Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys who know stuff about truck tires

Hey there,

So I am going to score tires for Goliath and don't want to look like a complete rube when ordering them. I'm looking for 9R22.5 rear tires for the truck. I want to get retreads because they're cheaper, the truck won't be working with big loads on it, and it'll probably be the only set of tires I ever buy for the truck.

I'd like to get some type of agressive tread pattern because I think it'll look cool.

So what types of questions should i be asking about these things? What info are the tire guys going to want from me?
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Guys who know stuff about truck tires

not familiar with that size of tire...I would look for something like a snow tire....agressive tread pattern, good in mud, rain, snow, and function fine on the dry road...my old man ran them all year long on his old chevy cuz cool mud tires were too expensive, he used to get retreads as well and they used to last quite a long time, never had real big loads...

on a more useful note....I would suggest only getting retreads for the back...some states have laws against running retreads on the front due to a higher chance of a blow out...
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

The steer axle tires are minto and I am not going to change them. If I was doing all six, I was thinking of going with a little taller :o tire to bump the top speed over 60 mph

The tires on the front end are standard looking "5-rib" style tires. If I have to do those all around, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but something chunky would be cool in the rear. \

This is basically what I have on there now (but worn down)

Comment

Brian-the oly hauler "big" trucks have similar sizes and this is what I learned from the last one-the retreads are a bad deal. Sitting kills them as much as heat (while driving) does and when they come apart, if there is a car behind you and his grille eats the tread, you get to pay for it. The six tires I put on the last truck cost me 1500.00 for brand new, didn't giv eme the grief the retreads did. Look on ebay daily-there are some great deals on low use tires in your sizes frequently on there.
        67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
        05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Good advice Scott!

I'll see what's cooking on e-bay. CL has been a bust for a couple of weeks.

Brian

Comment

to bad you couldn't find a pair of cerment mixer front rims..
            with the 12-14 wide rim and big by huge wide tires..
            maybe pl landers has an extra set lay'n around in hanover,,
            their office is in hanover on winter street

Comment

It would look totally bad ass with the big flotation tires on the front. My dad's company is right down the street from them.

Maybe they'll find one of their trucks up on blocks in the morning. :D

(maybe not)

Brian

Comment

They are going to ask you the "load rating" of the tire you want. But they can explain that to you when your buying them, as I'm not sure if they rate the big truck tires the same way they rate car tires.

Comment

retreads like any remanufactured part can go bad. The safety of them can be debated much like anything else....If you go with a reputable retread tire place you probably will not have an issue with the low miles, and low speeds you will be operating...an interesting tidbit for you....90% of the main landing gear tires on our aircraft are retreds...
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I'd not get retreads.. why.
                    because of lack of use..
                    as they sit, they will flat spot, and when used.. thump till round again.. this will work against the savings of a retread..

at work ,in the winter the trailers that sit for extra storage.. at the holidays.. peel treads when put back in use...

Comment

Most Truckers use retreads, if that means anything.

Brain if you looking at putting less than 10,000 miles a year on that thing I wouldn't worry about if they are retreads.

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
                        Most Truckers use retreads, if that means anything.

Brain if you looking at putting less than 10,000 miles a year on that thing I wouldn't worry about if they are retreads.
                        YES THEY DO, BUT THEY ARE ALWAYS IN USE
                        I'm thinking this truck's gonna sit idle alot more than a normal in use truck..

Comment

Talked to a couple tire shops today for pricing and info.

Lots of the same concerns were brought up with respect to the retreads versus new. As it turns out 9R22.5 is kind of an odd size and two of the shops were trying to push me to the 10R22.5 but that means I'd have to do all six tires and trust me when I say that I am literally counting my pennies. Those extra two tires are a budget killer, plus they are 1/2 inch wider and may touch one another when mounted which would be way bad.

In the end, I am leaning toward 'treads (not ignoring people's opinion's....just examining the moths flying out of my wallet) and putting the truck up on jack-stands over the winter or when it is going to be immobile for a long time.

It's on retreads now and previous to Monday, sat in the same spot for several months and wasn't thumping me to death. The guy at the shop who I am getting the tires from brought up the fact that the truck is a lightweight in comparison to lots of stuff that wear this type of rubber and some of the concerns that would happen to them on heavier trucks (i.e. dump trucks, tractor trailers) aren't applicable here.

Brian

Comment

you got p.m.'s

Comment

If you are not prepared to maintain your tires on a disciplined regular
                              basis, meaning checking air pressure, not mismatching duals, checking for
                              foreign objects in the tread area, being certain your tires are properly
                              aligned, pulling your tires before they reach the legal tread limit, then
                              retreads probably won?t work for you. But then again, neither will tires that
                              have never been retreaded. In other words, it you take care of your tires,
                              your tires will take care of you
                              Here Brian, maybe this will help ease the mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X