GM interchangability.... Mostly good, sometimes not so good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM interchangability.... Mostly good, sometimes not so good

So I'm sure most of ya'll have been bitten by something like this but I wanted to rant on it. GM's legendary use of "brand engineering" to make a Skylark, Chevelle, and Lemans out of a simple A-body platform continued till the present day for the most part. Most of the time if it was designed for an A-body and wasn't something like a bellhousing or a distributor it was probably somewhat close to interchangeable. Now there are time when it will bolt on but won't work right.

I just got bit by this over the last 2 weeks. I'm wrapping up the final items to try to start the Riviera and been chasing the computer not getting power, lights coming on that don't really seem like they should be, and no power to the OBDII port. I've been using a Grand Prix wiring diagram and I thought I had a 00 Regal GS main harness and fusebox coupled to a Grand Prix interior harness. All W-bodies so should be the same.... WRONG!!!!
    Here's where the bolt together but doesn't work right comes into play. I pulled the part number off of the harness and convinced the local Chevy dealer to pull the number and I have a 97-03 Grand Prix GTP main harness, not a Regal GS harness. That's good since it means the interior harness and the main harness should be pinned the same though the Regal GS harness does plug in physically. The problem is the harnesses will also plug into the fuse box which is different! The top size and fuse locations are the same but the underside with the pins are different and that means no power to the ECM and odd combinations of power and ground to other things! I hope I've not fried something with the mismatch and I've got a real 99 GTP fuse box on the way so wish me luck!
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: GM interchangability.... Mostly good, sometimes not so good

Be careful about assuming...you know what happens!
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Oddly, a spare fuse box isn't one of the hundreds of GTP parts I have laying around here. I had a complete harness up till about a month ago. If you run into any other GTP parts you might need, drop me a message and I'll see what I have laying around. ;)

Comment

opps.. even a body wire'n wasn't the same for the same car..
        chevelle dash harness,, sweep with lights or gauges or SS with gauges and dumb dumb lights..
        71 and 72 they moved pins around in the firewall connector..
        compaired to the 70..
        interchange, never ment wire harness.. it be nice if it did..

Comment

fusebox underhood is a UBEC and is troublesome
          I would build my own fuse box [done it before ]

Comment

Stories like this make it all the more convincing to save up and spend the money on an aftermarket harness set up when I try something like this in the future. :o
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
              Stories like this make it all the more convincing to save up and spend the money on an aftermarket harness set up when I try something like this in the future. :o

I wish I did..
              engine harness /dash and front light harness was over 900.00
              in 94

Comment

jazuz....

- I hate to say this - but it's nice to hear some GM guys belly aching about the lack of interchangability. ;D

Don't get me started on how STUPID some of the Ford NON interchangable stuff is..... :
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                  jazuz....

- I hate to say this - but it's nice to hear some GM guys belly aching about the lack of interchangability. ;D

Don't get me started on how STUPID some of the Ford NON interchangable stuff is..... :
                  dad is a ford guy,, know all about it..

Comment

What the difference a fuse box can make!!!!

Pulled the old one out, unplugged it, plugged the GTP box up, installed it, modified the lid to fit under the fender, plugged the battery in and walla!!!! Lights that were on turned off, I had voltage where I was supposed to but not where it wasn't supposed to be! Turn the key to on and I got a low fuel warning light and I heard relays in the fuse center close! Hooked up the HPTuners and got a clean read on the PCM.

I've spent the last 2hrs reprograming the stuff that I want off to "non error reporting" and loading my new MAF and Spark tables since I'm using an LQ4 MAF and the heads are different so I started with an old LG3 FWD 3.8L NA SFI table. Wish me luck!
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Hooray!
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                      X