Thoughts on clones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on clones?

In my search for a 1970 Chevelle SS project, I've come across so many clones it makes me wonder what actual car enthusiasts think about doing this. I could easily find a regular Chevelle, do a little research, and have a sweet lookin clone by HRPT time next year. I just feel like that's the easy way out and I'd rather own up to it being a regular Chevelle and sink the cash I'd use to clone it in the engine instead. Any thoughts or advice?
    Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Re: Thoughts on clones?

No problem with them, as long
    as they aren't trying to pass them off as real.

Comment

Who needs an SS when you can have a Malibu?

Seriously, I never got the "my car is better cuz it has badges" thing. Any most cars can be fast and/or good looking without being the top model available for their year. Put the money in the motor and forget badge engineering.

Good clones are cool. Poorly done clones bite.
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer
        Who needs an SS when you can have a Malibu?

Seriously, I never got the "my car is better cuz it has badges" thing. Any most cars can be fast and/or good looking without being the top model available for their year. Put the money in the motor and forget badge engineering.

Good clones are cool. Poorly done clones bite.
        As usual - Gene and I agree completely - I can't say it any better than that.

And - how about your own interpretation / selection of the options / features YOU think are cool on a car?
        it's going to be a 'clone' anyway- so why even worry about it being "correct" in any fashion?

those who try to pass off anything foney as the real deal should be removed from the gene pool
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I like them as long as they are not passed off as the real thing...me...I would rather have the plain-jane base modle and make it my own
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by min301
            definately.

As a worker, I'd go almost a clone but with strengths added, experience of the chassis from when they were really driven.

a 396 in a chevelle? I do not care what it is called. Just don't be a faker.
            and put the strongest 5 speed in. ;D

I have messed with one of a kinds, just to make it even better, and to hell with oem.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
              I like them as long as they are not passed off as the real thing...me...I would rather have the plain-jane base modle and make it my own
              X2

Base models are affordable, real, and fun to beat on.

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                X2
                "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

Ditto......just don't pass them off as the real deal

Seems that clones are made to perform like the real deal but not
                  the worry of destroying a rare care.

Drive it and have fun.........it's what I did with my '70 Nova
                  with the transplanted 427.

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I wouldn't build a clone because I wouldn't enjoy delivering the, "no its not a real one" conversation everywhere I drive. I understand the motivation as so many of the coolest cars of the past are unobtainium but I'd rather have real whatever I managed to cobble together than a pretend something else.
                    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

So I should stop telling people mine is an original GS ??? :P
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                        No........just tell them the
                        owner is a clone

:D
                        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

You mean its not?
                          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I'm starting to see a pattern to the replies lol. The whole clone vs. original thing is why it's taken me so long to even seriously look for one. I can't, with a clear conscience, let people think I have an SS when it's not; with me what you see is what you get. That's why my Mustang drives me crazy (it's a carriage top and not a convertible). It looks like I'll be resuming my search tomorrow for a regular Chevelle to start tearing apart and putting back together. I can't wait to get back in the garage ;D
                            Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                              No........just tell them the
                              owner is a clone

:D
                              My Old Man circa 1969 :D

And for EagleKammback :D

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X