is getting, and it is next up on the list to go in the shop.

As for the 65, I already have a 71 Mustang on the back burner. It is a bare metal shell and I have to use my engine hoist to move it around because the front suspension is off. It needs massive amounts of work, in some ways it is worse than the 65 GTO. It has good window channels, but the rest of it is a welders nightmare. So the 65 will still get lots of work done on it, I want it in primer soon. I cant have two cars in bare metal on the back burner, I need to get them farther along in the event I have to move.

I want to drive one of my hotrods, its an itch I gotta scratch somehow. I just dont feel like myself if I dont have an old loud uncomfortable overpowered car to drive around. I got a bunch of stuff done yesterday, but not the blue one. Besides, its time to find a new female and the GTO seems to work quite well for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X