Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here use a GPS? What are your recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here use a GPS? What are your recommendations?

My 3 year anniversary to my fantastic wife, Lauren, is on Wednesday. She has been practically begging for a GPS for almost a year. I am looking for one that just does the basic street directions and points of interest. Nothing too fancy, but I do want a good quality one. What do you guys like? Garmin, TomTom? What are your thoughts?
    Bakersfield, CA.

Re: Anyone here use a GPS? What are your recommendations?

One that you can turnoff after you miss your destination and know you did.We got my parents one.TomTom I think.They went to visit my sister in another state and programmed it for their return trip home.They live in the same town as me but Im north of their house.They passed their house and it kept telling them they passed their destination. I met them in my driveway and asked them how their trip was. Mom said"It was great but after we passed our house the bitch on the dash wouldnt shut up" ;D

Comment

I've been a road warrior for about forty
      years and have worn out my share of road
      atlas.......but I got a Garmin a few years ago
      and really like it.

I still use a road atlas.......when I want to over ride
      the GPS suggestion.
      Mine has Bluetooth and I really like that feature.......it's a must
      for us on vacation.
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Have been a GPS and Ham Radio nerd since the days of Loran...

My wife likes the Garmin Nuvi 201w. They around $100 now! Very simple interface. Garmin's navigation "engine" beats Tom Tom by a lot (far fewer routing mistakes) but the downer for this particular garmin is that you have to pay $50 for updated maps about every 2-3 years. you don't HAVE to get updates, however. The wife likes the simple interface. Tom Tom makes some similarly priced units, their Nav engine isn't as great but their Points of Interest database is known to be good and accurate.

Google's navigation on the Android phones (Droid, etc.) is prettier, more up to date, but the nav software sucks bad enough that the wife wouldn't give up her garmin for it.

-Scott
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

remember , when you drive , make sure it is on ALL THE TIME !! fog lights too
          nerds with devices

Comment

I've found TomToms too difficult to navigate. I have a Garmin nuvi 650 that even my technology-challenged dad can use. I've used it all over the country and it's only misguided me twice (due to a certain street changing names).
            Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

I have an HTC incredible "smart" phone - and it with google maps works well. I like how I can send the directions to my phone from my computer... kind of a neat feature. Of course, a smart phone costs extra per month so it's a wash on savings (vs. purchase of a stand-alone gps). also, I have a garmin on my bicycle on which I never use its map feature because it's too small and doesn't have voice directions....
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                nerds with devices
                HAHa!That sounds like something I might say about these kind of conveniences. I have been holding out because of money and I want my wife to be able to navigate her way around without being told what to do. She loves her gadgets.

Thanks for the recommendations. Looks like the Garmins have it so far.
                Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

My vote is for the Garmin units. I borrow Mom and Dad's occasionally when I am going somewhere unfamiliar. For the most part I navigate using road signs and maps, but when you need to find a hotel, gas station, auto parts store, or florist in the middle of the desert, there is no replacement for the "find" feature.

Comment

don't have any comparisons... but I bought a Garman and it rocks.. pure and simple the best 100 bucks I've ever spent...

Somewhere in here I have to say that Common sense goes a long way in using one as a tool... you can't simply follow it into oblivion when Downtown Tallahassee is obviously wrong for a Interstate route to Southern Florida.... ( set it to quickest over shortest distance and you to can miss America on the trip )

K

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                      don't have any comparisons... but I bought a Garman and it rocks.. pure and simple the best 100 bucks I've ever spent...

Somewhere in here I have to say that Common sense goes a long way in using one as a tool... you can't simply follow it into oblivion when Downtown Tallahassee is obviously wrong for a Interstate route to Southern Florida.... ( set it to quickest over shortest distance and you to can miss America on the trip )

K
                      Ditto on the common sense.....reason I take an
                      atlas.

Have over ridden directions many times.......don't follow it
                      blindly......in my case I'd miss Route 66 most times.

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

My Magellan I use for work is by and far much better than my Wife's Garmin.
                        sigpicJohn Castelli
                        www.gonecruisincarclub.com

Comment

Wife has an older Garmin, it isn't too bad...but it does need to get updated every now and then if you live or travel in an area that has new roads being built (ie. the southwest).

I still like a map...I always take an atlas or maps when I go on trips, I want to know where I'm going.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by cantvalve16
                            Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                            nerds with devices
                            HAHa!That sounds like something I might say about these kind of conveniences. I have been holding out because of money and I want my wife to be able to navigate her way around without being told what to do. She loves her gadgets.

Thanks for the recommendations. Looks like the Garmins have it so far.
                            Spidey gets lost going to the grocery store.

I'm a knuckle draggin cretin when it comes to navigating my way around as a driver. Thomas Guide. If it's on a map, I can find it. A lot of my co-workers use different GPS units. They either use Garmin's or the one that's in their iphones. I hear the iphone gps is really good. They can take an address from an email and just click on it and the gps will find it. Pretty cool and simple. The service is $10 a month, but they think it's worth it.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

You know you have a bad GPS unit
                              when you punch in data and it says

You can't there from here
                              Thom

Comment

Working...
                              X