Bench Race Session: Subject Cadillac V8's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench Race Session: Subject Cadillac V8's

Me and Carl were leaning over Gregg's Eldo today talking about what could be fun in a Cadillac build. Stuffing a Caddy/th425 into the back seat of a Corvair even came up.

We are looking for more info on heads, blocks, aftermarket sources and such. Any of you guys out there Bangshiftdom ever played with these?

Those of you that have bench raced these torque monsters chime in as well.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Re: Bench Race Session: Subject Cadillac V8's

I sold the remnants of a 365 last year to a guy who has some neat early caddies in some even neater, earlier fords.

The later cad motors (distributor in front) just don't have the cool look of the early ones. But they do have lotsa cubes...they're light...they're torquey...they can make a light car go fast. be fun to put one in an acura

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The big inch Caddy is a great motor for building a ton of torque on a budget. And they are lighter than the other big blocks. If you want to get really big power, you will spend about as much as on any other big block.

I put one in an Elcamino and it turned out to be pretty decent. Went 13.18 in the 1/4, drove nice, got 16 mpg with the AC blowing. I used a '70 500, freshend it up a bit with rings and a hone, bearings, cam from MTS, and a valve job.

You can see it here if you want: http://public.fotki.com/HemiJoel/elcamino/

Comment

do it...
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

That Caddy is AWESOME!
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Hemi Joel
            The big inch Caddy is a great motor for building a ton of torque on a budget. And they are lighter than the other big blocks. If you want to get really big power, you will spend about as much as on any other big block.

I put one in an Elcamino and it turned out to be pretty decent. Went 13.18 in the 1/4, drove nice, got 16 mpg with the AC blowing. I used a '70 500, freshend it up a bit with rings and a hone, bearings, cam from MTS, and a valve job.

You can see it here if you want: http://public.fotki.com/HemiJoel/elcamino/
            liking that color. wow.

I remember a broke guy local had a 5 zero something cadillac. By the time they never got it going correct, they realized it should have stayed a "small" engine. 9 to 1 if challenged would still pull a house down...better than high compression.
            of course it is reasoning like this that leaves those in the know digging at junk piles for the reality that remains.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

There is a place in Florida, but I don't remember the name. Here is another one in NM>

Cad Company
              8333 Jefferson NE
              Albuquerque, NM 87113
              Tel: (505) 823-9340
              FAX: (505) 797-0627

Comment

If your going to build the motor, or will eventually want to, stay away from it...
                Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Lots of options on the 472/500 engines now a days.

Potter Automotive has a full line of parts. From stock to Ported aluminum heads, This is their Ebay site, their regular website is down right now. http://stores.ebay.com/potter-automotive

MTS also has a complete line of parts: http://www.500cid.com/Home.htm

While they can built to 700+ hp they really shine with the simple bolt-ons. Intake, ported heads, cam+ valve train, and headers.

The weak links are the stock rocker system and timing chain. The stock cast rods hold up well with ARP bolts in them. Several aftermarket rods and piston packages are available.

If you do one, make sure the upper timing chain gear bolts are replaced with the ones that came out of the gear. They are a specific length. Too long and they will tap on the block when running.

Memeber Affordillac has gone 9's with one in a Mustang.

I've dipped into he 10's at 4600lbs with my boat

Comment

:o I think I need to change my shorts!
                    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by seanm
                      Lots of options on the 472/500 engines now a days.

Potter Automotive has a full line of parts. From stock to Ported aluminum heads, This is their Ebay site, their regular website is down right now. http://stores.ebay.com/potter-automotive

MTS also has a complete line of parts: http://www.500cid.com/Home.htm

While they can built to 700+ hp they really shine with the simple bolt-ons. Intake, ported heads, cam+ valve train, and headers.

The weak links are the stock rocker system and timing chain. The stock cast rods hold up well with ARP bolts in them. Several aftermarket rods and piston packages are available.

If you do one, make sure the upper timing chain gear bolts are replaced with the ones that came out of the gear. They are a specific length. Too long and they will tap on the block when running.

Memeber Affordillac has gone 9's with one in a Mustang.

I've dipped into he 10's at 4600lbs with my boat

Comment

bulldog heads

Comment

Bulldog doesn't build the heads anymore. MTS has bought and revised the molds for those heads. Potter also makes their own heads.

Comment

I ran a demo derby with a 500" Caddy.... won....

Fun stuff...

Comment

thought schwartz had an olds motor in that cadd

Comment

Working...
                              X