Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here use a GPS? What are your recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone here use a GPS? What are your recommendations?

I got a Garmin 756 for the wife. It cost like $150 more than the base model, but it gave her the following added features:
    1) Spoken street names "turn right on Maple Street in 500 feet" instead of "turn right in 500 feet".
    2) Bluetooth speakerphone with onscreen dialing
    3) Route planning: type in a bunch of addresses and it calculates the shortest route between then.
    4) One free map update in the first year. Important because the included maps in GPS are usually obsolete by the day of retail sale.

Comment

I have the Delorme BlueLogger. I've used it with my Zire 72. It can automatically log data and report your positions back to your computer at a later time. I use it on long trips, and port the sound from my Palm to my speakers. It's so cool to be flying down the highway, listening to mp3's from Pocket Tunes, and have a pretty female voice pop in at appropriate times and direct me to "Turn right 500 yards ahead"

Comment

Get a compass. I use a boat compass in the car. Works wonders. Cheap and effective.

Comment

I love how many people here say they "got it for their wife", real men don't need directions, right?? ;) ;D

I have a Magellan that does a great job, but like with all brands you can buy the cheap one or the high dollar one, I got one in the middle, might not have all the trinkets of the top of the line one, but it does do the job.

No matter which one you buy, I suggest you get one with a large screen. It makes it a lot easier to see when driving down the road.

Comment

Google maps on a smart phone.

Why?

Free, easy to use and is in real time, all the time.

Comment

We got a Garmin a couple of years ago. I think it is a 360W. The "W" is for the wide screen. I would really consider getting the W version as it is much easier to see. We got ours on Amazon. It was a reconditioned one, but came with all the good stuff and a full warranty. Saved about 100 bucks that way. I often use it in my Champ pickup as a speedometer as mine in the truck doesn't work (different tranny and haven't bothered to get the right gears yet....you know the deal). I also use it as an odometer. I recently took a trip in my Ford f150 4x4 to West Virginia. I traveled almost 1600 miles total and found that my truck's odometer was almost 70 miles short of what I traveled according to the GPS.

Comment

ditto on the odometer, I know my speedometer is off in the GTA, 50 is 55, 60 is 66 and so on. On Power Tour, car odometer read 35... something and Garmen said 3885. I would call it 10% off. ;)
                Living the dream!

Comment

Originally posted by bnjny
                  Google maps on a smart phone.

Why?

Free, easy to use and is in real time, all the time.
                  tried that same idea on my Verizon droid phone. Google maps only works where there's a decent internet connection - they fall completely apart if you lose the internet connection. I was kinda disappointed as this happened multiple times on our roadtrip from Omaha to Kansas City. Was hoping to be able to ditch the Garmin 205 (give to the wife) but, no go. Every time the phone switchedto "1xRTT" or whatever the slower network is called, the map lost it's data and became almost useless. Maybe I was doing something wrong, though!! (entirely possible!)
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I have the bottom of the bucket Tom Tom and it does ok. Every now and again it does something dumb, like get me and Tony spun out in downtown Erie, Pa when pulling a trailer...

Works for me.

Brian
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrari812
                      Get a compass. I use a boat compass in the car. Works wonders. Cheap and effective.
                      x2
                      plus my blackberry has gps mapping

Comment

Bought a Garmin 205W at Best Buy. They were running a special for $109. Not bad. Anniversary is tomorrow. She has been wanted one of these for at least a year. She's gonna love it. Thanks for the advise everyone. Once again, you have been a great help.
                        Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

I recieved a Maylong GPS as a present - - they get so-so reviews online, but I've had no trouble with mine. Infact, I like it better than my In-Laws Tom-Tom by far. It seems to be a slightly less fancy version of the Garmin my friend has, they almost seem to share the same basic software.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Kim Kommando recommended a Garmin 265 and we love it. We have been using a laptop with Delorme Street Atlas in out motorhome and find the 265 gives better directions. It is also available in a W for wide screen. Bought it from Amazon.

Jim

Comment

Well, I gave her the Garmin today. She loved it. She was so surprised I bought it (in addition to being poor, I'm a tight wad). Thanks for all the recommendations. You guys have helped me feel better about something I don't know much about.
                              Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Got a Garmin 255, works pretty good. I got parts stores programed into it and changed the voice to Stewie from Family Guy. That annoyed the hell out of my dad one day when he used it and couldn't figure out how to turn it off LOL.

Comment

Working...
                                X