Buy a Corvette, build the engine yourself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy a Corvette, build the engine yourself

Usually when you buy a car you expect someone else to build it for you. But, for a price, GM is letting some Chevrolet Corvette buyers build the car's engine themselves.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Usually when you buy a car you expect someone else to build it for you. But, for a price, GM is letting some Chevrolet Corvette buyers build the car's engine themselves.

The "Engine Build Experience" is a $5,800 option on Corvette Z06 and ZR1 cars. Both are ultra-high-performance versions of the Corvette with engines that are hand-assembled at a plant in Wixom, Mich., near GM's Detroit headquarters. (The rest of the car is built at GM's Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green, Ken.)

Email Print Comment
    GM technician Bruce Blomfield assembles a Corvette engine at GM's Wixom, Mich. Performance Build Center.
    Customers who pay for the privilege will be invited to come to Wixom to assemble the engine for their car under the guidance of GM technicians. Once assembly is complete, a personalized nameplate is attached to the engine which is then sent to Bowling Green where it's put into the car.

"In a way, this is a dream program for a Corvette customer. I would have jumped at the chance to build the 427 in my '67 'Vette, and that didn't have half of what goes into one of these modern precision engines," said Tom Stephens, GM vice chairman for global product operations, in an announcement.

The roughly $70,000 Z06 has a 505-horsepower 7.0-liter V8 engine, while the $110,00 ZR1 has a 638-horsepower 6.2-liter engine.

The owner-built engines still get the same 5-year, 100,000 mile warranty as the engines the pro's build, GM said.

Customers must pay their own travel expenses, but a GM concierge will help with arranging lodging and meals while in the Detroit area.

0:00 /2:02A race car for the commuting set
    GM offers a number of special purchase programs for the Corvette including one in which owners can watch their car being built in the Bowling Green factory, and another in which the new owner can take possession of the car at the National Corvette Museum, also in Bowling Green.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Re: Buy a Corvette, build the engine yourself

wow....I got to build the engine for my Chevy myself, but I had to let the car depreciate first

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

what u think a zr1 with the engine built by "the grump" would be with in a few years..
      remember buyers of these cars use 50k as pocket change

Comment

I know guys that will be all over this.... ( remember I had a vette before I woke up )

Comment

huh before i read i though you could get the car with engine bits in the passenger seat.

Comment

Yeah... they'll sell a bunch of these. Its definitely something they will be able to sell to the kind of people who love throwing money around for the attention they get from it.
            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

IF you were rich, It would be cool to see more of
              what your car was made of :D Im not a vette guy
              but I think they would be alot of fun to own a super
              high performance car. In my life I dont even consider it!!!!
              I just want parts 4 my beaters, I would take the supercharged vette engine :D :D :D :D :D

BTW all the torquing is done by machines it looked pretty simple
              and you would be helped by there techs, Id probly more like a 5 year old helping dad
              build his engine ;) ;D
              COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

will they let me do up a 3208 caterpillar?
                ;D

Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Back when Corvette was in St. Louis......
                  you could watch your Corvette being
                  built as it went through the assembly line.

I've got a friend who ordered a big block '66 rag top.
                  He went and watched it being built and still has all the
                  matching paperwork today......car is long gone.

My brother worked for awhile there and some of the
                  stories are pretty cool.
                  Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main
                    will they let me do up a 3208 caterpillar?
                    ;D

now THAT would be fun!!! 8)

Comment

Working...
                    X