tragedies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tragedies

A 21 year old dude died this morning after hitting a parked car during the soap box race.Our thoughts are with his family.

Also, an older guy died on the first pass in Top Fuel here at the March Meet.

Bad weekend.

Re: tragedies

http://www.nitrogeezers.com/john_shoemaker.htm a little info about john shoemaker.

http://www.bakersfield.com/hourly_ne...ry/384552.html and the story.

no chute, no kill switch, didn't lift the whole way. i guess the engine blew by the second turn out, and he kept it in his lane the whole way.
    i heard some one say he was slumped over the wheel at the 800' mark, so maybe a heart attack?
    i feel bad for his wife.
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Wow..and while his wife watched..terrible.
      Don
      "Big cars need lovin too"

Comment

hopefully for them it was fast and painless. my thoughts and prayers go out to the families

Comment

My thoughts are with them.

Comment

About the only good thing that can be said is they died doing something they loved. Condolences go out to the family.
            1964 Chevelle
            Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
            LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

My condolences to the families, its always sad to see a death in Motorsports, or any sport for that matter.

Comment

Bummer, prayers go out for the families.

Comment

Damn it.....

Seems like the only car-related news I hear anymore is how another car guy has passed away.
                  :'(

My condolences to the Shoemaker family......

Comment

My heart felt condolences to both families. I truly hope this is the end of a pretty tragic season in the Automotive community. Please be safe out there everyone.
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Makes you think.

Comment

At Maxton, we're a pretty silly bunch. Until it comes to safety. There's no compromise there. Keith & Joe really won't let you run if they think it's unsafe, based on the rules, and I'm glad for that. That said, I'm sure this car passed tech and the accident couldn't have been avoided. If he was, indeed, slumped over the wheel - what a great way to go if it was time anyway. Having done the heart attack/nearly died thing, I wouldn't mind going that way if I had to go anyway. It's those left behind that my heart aches for - best to them.

Dan

Comment

Was that the derby that was sort 'a outlaw on the street ?

Comment

Hoosier...yeah, that's the one.

The police will be all over those guys like a new suit if/when they decide to run again.

I've never been a fan of the "doing what they loved" thought process. The only thing that I love doing in which I would like to expire is sleeping.

It's very sad on both fronts. It certainly seems as though the driver of the fueler was incapacitated shortly after the car left the starting line. A veteran driver like that would have been able to kill the mags, kill the fuel..etc. I hope for his sake and his family's piece of mind, that was the case.

Brian
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

John Shoemakers last run is on Youtube. It was an erie thing to hear the motor full on for several seconds past the traps. It made a profound impact on several of my friends that work at the track and were on the seen as well as some of my racing buds that didn't see it. Our parties were very differant that night. My prayers are with his family and friends. I have a renewed respect for all of the gladiator type guys and girls that go out there and really put it all on the line for the sport that we all love. For the rest of the weekend I cheered every pit crew that came back down the track win or lose they all deserve it.
                              March 8 2008 50th Anniversary March Meet qualifying run. RIP John you will be missed.

Comment

Working...
                              X