Vacation week and Day Trips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation week and Day Trips

So its vacation week for us still in the manufactured housing world, I am a supplier. Lots of other industry is off this week also, but we are not really traveling or going far this week but instead doing stuuf at home and short little day trips and such.Somehow I am sick, the wife is sick and our son Hudson is getting over a little sickness, I am not in the best of spirits but will be better soon , just colds and sinuses.

So Friday we went to Dollywood in Piegon Forge,we have season passes for it and Splash Country, always a good time, and today just chasing around for some good wine to make the colds and effects go away.
    The following pics are from the trips.

The covered bridge in Sevier County Tn

2 buildings exactly the same,twins if you will, really dont know the history.These are located in Lee County Va on US58 about 12 miles from Cumberland Gap TN in Ewing Va.

Brooks Gas Station, just 1/8 mile down the road from the 2 garages. Now owned by Roger Brooks a friend of mine. Inside is some old toys,a few classic items a mid 60's Belvedere more door with a 413 wedge getting a resto.

And straight across the street is this Theatre ,although falling in, the outside is in decent shape,love the theatre marquee and the ticket booth.

To me , this is classic Americana.

Re: Vacation week and Day Trips

Love the buildings.... any more pic's???

Comment

Thats all I have at the moment, I am planning on a return trip to get pics of the more door Belvedere , just hitting some points that spark an interest in me. I have plans on more abandoned gas stations and buildings of a past life from the turn of the century through the 70's , plenty of that within 45 minutes or less. Downtown Middlesboro Ky, Tazewell /New Tazewell Tn, Cumberland Gap, Sharps Chapel Tn are on my list.

Comment

Very cool..... I've started seriously checking out old " Mom and Pop" stores.... small groceries... something in that just flips my switch.... don't have any pictures yet... but I'm going to have...

K

Comment

Trips like that are great, getting off the freeway and looking around to what cool stuff is out there in the good old USA. Have fun!

Comment

I had one of those Texaco tanker trucks when I was a kid. Steer the wheels by tilting the cab. Yeah ....I got one now too! ;D

Comment

Very cool pic's Jerry. Thanks for sharing.

Oh how those twin buildings would make a neat hot rod shop or car club hangout.
              Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

They would be nice for that, I have since found that a guy named Daniels used those for a garage most recently, the only other issue about the buildings is that a Church is dead next door.

Sorry for no more pics yet, my sicknees took a bad hold on me, went to the doctor got a shot and antibiotics and feeling better, will be out and about later today

Comment

Well I am back and feeling better so I got out today to get a few pics

This building is a gas station as you can tell, its located in Sharpes Chapel Tn. in Union Co just off TN33. I hate to see properties like this just run down, but sometimes there is just not enough residents to keep a small store open.

Here is some pics of a well known Gulf Station in Tazewell Tn ,its right on US25E and TN33. It is Rose Gulf Service Station( my last name is Rose, but no relation).

This building was built in 1819 ,almost 200 years ago. This is the Old Claiborne County Jail, efforts are underway to restore this building.

This is our stately County Courthouse

Here is a view of Main St in Tazewell TN, no stores operating on Main anymore, mostly tax guys and lawyers.

Comment

Here is a building originally housed a new car dealership called Coffey Motor Co. ,although I am not for sure which brand it sold, I believe it was a Chevrolet dealership. It now houses England Furniture Ind(Lazboy) Maint. Shop. It is just 2 blocks from my house. It England would ever leave I would be after this building like white oon rice.

These next pictues are of 3 buildings connected and all owned and built by the same family beginning in 1929, they was used for construction, painting , and for Payne Motor Co. ,which sold tractors and parts.This is the center section.

Right hand section.

Left hand unit

I want this sign

A inside shot of the building

And a back alley shot of those 3 buildings, all I see is a neat place for a renovation and some neat Hot Rod shops.

This is a original town sign on the City Hall of New Tazewell

Main St in New Tazewell heading South the LH side of the St

And the Right side

Comment

Just a little note on the towns of Tazewell and New Tazewell Tn. This is 2 towns totally seperate in goverments, police ,and both are in the same county. They do connect boundries also.

I did manage to have a little fun and get out on Norris Lake, its just 15 minutes from town.
                      My son trying to raid the porch on the camper for goodies

On the pontoon waiting to get wet

Me ,soaking up the sun

This private dock is always rocking , it rivals the local watering hole on the water for size and just how nice it is. If I get rich , I want one like this.

Comment

nothing like low cost commercial property
                        non existent here in the state of gardens
                        if it is abandoned , it is a contaminated waste site

Comment

Working...
                        X