Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on clones?

Originally posted by Remy-Z
    Look at the bright side: No bitching because you cut up a rare one.
    Exactly. Since I seem to have a lot more free time lately I'm planning on doing as much of the work as possible myself and let's just say my welding/metalwork skills are rusty at best. I'd feel horrible messing up a real SS.

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff
    besides, are you doing a 100% concours resto on it? if not, who cares if it has some extra badges on it. It's your car. if you want to put a ford or mopar engine in it, it's your choice. to hell what others think. build it the way you want.
    Absolutely not. The plan is to build it for cruising and maybe even a little drag racing, so there's WAY too many goodies I want in it for it to ever look original ;D I might as well build my car like I live my life, huh?

Thanks for helping me make up my mind guys! Looks like it's time to hit up craigslist again...I've only got 332 days to get this done!
    Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Dude ... your car, build it however you see fit. The clone or "tribute" cars as they are now called, don't bother me one bit. If that's what you want, go for it! My motto has always been "anybody can restore one, it takes a real man to cut one up"!
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
        Dude ... your car, build it however you see fit. The clone or "tribute" cars as they are now called, don't bother me one bit. If that's what you want, go for it! My motto has always been "anybody can restore one, it takes a real man to cut one up"!
        Or in this case a real woman? ;) I get your point though lol.
        Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

OOOPS!...shoulda read your sig, but then again, it is MY motto...lol
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Clones are a good thing, they grow the plant faster than starting from a seed.....

Oooops wrong board :D :D :D

No seriously, at this point in the game if someone does a clone of a rare car, the more power to him. Face it all these rare cars are just the same car with options and at that some weren't even Factory options, but Dealer options. So what is the problem if someone decides to add these options at a later point, the car is still the same car, but now has the options that the rare one has. It's about the look/drivetrain and in the future that is all people will care about.

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
              Clones are a good thing, they grow the plant faster than starting from a seed.....

Oooops wrong board :D :D :D
              Well if that's really what you wanna talk about my degree IS in agriculture lol.

Comment

Originally posted by catchmeblue70
                In my search for a 1970 Chevelle SS project, I've come across so many clones it makes me wonder what actual car enthusiasts think about doing this. I could easily find a regular Chevelle, do a little research, and have a sweet lookin clone by HRPT time next year. I just feel like that's the easy way out and I'd rather own up to it being a regular Chevelle and sink the cash I'd use to clone it in the engine instead. Any thoughts or advice?
                I am a fan of clones. If I can build something in my driveway that does everything the factory version does (looks/perf.) for a fraction of the cost....I'M IN! I was cloning 69 Z-28's 30 yrs ago, and they sold like hot cakes. For the most part, the buyer was just interested in the hood/spoilers/stripes/badges. He just wanted the "look" without the cost
                STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by catchmeblue70
                  In my search for a 1970 Chevelle SS project, I've come across so many clones it makes me wonder what actual car enthusiasts think about doing this. I could easily find a regular Chevelle, do a little research, and have a sweet lookin clone by HRPT time next year. I just feel like that's the easy way out and I'd rather own up to it being a regular Chevelle and sink the cash I'd use to clone it in the engine instead. Any thoughts or advice?
                  look a real SS you pay extra money for the fact that the factory bolted parts on it.. 40+ years ago..
                  most do not have the parts there left the factory with, they have same in like and kind.. paying good money for a real deal SS/etc just doesn't make sense, for a driver.. the clone is the same car only YOU bolted it together.. not the factory.. cause I gonna ask..
                  is a restored SS a real deal or a clone.. cause someone else other than the facotry bolted it together with some parts it came with and alot of replacement parts...\
                  I'm builting an SS , not so much a clone.. more of a restomod.. as mine will be 71-72 tail lights and 70 nose..
                  but.. if you want to spend extra money for a build sheet.. it's your money..
                  also less chance of getting burned wth a clone. as there are more "real " SS 's than the factory ever made 40 years later ???

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD

also less chance of getting burned wth a clone. as there are more "real " SS 's than the factory ever made 40 years later ???
                    Groucho?? > ;) :D :D :D :D

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
                      Originally posted by IRONHEAD

Groucho?? > ;) :D :D :D :D
                      Masking paper STILL on the windshield? : ;D :P
                      STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                        When I bought my RR thats what I thought I wanted.The more I drive it I want something I can beat the crap out of. ;D

Comment

Working...
                        X