X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rustproofing Techniques?

Kindly share what works for you
    re: rustproofing your treasured ride(s). --

Always interesting to hear of new & novel chemicals, paints, protective treatments, etc.

Guys from the various "rust-belts" around the US & Canada
    have had to adapt to harsh salty highways for a long time,
    and surely have many interesting & helpful suggestions.

Whatever you're doing to fight the "tin worms", please share w/us! --

Re: Rustproofing Techniques?

Being from the rust belt I'm always interested in hearing rust treatment/proofing techniques.Especially bucks-down stuff I can do in my backyard (when it isn't full of snow)I usually use a wire wheel on a drill to start,forward/reverse.If the metal's completely impregnated with rust,I cut it all out and weld in a patch.Sandblasting is more thorough,but sand gets EVERYWHERE,and I cover the bare steel immediately with rust convertor (extend and such) or else primer.Whenever I use that convertor stuff,I scuff it up and primer over it before painting.They all seem to be different,but pretty much all of them need a primer within a couple of days.On undercar (or beater) stuff I use rust oleum primer and paint.That Krylon high zinc primer seems to work pretty good too.I've attached a pic looking for car junkie opinions on how I should go about the last real rust issue with my 'Cuda (I hope)
    There's this little pocket on the firewall where the windshield wiper motor sits.All the leaves and pine needles and other tree crap plug up the slot at the bottom,and it rots.While the engine's out this area is my priority.If I cut this all out and make a patch,I'll be doing a lot of welding.I don't want to catch the insulation/dashboard on fire,but I don't really want to tear it all out.Right now I'm thinking of wire wheeling it,then using JB Weld or Quicksteel to fill the holes,then rust treatment,zinc primer,etc.Is this redneck/ghetto?Suggestions?

Comment

I don't know if it's still available, but the best stuff I know of is the old Texaco stuff. It's grease-based and creeps EVERYWHERE. Creeping is good in this case, as it gets the stuff into all the nooks and crannies. The spray-can type products, as well as Ziebart, are wax based and therefore kind of stay where they land, so they don't work their way into where it needs to go. There was another company in Ann Arbor when I was there called Auto Rust Check, and they squirted a WD-40 like substance all over, followed by a wax based solution. Seemed like a good idea, but the only experience I had with them was when I had them squirt a car I had welded together - I hate to send a car out that might rust in two later (this was a Focus I put an A-pillar in). Sold the car to a niece of a friend, and so far it's holding up OK.

Sometimes this stuff (either type) will drip down here and there, and it's important to clean it up quickly. It can eventually stain the paint, and I even have a spot on the F150 where a drip came down from the hood onto the headlight door and ate a bit of the chrome off the plastic.

Hope this is helpful
      Dan

Comment

I used a lot of grease cleaner then washed it out then dried it with a heat gun. Then I painted it with a good coat of the color paint I was going to use for the Car (Used abrush for the areas that were hard to get into) The insides of the doors looked as nice as the outside. DId the insides of the quarter panels too.

On my Old Ford truck I did the Underneath of the fenders with Rhino Liner, nice solid sound and It has held up for 12 yrs.

Comment

I used Bar and chain oil shot out of an undercoating gun. The acid in there neutralizes the rust a little and it cheap just messy. I used a metal can that had reducer or something in it the screwed to the bottom of the undercoating gun and just poured the stuff in and sprayed the bottom of the car with the compressor around 50lbs its time consuming but seem to work it kind of spits it out. Way upstate NY (buffalo area) there is supposed to be places that will do this for you with some kind of chemical (I dont know what it is).I got the bar and chain oil method from a VW bus website.

Comment

Move to California?

Comment

Chip off the big flakes, then spray it with Ospho. It converts the rust to something that's not rust, and it's a primer. Wait 24hrs, then paint to seal/protect.

I hear por-15 works well, too, but it's expensive...and it's not a top coat. It needs to be covered after it cures.

Comment

Around here there is a place that sprays vehicles with oil. It looks like used motor oil, but I doubt that's what it is. The state would never allow that. They spray the entire underneath of the car and get inside the doors, etc through factory holes. You can always spot the ones that just had it done, the stuff leaks everywhere, and it gets on the outside a little. Just drive down a dirt road immediately after and you're all set. This works very well.

As far as rust repair, everyone has their own techniques. I prefer to buy clean metal panels from CA for my own cars. If I can't find what I need, I clean it the best I can to remove any scale and as much surface rust as possible, then treat with Duplicolor rust converter. Then prime using a quality etching primer. If there are holes, then it's time to cut out the rust, make a panel to fit, then weld it. I prefer to make my repair panels fit flush, not flange them as some people do. I feel flanging them leaves a seam to start rusting again. Cleaning the rust properly, then using quality converters/primers is key to making the repair last.

Comment

I hate rust!!! Nothing stops it... it's nasty...

Did I mention I hate rust? NASTY NASTY NASTY stuff....

I'd say living in the snow belt while interesting... has No merit when it comes to REAL rust... One trip to Bonneville and you'll learn about Rust... it's Nasty

Keith

Comment

Move to Arizona?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

What you all need is an electric rust module. It sits under your hood and uses your battery to send a small electric charge thoughout the entire car. Way better than goo because goo will not protect the suspension/powertrain components or anywhere above the glass because you can't spray the goo anywhere it may run. (ie. the roof)

Best of all, if you don't want it simply take it off and put it on your next car. I work for a Honda Store in Canada and if you get one of these jobbies on your new car it comes with a life time rust warranty. I know they work and way better for the environment.

I can get these if anyone is interested.

Comment

Working...
                      X