F-bombs away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-bombs away

Get ready for TV as you've never heard it before.

The FCC's indecency policy, which bars fleeting profanities and other indecency from the nation's airwaves, has been overturned by a federal court. In a surprise ruling, a three-judge panel in New York struck down the rule, calling it "unconstitutionally vague, creating a chilling effect that goes far beyond the fleeting expletives at issue here." The ban has been on the books since 2003, when Bono dropped an F-bomb during a live broadcast of the Golden Globes awards, and currently allows networks to be fined up to $35 million for each offense. That forces broadcasters to "choose between not airing or censoring controversial programs and risking massive fines or possibly even loss of their licenses, and it is not surprising which option they choose," today's ruling notes. "Indeed, there is ample evidence in the record that the FCC's indecency policy has chilled protected speech.

Re: F-bombs away

So they may go back to a lighter censorship, no biggie. I've been laughing for the last month, watching movies from the 80's I've DVR'd, PG movies where $h!t is said multiple times :P
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Ya but I don't think the "F" word has ever been allowed on the airways, and now it is.

Comment

>
        I don't like this at all
        Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
          Ya but I don't think the "F" word has ever been allowed on the airways, and now it is.
          It had historically been allowed but frowned upon as long as it wasn't in a sexual conotation. Sexual conotation warranted a fine, otherwise was just public taboo and cause for bad publicity, especially if it was during hours when kids are considered awake. It was waaay over reaction to Bono that changed it. I've heard the F-bomb accidentally dropped on broadcast TV before during interviews, baseball games, etc. They try and run a delay to catch 99% of it, but if the delay isn't there or the guy at the wheel is asleep... The change was the levying of BIG fines.

Comment

Also the key term to note is "fleeting". Which is quite different than the South Park type.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback
              >
              I don't like this at all
              you want regulated speech on TV, but you hate "socialized healthcare" ???

We better shut down this thread. it's headed for Politics. lol
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

While in the military, I used it almost every other word as a Noun, Pronoun, Verb, Adjective,
                Adverb, Participle, Interjection, Preposition and a Conjunction.

It took me about two years to remove it from my normal conversations.
                Glad I did too, it still seems to shock most people and therefore is not really appropriate.
                :-\

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                  While in the military, I used it almost every other word.
                  Used as a Noun, Pronoun, Verb, Adjective, Adverb and every other type of word.

It took me about two years to remove it from my normal conversations.
                  Glad I did too, it still seems to shock most people and therefore is not really appropriate.
                  :-\
                  you are an I/T guy are you not? I find that it's surprisingly common to hear/use the F-bomb in the daily grind. But I have to censor myself as soon as I leave the office!! wifey no like curse words!!
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Yes, you are correct, but my IT days were mostly on customer sites at uber conservative businesses.
                    I found the more I used it when I could get away with it, the easier it was to slip up when I'd get into trouble for it.
                    So I made a very concerted effort to eliminate it from my normal speech.

Now if I get really mad .... well then, that's another story !!
                    ;D

Comment

They are just sounds put together to convey an idea or mental picture, as are any words. People place the negative connotations upon these sounds that are often only one letter away from being a normal every day word. People take offense to some words, ideas, and images, but we do not have a right to not be offended. It is your choice to be offended or not by whatever it might happen to be. You do however, have a right to speak freely, even if that speech is offensive to some or all provided it is not a threat.

The FCC decided all on its own that television and radio were the only forms of communication that were to be censored. They were not elected, they were appointed, and they answered only to the President, not the people, congress, or anyone else. Therein lies the problem with the stiff fines, they made their own law and rules and forced anyone in the mass media to abide by them or be shut down. The FCC was originally put in place to ensure that stations did not intrude on the frequency of the neighboring ones, not to limit speech. Sounds somewhat like another 800lb gorilla in the room that puts restrictions on the cars we build.

I use profanity, I do not use it all the time or when it is not appropriate or needed. I can very effectively communicate and get my point across without saying the bad words. There is a social stigma involved with these sounds, and in an effort to be polite I refrain from uttering certain phrases or words. However, it is only self imposed politeness that limits what I use to convey my idea or meaning. Sometimes it has more impact not to use profanity, other times it is the only way to convey the full meaning, it all depends on the situation and circumstances. I chose my words dependent on the audience and what will achieve the effect I wish to convey, not due to an effort to refrain from offending anyone. I can very easily offend a wide swath of people without ever uttering profanity.

"Bad words" are like a tool, you use them in the right place and they are effective, use them in the wrong place and you are trying to torque a head bolt with a sawzall.

Comment

Okay.... I'm going to tread VERY lightly across this subject...

The problem I see with this is IF we let anyone do what they want ..... they will in fact do just that.... and like we've had a degradation in our society as a whole .... our language as protected by the FCC will fall willy nilly into complete dis-repair...

This coming from a guy who cusses like a sailor while telling you your BMW is Freaking GAY....

Comment

I agree to a part, Keith. While letting people do "whatever they want" is
                          dangerous(for influential reasons), they will do it openly regardless of the
                          legislation, or at least find loopholes to push things as far as possible.

I'm liberal and conservative in my life views, but I have definitely learned
                          that the more "open" cultures, whether in language, drinking age, etc.
                          tend to see a major decline in overuse of those activities. Once you take
                          the taboo out of something, it's no fun. Like realizing your parents like
                          or allow something, it no longer seems cool or trendy.

Comment

I look at it this way .... if I don't like what's on TV (it still pisses me off that I HAVE to have digital cable) I can change the channel or just turn it off.
                            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

sorry this is a crock..
                              have we not learned anything in 100 years..
                              can't drink till 21, what teens gonna do?
                              can't say cus words cause they're bad, guess what people use..
                              if say the f bomb was just another word.. it not be "cool " to break the rules and use it..
                              and it fade away into just another word..
                              but no.. that be to easy..
                              take the "bad" out of cus words and people will find other words to use..

Comment

Working...
                              X